Papayapple

Holotropic breathing

I would like to start a loose discussion about any methods resembling the so called holotropic breathing.

Personally, I have recently experienced a great surge of chi in my hands during an intense tantra session, which involved that type of breath(combined with syncing the breath with ones partner).

What is the use, purpose, place of it in other practices? 

Edited by Papayapple
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, thelerner said:

Please tell us about the method.. ie breath pattern and for how long?  

Oh I only know it in most vague way. Breathe fast and shallow, till you get sort of lightheaded. Then continue for as long as possible :D

• Like 1

wholeness will not come from shallowness

Coined by psychiatrist Stanislav Grof. From ὅλος (hólos, whole) + -tropic (turning or changing), from τροπή (tropḗ, movement towards something) and τρέπω (trépō, turn towards something).

but it sounds like a good attitude towards training....something...

Hyperventilating... is panic breathing, anxiety breathing, and is all but useless to me.  It is characterized by rapid shallow breathing where the breath enters only the upper portions of the lungs... resulting in dizzy, light-headedness due to the brain (and orgains) all receiving insufficient fuel.

Hypoventilating... is often confused with hyperventilating, but is an entirely different animal.  This rapid, deep (to the bottom of the lungs with a big full santa claus belly on the inhale).  It was introduced to me as warrior breathing and is used in some types of Tumm-O and Pranayama.  Hypoventilation is a tool I use regularly which super-oxygenates the blood stream and conveys a host of benefits, including intense pain relief, supercharged euphoric perception, deep organ healing and heightened sensitivities to subtle energy.

• Like 1

I was introduced to the warrior breath after doing winter misogi, after a weekend of martial arts (Aikido), meditation, intense Shinto chanting we went into a river in January that was partially ice covered.  I was told if a person couldn't shake the chill, the sensei would have them do a few rounds of warrior breath that would usually snap them out of it.  Even though it was in the single digits and we had a long walk from the river to the shelter, no one needed it.

The last couple years I've done Wim Hof training.  Breath and cold stuff.  His breathing method tends to be 30 deep fast breaths, then usually a hold on the exhale.  The breathing changes your blood chemistry and heart beat a bit, releasing hormones and stuff like adrenaline.  It allows for long holds, even after exhaling your breath. 

Most often you do 3 rounds.  While hard at first, I've gotten to like it.  I'll do it first thing when I wake up a few times a week.  Why??  Some of it is relaxingly pleasant, maybe because it contrasts with parts that are suffocating, ie near the end of the hold, when my diaphragm pulses involuntarily and my fingers twitch and and brain says what the hell you doing.  At that point the in breath feels real good.  You relax in its peace.  At the beginning I'd have visions during the long holds, not any more. 

After doing it, I can do much longer breath cycles.. 10 in 40 hold 20 out.. Very peaceful.  I can't hold that breath sequence for long without doing the Hof method.  And the longer breath cycles bring on there own nice sense of peace.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2