Sign in to follow this  
Souli

Qigong system for my grandma? Xiang Gong / Fragrant Qigong?

Hey guys,

thought you could help maybe. I'm coming from the Yoga side of spiritual practices and work a lot with spontaneous kriyas which is similar to spontaneous qigong but uses Kundalini instead of Qi.

I have tried some Qigong and liked it. Now I would like to find something that my grandma could practice everyday. She is doing her gymnastics moves every day for countless year to stay healthy but Qigong would be a lot better. So I wanted to know if someone can recommend something very simple, easy and basic.

It has to have a DVD so she can move along with it. The biggest problem is that she only speaks German so I'd have to translate the instructions until she can do it along with the video.

So far what I've come up with is Xiang Gong / Fragrant Qigong. It has only arm movements in level 1, doesn't require any breathing pattern or special focus of the mind and is quick and easy. The movements are also super easy to follow along. Any other ideas or opinions about the Xiang Gong?

• Like 1

I just tried Fragrant chi kung and I think it is great for Granny.

However if she's in good condition from doing, and still doing gymnastics then something that has some strengthening and stretching added might be more fun for her.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help.

Her "gymnastic" routine is quite basic and she's 87. She does a few exercises standing / seating and lying down but it keeps her moving and more or less "agile". Want to encourage her to try Qigong and see if she likes it or not. For this it has to be as basic as possible. So coordinating leg movements together with arms and stuff is too much as well as coordinating everything with the breath.

Will order the DVD for her and then move her through the sequence. From the videos I've seen she should be able to follow them easily after I've explained them a few times.

thanks

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Souli said:

Will order the DVD for her and then move her through the sequence. From the videos I've seen she should be able to follow them easily after I've explained them a few times.

Sounds good.  While I found that Fragrant chi kung has it's strong points and would be good for elderly or weak people, I find it really strange and quite foreign to the types of chi kung I've been learning and practicing for decades.

It may well be that your grandmother would enjoy some of the slow chi kung much more.  In fact with my own chi kung I have found that the more mature people are the more they like it, although it is probably too much for her.

I ran across this and think you should consider having her do something like this, have her give it a try and see how it works out.  this is more like 'real' chi kung.  You can ignore the breathing suggestions in the beginning with no ill effects.

https://youtu.be/faCUU9nYBDc

Edited by Starjumper

i've begun xiang gong myself lately, like it a lot. another suggestion might be the seated version of baduanjin

For short and easy I like Pan Gu gi gong, wonderfully simple. 

Edited by thelerner

llOf the 80-90 different styles of Qigong that I have tried I find none easier to do than Fragrant Qigong and it has tested as being very effective. The good news is that there probably is a German dvd of this from Emil who learns all these different qigong methods and then puts them on dvds to sell on his website. I can't recall his last name but if you search under emil doing qigong on youtube you will see his many youtube demos of qigong there and that will lead you to his website. 

I recently visited my 93 year old mother with the intention of teaching her qigong and I chose Fragrant Qigong for her but she said her arm motion limited so she did not want to even try it. But I believe she could have done it. 

Edited by tao stillness
to embelish
  • Like 1

In terms of recommending Pangu I am wondering how one gets past the boredom of doing that routine?

I posted in years past my amazing overnight healing from a serious virus by doing Pangu Qigong but I did not continue with for that long because it was very boring doing it. But it is simple and very effective. 

Edited by tao stillness
mispelled word
  • Like 1

I would also recommend Pangu Shengong: http://www.pangu.org

It’s dead simple to learn, safe, and has been used to treat all sorts of illnesses. Happy to answer any questions about it. 

Baduanjin / 8 Piece Brocade is broadly practiced and relatively easy to find follow-along YouTube videos, too.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this