Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Shawshank : How Andy Escaped

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

At the moment I have nothing to escape from.

actual escape velocity is very high on purpose, so high that very few of us choose to pay the price or even recognize it.

• Like 3

Good point.  And it requires a heck of a lot of energy and will power.  For most it is better to remain in the middle of the herd.

In the middle of the herd is actually where you'll find the strongest cattle, they get the middle strength ones to go at the front and let the weakest bring up the rear - this then keeps them safest.

• Like 1

Escape velocity is high, and it is a velocity meaning it is constant, it's not a short term thing, a yearning must grow inside you.

Andy Dufrain plods tirelessly along with his small rock hammer, in secret, but at the end he make a great leap.
I would say that a series of leaps may be attempted, on top of the tireless plodding along and the surrender.
In meditation it's important to intersperse periods of non-doing with any activity.  5 minutes on, 5 minutes off, 5 minutes subtle will, 5 minutes surrender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Good point.  And it requires a heck of a lot of energy and will power.  For most it is better to remain in the middle of the herd.

and I'd also add other aspects that may (sometimes suddenly) come into play such as, "now or never" , "do or die", "sink or swim" , "a leap of faith", and Grace...

• Like 1

btw, once Andy got a ways into that pipe it became a "no turning back" (and "no backing out") situation where he pretty much let go of the relative security of staying alive in the prison and thus crawled forward with the very real possibly of getting stuck in the pipe and dying...

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

And therefore we follow out conviction else we are being a puppet of someone else.

true although I'd say "convictions" can be imprinted onto us at a very early age and need to be looked at now and then for possible re-evaluation,  (per new or evolving info.)  whereas when it comes to an event entailing basic survival and its associated aspects there may not be much time or space to intellectualize about it. 

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this