falcon

What is the most straight forward path to enlightenment

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Guess it depends on how one defines the void.

Yes - and I am trying to meditate "unworldly" and "unwordly".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Limahong said:

Yes - and I am trying to meditate "unworldly" and "unwordly".

Those are still concepts of the mind. Maybe try just residing and let it all go... :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Those are still concepts of the mind.

Give me a break. I am just a new kid on the "cool" block.

Thanks a lot.

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Those are still concepts of the mind.

Where else do we become aware of concepts beside the mind?

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Guess it depends on how one defines the void. But, either way increasing clarity (or the absence of stuff - void like) is a good thing.

Hi Jeff,

In another thread - Derek Lin's TTC - dawei has raised this:

On 8/1/2018 at 8:36 AM, dawei said:

What do you make of Not-Two... and then Not-One ?

maybe just a reverse sequence... but of what ?

I have responded and he has yet to revert.

At the end of my response to dawei, I have included these:

th?id=OIP.KY2Z91c06oO7t0F31JsLXgHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.T3u35xC8XW3irPRxtJ2uMQHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Please comment on these two inclusions in relation to "cool" energy'

- LimA

27 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Where else do we become aware of concepts beside the mind?

Hi Dada-da,

If they are good concepts unto yourself, please kept them safe thus in your mind. Why?

"Your good concepts spoken are not the eternalness of [your good concepts]".

Guess it will be fine if good concepts are ignored - to each his/her own on roads less traveled.

My concern is the dogmatic defilement of good concepts.

A great weekend.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

Wow, what a delightful thread.  Breath of fresh air.

I’ve read only a few scattered posts, so pardon me if I repeat ground-already-covered.

In one of Cleary’s Taoist translations, there is reference to the “human mind” and the “mind of Dao”.  Seems to be (maybe?) in the ballpark, here.  My interpretation is “human mind” = basically, thinking, cogitating and all the complexities and waves (feelings, psychology, all that sh##) that get caught up in that.  Where as “mind of Dao” would be something like “wu qi” (in Daoism) or “luminous emptiness” (in Buddhism), “sky of mind”.  Somewhere in that territory.

Seems to me that “the quickest way” question has a couple of dubious premises:  

1. That a certain path (method/s, school, tradition) is the quickest.  There’s 10,000 paths, and much value in many of them - and often different paths are appropriate for different people.  It seems to me that good orientation to *whatever* path REALLY helps a LOT.  Often makes the difference of really making the most of a path vs getting really f###ed up by that same path.

Here’s my attempt at a brief simplified generic overview.  There’s nothing new in it, probably nothing you don’t already know, and *certainly* not of the detailed depth you’d find in any well developed authentic path.  ... but I think it offers some utilitarian overview.

https://johndaoproductions.wordpress.com/2018/05/04/three-generic-fundamentals/

2. Second dubious premise: That you *want* the quickest path, lol.  Yeah, there are times when you wanna hit the gas, and have a lightning bolt teacher who propels you ... but there are also times when you want to slow down, or prepare the ground, etc, not just speed.  A friend of mine used the phrase the “school of harmony” and it denotes, *whatever* path you’re on, to value harmony as a sign of deep and skillful integration, and that produces a foundation for growth.  Contrast that to finding the fastest car, then driving it as fast as you can as long as you can until the engine catches on fire, melts down, and you have to spend the next few decades in repair.                                                              

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Trunk said:

Contrast that to finding the fastest car, then driving it as fast as you can as long as you can until the engine catches on fire, melts down, and you have to spend the next few decades in repair.                                                              

Hi Trunk

... in repair and personal despair.

when yin and yang are not a pair.

Thank you ~ for your mind of Dao

It has not crossed my mind till now.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Like 1

Can't vouch for it, I assume it won't help everyone but for some who follow it closely and have the right amount of grace, it would work-

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

In another thread - Derek Lin's TTC - dawei has raised this:

I have responded and he has yet to revert.

What can I say when I am left speechless B)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, falcon said:

Hi Steve,

With obtaining Rigpa, the most paramount moment is the direct realization of ultimate emptiness. Which then the state should be meditated on as much as conceivably possible.

In regards to that initial shock, or astonishment of ultimate reality (innermost awareness). I was wondering what are yours or other thoughts on taking substances to supplement a Llama's role. Most specifically DMT. But also Ayachuaska? - If all one really needs is the first exposure to Rigpa, why not?

My feeling is that a lama and the ancient teachings need no supplement.

The Dzogchen method is precise and comprehensive.

Mind altering substances are generally an interference, especially in the early stages, as we are attempting to connect directly to the most pure and clear level of awareness possible. 

In more advanced Dzogchen practice, the ability to rest with stability in the nature of mind is brought  off the cushion and into every aspect of life. This is referred to as proper conduct. There comes a time when we bring this even to the most challenging situations, which could certainly include periods of intoxication, in order to deepen the practice and strengthen stability.

I have no personal experience with DMT or Ayahuasca but I do have some experience with other entheogens.

They can be very effective tools in helping the right person, under the right circumstances, to open but that is only a part of the process. They fragment and destabilize our illusion of reality. This gives us an opportunity to go deeper but does not necessarily guide us directly towards the clear and pure nature of mind, especially without expert guidance. Opening through entheogens is also far more shocking and potentially traumatic than opening through gradual meditation practice. The lama, on the other hand, also helps us to break down our illusion of reality but through a gradual and progressive process. Once that opening has occurred, they then help us to recognize with precision a much more profound realization of self. Entheogens are not capable of doing that, as far as I am aware but I am no expert on the subject.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, steve said:

I have no personal experience with DMT or Ayahuasca but I do have some experience with other entheogens.

Good morning steve,

I have no personal experience with DMT or Ayahuasca... or ... entheogens.

But to me this is a good experiential account - a good yardstick on what a good path can be.

I do have some experience with other entheogens.

"They can be very effective tools in helping the right person, under the right circumstances, to open but that is only a part of the process. They fragment and destabilize our illusion of reality. This gives us an opportunity to go deeper but does not necessarily guide us directly towards the clear and pure nature of mind, especially without expert guidance. Opening through entheogens is also far more shocking and potentially traumatic than opening through gradual meditation practice".

A great weekend.

- LimA

1 minute ago, Cheshire Cat said:

It's evident that Limahong is a software... and a good one! Cheers!

Yeah, he does know how to search and link, doesn't he?

14 hours ago, Limahong said:

While I usually balk at clips... those are just about right... :)

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

the spirit of Monkey

Hi Creighton,

I told you before that I am nicknamed the 'monkey' at home?

- Anand

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Creighton,

I told you before that I am nicknamed the 'monkey' at home?

- Anand

You may have, though I don't recall.

Your monkey nature was apparent to me immediately.  Animal spirits speak in a language I am quick to pick up on.

In fact, your monkey nature kept me from interacting with you at first for some time.  I assumed at first that you were intentionally poking people, trying to make them upset, making fun of them, or making light of the topics and seeking to disrupt and troll folks.   But I no longer believe everything I think which is a wonderful thing... so I held off believing that initial thought/judgement and I'm glad.  My assumptions of your intentions came from my own projections and now I see a playful, clever monkey who interacts quickly, lightly and with wit and word play and a fun, light heart.  Now I consider you an observant friend who in his manner of interacting, has a natural way of keeping things light and also of checking our usual notions of a topic or idea by bringing them up in a different perspective.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2018 at 2:37 AM, falcon said:

Quite a vague question to ask, but as most may agree, all paths lead towards the same realization. I was hoping to get sum Bum perspectives on what some of you may think (or believe) by your own knowledge and experience, to be the most straight forward path.

Would not agree that all paths lead to the same place.

Death is the most stright forward way.

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

~~~ Admin Notice ~~~

I removed many of Lima's posts, including one where he altered a quoted quote to appear that a member wrote something they did not write. 

Such fabrications may be funny at times but it was not well received.

Let's try to stay to topic.  Thanks.

Edited: Typos writing from a phone.  First line re-written for clarity.

• Like 2