lifeforce

Ghurni - Inner Whirling

This is something I experienced whilst meditating with a local Sufi meditation group. I've only just come across these quotes, and of the term, ghurni.

I tried explaining my experience to a few people but couldn't find the appropriate words. This sums it up perfectly.

I think it stems from the Non-dual Shaiva Tantra tradition. The first quote is from a book I'm currently reading which I highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recognition-Sutras-Illuminating-000-year-old-masterpiece/dp/098976138X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533123935&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=the+recognition+sutras&dpPl=1&dpID=51NE3p09B9L&ref=plSrch

The Recognition Sutras by Christopher Wallis.

"Ghurni, which usually refers to a mystical experience that is considered a sign of very high attainment, one in which the adept feels a kind of divine intoxication, combined with pleasant sensations of floating, whirling, swaying or spinning (which are sometimes thought indicate that the subtle body is moving quasi-independently of the physical body)"

and:

"Ghurni, Vibrant Whirling 

Ghurni is an untranslatable term, for the state it refers to 
does not belong to ordinary experience: it consists of a specifically 
mystical whirling, a vibration moving in all directions so intense 
as to defy the imagination. When its intensity increases to 
infinity, it becomes one with the ever-active primordial vibration 
and is none other than the fully-unfolded Kundalini in brahmarandhra. 
Staggering under the effect of his inebriation, the yogin is 
lifted to universal Consciousness and recognizes his identity with 
the entire world. Transcending spatio-temporal limits, now all-
knowing and all-powerful, he experiences the final pervasion. 

On close examination, this whirling, ghurni, appears to refer 
to an inner churning that mixes the two poles of the kramarnudra, 
at the source of emission and resorption. 
On the threefold void: lower void, prior to the attainment of the fourth state; 
medium void, samadhi or conscious yoganidra; and higher void, the sleep of the unrelated Siva. Such a sleep resembles somewhat the attitude of surprise (caikitamudra): the mouth half opens spontaneously and the breath stands still".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lifeforce said:

a vibration moving in all directions

WOuld you say the energy is condensing along the central channel or not? I'm confused with the words 'in all directions'. From the pictures of swirling dervishes I've seen the rotation is quite aligned with the central channel.

This internal maelstrom is so all-encompassing that I was not able to locate it's source, but I didn't have any thoughts of trying to. The bliss was indescribable. It is quite difficult to put into English language. The Sanskrit term ghurni, as I gave examples of above, is the only way I could think of explaining and understanding my experience.

5 hours ago, lifeforce said:

This is something I experienced whilst meditating with a local Sufi meditation group. I've only just come across these quotes, and of the term, ghurni.

I tried explaining my experience to a few people but couldn't find the appropriate words. This sums it up perfectly.

I think it stems from the Non-dual Shaiva Tantra tradition. The first quote is from a book I'm currently reading which I highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recognition-Sutras-Illuminating-000-year-old-masterpiece/dp/098976138X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533123935&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=the+recognition+sutras&dpPl=1&dpID=51NE3p09B9L&ref=plSrch

The Recognition Sutras by Christopher Wallis.

"Ghurni, which usually refers to a mystical experience that is considered a sign of very high attainment, one in which the adept feels a kind of divine intoxication, combined with pleasant sensations of floating, whirling, swaying or spinning (which are sometimes thought indicate that the subtle body is moving quasi-independently of the physical body)"

and:

"Ghurni, Vibrant Whirling 

Ghurni is an untranslatable term, for the state it refers to 
does not belong to ordinary experience: it consists of a specifically 
mystical whirling, a vibration moving in all directions so intense 
as to defy the imagination. When its intensity increases to 
infinity, it becomes one with the ever-active primordial vibration 
and is none other than the fully-unfolded Kundalini in brahmarandhra. 
Staggering under the effect of his inebriation, the yogin is 
lifted to universal Consciousness and recognizes his identity with 
the entire world. Transcending spatio-temporal limits, now all-
knowing and all-powerful, he experiences the final pervasion. 

On close examination, this whirling, ghurni, appears to refer 
to an inner churning that mixes the two poles of the kramarnudra, 
at the source of emission and resorption. 
On the threefold void: lower void, prior to the attainment of the fourth state; 
medium void, samadhi or conscious yoganidra; and higher void, the sleep of the unrelated Siva. Such a sleep resembles somewhat the attitude of surprise (caikitamudra): the mouth half opens spontaneously and the breath stands still".

Ghurni is a common term used for "Whirlwind" in North indian languages. Nice the you experienced it. I find that every type of movement is actually a spiraling movement. Hence the adage...follow the curve to find the straight line in Taiji classics. 

Edited by dwai

52 minutes ago, dwai said:

I find that every type of movement is actually a spiraling movement.

This is something I've realized through xingyi where the spiralling isn't obvious from the outside looking in.

• Like 1

I think i experienced it during spontaneous qigong, where i also do a lot of circle walking.the feeling of being intoxicated and so much energy that it feels like the body becomes very light and moves by its own followed by the feeling that the body is spirit.

• Like 1