Lightseeker

Advanced Magick and occult grimoires

Just a generic inquiry to all of you master occultists/magick practioners. Have you guys read any of these books?

1) Ars Notoria

2)The Book Of Abramelin The Mage

3)Grand Grimoire

4)The Picatrix

5)The Black Pullet

I realize I posted quite a few books, but from what I’ve read these are the most important.

I've read a couple, and am not a master.

From what I've heard, with grimores (or similar texts) there are deliberately laid traps. Later occultists took the books literally and developed fraudulent and corrupt schools based on false information. For instance, Aleister Crowley.

I like the contributions of Joseph Peterson, and Stephen Skinner; also, Aaron Leitch's "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires" for a broad overview. Not saying those authors point out the traps, I just think they have done some good work with historical analysis and translations.

I'm also personally far from knowledgeable in this subject.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

developed fraudulent and corrupt schools based on false information. For instance, Aleister Crowley.

What do you mean by this? I always thought that Aleister Crowley was a genuine mystic and occultist. In what way do you think he was corrupt?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Among the books in your list, the Picatrix is the most important, IMO. Its influence on Renaissance Magic can hardly be overestimated.

Have you read it, and followed its practices?

7 minutes ago, Lightseeker said:

Have you read it,

Not in its entirety.

7 minutes ago, Lightseeker said:

and followed its practices?

Not exactly. But I am very comfortable with the Hermetic philosophy it breathes.

Another very important book along those lines (strongly inspired by the Picatrix) is Agrippa's Occult Philosophy. It has a subforum of its own here in the esoteric section. A study group was started once. Alas, the endeavour didn't continue very long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lightseeker said:

What do you mean by this? I always thought that Aleister Crowley was a genuine mystic and occultist. In what way do you think he was corrupt?

One could list the ways!

31 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

"Be wise as serpents."

There's nothing wrong with having discernment...as opposed to judgment, which carries a penalty to the accused with it. Discernment in this case is actually meant to help others avoid incorrect and corrupt information, and no stone was cast.

How discernment is a good thing: "By their fruits you will know them".

Edited by Aetherous

5 hours ago, Aetherous said:

I've read a couple, and am not a master.

From what I've heard, with grimores (or similar texts) there are deliberately laid traps. Later occultists took the books literally and developed fraudulent and corrupt schools based on false information. For instance, Aleister Crowley.

Care to actually name those fraudulent and corrupt schools that Crowley created  ?   Or are you just going to  drop a gossipy random negative suggestion ? 

And do you know anything at all about Goetia ?

I like the contributions of Joseph Peterson, and Stephen Skinner; also, Aaron Leitch's "Secrets of the Magickal Grimoires" for a broad overview. Not saying those authors point out the traps, I just think they have done some good work with historical analysis and translations.

What traps ?

I'm also personally far from knowledgeable in this subject.

Ohhh ... okay then .       :D 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lightseeker said:

Just a generic inquiry to all of you master occultists/magick practioners. Have you guys read any of these books?

1) Ars Notoria

2)The Book Of Abramelin The Mage

3)Grand Grimoire

4)The Picatrix

5)The Black Pullet

I realize I posted quite a few books, but from what I’ve read these are the most important.

I tended to avoid most of those works ,  I did read no  2 a couple of times.

4 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Not in its entirety.

Not exactly. But I am very comfortable with the Hermetic philosophy it breathes.

Another very important book along those lines (strongly inspired by the Picatrix) is Agrippa's Occult Philosophy. It has a subforum of its own here in the esoteric section. A study group was started once. Alas, the endeavour didn't continue very long.

yes, I was going to mention that .

What do you think is the source of the Picatrix knowledge ?

3 hours ago, Aetherous said:

One could list the ways!

But you cant , it seems . 

2 hours ago, Aetherous said:

"Be wise as serpents."

There's nothing wrong with having discernment...as opposed to judgment, which carries a penalty to the accused with it. Discernment in this case is actually meant to help others avoid incorrect and corrupt information, and no stone was cast.

How discernment is a good thing: "By their fruits you will know them".

A few empty words that do not address the questions about your original claim ;

" developed fraudulent and corrupt schools based on false information. "  ...

I suggest you cough up or retract  it .

• Like 1

And, I would bet a large amount that you know nothing of the schools Crowley helped developed !

For others  that may be  curious about this ;     I have no doubt at all, from the reading I have done, that Crowley could be a complete arse and a boar and a repressed Victorian deviate and and and ....  it comes across in his writings and he admits it himself .

he got involved in scams and he was also a psycho-naught.  We could go on and list the negatives, and many of the time had them ; including certain racial and sexual views.

But the 'schools' are a different matter and  anyone that has examined their curriculum , or indeed, has practical experience  within them will,  or should be able to  see the clear distinction between this work and the things I mentioned above ,  these are not in the rituals or degrees . 

57 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Or are you just going to  drop a gossipy random negative suggestion ? 

I'm really just going to do that.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Aetherous said:

I'm really just going to do that.

To what end   ? 

Are you trying to surreptitiously put seekers off the path to fulfilment and illumination  ? 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16217-1367946814-10

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Are you trying to surreptitiously put seekers off the path to fulfilment and illumination  ? 

Of course not. My post was...

On 7/31/2018 at 3:43 PM, Aetherous said:

meant to help others avoid incorrect and corrupt information

Please drop this, which has little to do with this thread, and which I have zero interest in debating.

2 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Of course not. My post was...

You admitted you dont know . I think you are also confused.

2 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Please drop this, which has little to do with this thread, and which I have zero interest in debating.

Then you should not have bought it up in the first place .   What's up ?

Clucked , but cant lay the egg ?

On 8/1/2018 at 6:43 PM, Nungali said:

Then you should not have bought it up in the first place .   What's up ?

But I did.

Enjoy!

Edit: if a genuine person wanted to ask me more about this, they could do so in a private message. I told Nungali I had no interest in responding, especially in this thread which isn't on the subject, and I'm not the type to be manipulated into doing something I said I wouldn't. It's enough to say on the subject of Crowley, and any questions directed at me here regarding him: simply look at his Wikipedia page! That should be enough for anyone with any sort of legitimate training in the occult to see him for what he was. He was a complete fraud who has subsequently nearly ruined Western occultism entirely. Everything he touched is tainted, not just because he was a degenerate, but because he messed up the information. Too many people have been misled, and the misled simply get sore when others have a differing opinion than them. Deal with it...that's life!

Edited by Aetherous

Ok ... I  will just put you down then  as someone that talks crap , and just parrots uninformed opinion.

I mean, its your reputation here, you are free to destroy it, if you wish . ... whatever   < shrug> 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

Ok ... I  will just put you down then  as someone that talks crap , and just parrots uninformed opinion.

I mean, its your reputation here, you are free to destroy it, if you wish . ... whatever   < shrug> 

This is where a "Bless your Heart" icon would really come in handy... :)

• Haha 1