wandelaar

Black Swans and Taoism?

No, haven't read it.

Based on the little of the prologue I just read it sounds like he is going to talk about the randomness of nature.  Unpredictability.

I can't recall Chuang Tzu ever mentioning swans.  He mentions other animals though.  The useless goose got cooked.  Counter to the argument that you have a better chance of living a long life if you are useless to others.

Certainty.  Is there such a thing?  He would likely speak to this often.

His flow of concepts might well be consistent with the Way of Tao.

There.  That's my useless opinion.

Thank you! It looks like the book contains an attack on rationalistic and technocratic approaches to social and political developments because of the important role of events with a small probability of happening but large effects when they do:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

The connection with Taoism might then be that the view commended by the book is quite sceptical about the idea that we can rationally control the (social) world.

• Like 1

Control.  I don't even control my own life.  I'm going to die when it's my time to die regardless of what I think about it.  But while I can still walk I can choose my own path to walk upon.

Great book and good author.  Black swans are dark events that people tend to think are rare, yet in reality happen much more often then popularly thought.. ie 50 year floods or market crashes.  It's a call to be aware of the reality of 'unlikely' negative events and be prepared for them.  The book isn't so much pessimistic as a call to see things in there true statistical light.

Imo, a must read for people in finance.  It's not so much Taoist, though it touches on clear thinking and acknowledging unpleasant pieces of reality.

<addon I was thinking of this when a member who sublet a house talked about an expensive 'resettlement tax'  due when a tenant leaves a rental.  The tenant leaving is an unknown and unknowable time, but when they do an expensive tax is due.  Thus a black swan, someday inevitably it'll hit.  What can one do?  Simply segregate a small amount of each rent payment into a separate account til its close to covering the tax.

ie Don't ignore black swans, don't panic, have a plan.  Often the best involve small steady preparations.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Black Swans are beautiful......

The black swan (Cygnus atratus) is a large waterbird, a species of swan which breeds mainly in the southeast and southwest regions of Australia. Within Australia they are nomadic, with erratic migration patterns dependent upon climatic conditions. Black swans are large birds with mostly black plumage and red bills. They are monogamous breeders, and are unusual in that one-quarter of all pairings are homosexual, mostly between males. Both partners share incubation and cygnet rearing duties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan

800px-Black_Swan_at_Martin_Mere.JPG

• Like 2

I was just in Stratford Canada.. the place is littered with swans.  Or rather the swans are littering the place.  Actually its very romantic, even with these long necked pests, the Shakespeare festival is lots of fun, they're doing a great Tempest. 

• Like 1

Just now, thelerner said:

I was just in Stratford Canada.. the place is littered with swans.  Or rather the swans are littering the place.  Actually its very romantic, even with these long necked pests, the Shakespeare festival is lots of fun, they're doing a great Tempest. 

They come around because people feed them.  I'm sure the people litter more than the swans do.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 7:10 AM, wandelaar said:

Has the thesis of this book something to do with philosophical Taoism?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081297381X/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2

I haven't read it myself and I am wondering whether that would be a good idea. (I have too much books already. :unsure:)

Has anybody here read it?

yes I read it.

see the post I just made in Phoenix's thread on the Dao and God - about contingency.