Lightseeker

Can someone give a a “Basic intro into magick”

Title says it all. I would really like a simple explanation of the countless branches of magick from Enochian to Chaos, etc. I tried reading up on it, but would appreciate some simple definitions of the numerous types, and their functions.

29 minutes ago, Lightseeker said:

Title says it all. I would really like a simple explanation of the countless branches of magick from Enochian to Chaos, etc. I tried reading up on it, but would appreciate some simple definitions of the numerous types, and their functions.

theres some great magick forums out there. I’m not sure you’d get much here...

• Thanks 1

Why not start at the  beginning ?  Most modern 'branches' all come from a few sources. To look at all the modern branches IMO would be pointless.

For eg. A woman I know was in the OTO, she got to  4th Degree.  But she never did this root and branch study.   A few weeks ago she contacted me excited that she had seen an advert in her town for a 'Rosicrucian meeting group' .  I asked who they were and she showed me a leaflet. It was lectorium rosicrucianum . I told her how they were a spin off, off another group which is  spin off that originally started as AMORC  whose authority to start could only be shown by  the starter by producing a certificate that showed he had been initiated into Minerval ) degrees in OTO (which of course gives no such authority whatsoever  (it more like a reciept to saa that is their level in OTO, which is 'preliminary', 'trial' and 'pre-birth' level '.    Her own level had surpassed anything they might have to teach her already !    Not that this means she shuold not go, it might be fun .  depends what one wants out of it .

Here is a good starting point ;

664216.jpg

also available on line in pdf

• Thanks 1

Now the opposite can occur ;  mid to late 1800 there were a plethora of magical and initiatory secret societies and mysteries . Some were exceedingly complex. I wrote here elsewhere about the Rites of Memphis and Mizriam and how it used to have 97 levels !  Well, there were at least that many organisations around that had numerous levels.  Most were, by then defunct and many considered 'Un modern' outdated, inappropriate etc ( due to the rapid evolution since the 1700s ) however they also included here and there invaluable info that should not be lost. The problems was seen and 'The Masters " (of many of these bodies ) became concerned about lost knowledge. So they called this thing called 'The Secret Conference' and all got together to nut out a solution.

The obvious step was to preserve the gold and cut out the dross  and to find a body that could contain and preserve this new refined gold.  At that time they mostly decided it would be the OTO  ( the pre Crowley OTO  .... I think ,  I will check that, all this is from memory ) .

Later those 'mysteries' were all pared down to 9 degrees .

Sort of like a new trunk forming ... of course since then , this trunk has sprouted a myriad branches .   

Do you really want to examine every branch in the forest !  ? 

20 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

@Nungali How did you learn so much about what seems such a niche subject? The more I read your posts the more curious I get. Are you Ghandalf come back from across the seas?

I am old, I started young. I learnt in books and in the field by joining living practising.    Its my  niche ...  my 'Great Work' .   In my experience a LOT of people talk and opinion, not many at all have actually got in there, practiced it , lived it .  THAT is big teacher , one learns a lot from actually doing it :)

I probably 'done it before' too, as they say .    Same with shamanic indigenous stuff here . I am often asked by them how I could know certain things , some insist I am aboriginal .  I know about this side of things from family stories about me, things I cant even remember as I was so young .  

Also, no 'career' , other 'dedications' ,   family issues, kids , mortgage , debt, so not having to waste time working full time  for most of my life.  I put my path of choice first, before all that stuff . 

Oh yeah ... and that niche isnt all I know about   ;) 

Care to talk cultural anthropology , ancient history, soil science, geology, psychology,  bamboo construction,  nature, gardening, biodynamics, tarot symbolism, astrology, Universal number theory,  blah blah rant ..... :D 

OR

a shorter answer ;

Q .  How did you learn so much about what seems such a niche subject?

A ;   " Young Man!   Why is it   you did not !  ? "     ;)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

Why not start at the  beginning ?  Most modern 'branches' all come from a few sources. To look at all the modern branches IMO would be pointless.

For eg. A woman I know was in the OTO, she got to  4th Degree.  But she never did this root and branch study.   A few weeks ago she contacted me excited that she had seen an advert in her town for a 'Rosicrucian meeting group' .  I asked who they were and she showed me a leaflet. It was lectorium rosicrucianum . I told her how they were a spin off, off another group which is  spin off that originally started as AMORC  whose authority to start could only be shown by  the starter by producing a certificate that showed he had been initiated into Minerval ) degrees in OTO (which of course gives no such authority whatsoever  (it more like a reciept to saa that is their level in OTO, which is 'preliminary', 'trial' and 'pre-birth' level '.    Her own level had surpassed anything they might have to teach her already !    Not that this means she shuold not go, it might be fun .  depends what one wants out of it .

Here is a good starting point ;

664216.jpg

also available on line in pdf

I have seen this book before, was debating I should read it, or  The History of Magick by eliphas Levi. Do you know about that one?

12 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

I have seen this book before, was debating I should read it, or  The History of Magick by eliphas Levi. Do you know about that one?

Yes, I know about it and have read it .

For the third time .... I suggest you read Harpur ..... it describes the 'map'    later you can read Levi's  much more narrow  and less less educated (as so much research has been done since him )  view . 

• Thanks 1

Magic's not my thing, but I found this site, approachable and interesting.  Plus great graphics and cartoons and dare I say insight?  

https://ultraculture.org/blog/2015/11/13/psychonaut-field-manual/

Looking through it now.. its interesting.  Glad it gives many warnings.  Fine line between gaining power and madness.  Be real real careful with such things. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1