dwai

The Art of Listening

Yep, we listen to only the sounds we want to hear.  If we don't like what we hear we ignore it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

What?

Work on that a little longer and then, if needed, ask again.

5 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I'll set an alarm to wait 73 days and then respond to this again. ;)

Okay.  I'll respond to your "What?"

In the non-human world the animals listen to all the sounds around them.  for defense, for food, for to not be food, etc.

We humans have a way to isolate sounds from our mind, and especially words that do not fit into our beliefs.  I can offer someone a fact that proves that they have been mistaken about something but if they don't want to risk becoming confused they will simply ignore the words.  They have no reason to consider the truth.  They have their beliefs.

This is what listening is all about.  To listen to and consider what others are saying.  Then test the validity of what was said.  Most times, if it is counter to what we believe we simply ignore it as not being true without even testing it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

In the non-human world the animals listen to all the sounds around them.  for defense, for food, for to not be food, etc.

We humans have a way to isolate sounds from our mind, and especially words that do not fit into our beliefs.  I can offer someone a fact that proves that they have been mistaken about something but if they don't want to risk becoming confused they will simply ignore the words.  They have no reason to consider the truth.  They have their beliefs.

This is what listening is all about.  To listen to and consider what others are saying.  Then test the validity of what was said.  Most times, if it is counter to what we believe we simply ignore it as not being true without even testing it.

Good observation! Thank you for sharing.

As regards my "what?" - that was in jest. Be that as it may, I have an alert set for 4:15 PM on Thursday, Oct 11 to respond to this thread. "I'll be back!" ;)

• Like 1

What a great reminder!  Thank you for sharing this!

When I'm shouting inside, it's hard to connect to the life songs about me and my experience of life is diminished, disconnected, stifled even.

Whole body listening.  Spherical awareness.  Full spectrum listening... seems to be one of the first teachings in so many of the ancient traditions/lineages.  Quiet the self and hear what is natural.

Listening with one's whole being as opposed to simply processing sounds with the ears while judging with the mind is a paradigm shifting process that elicits a myriad of benefits.  Not just for increasing energy cultivation, but in all my relationships... particularly with the obvious ones such as work mates and family/friends, where so much of the english language when closely analyzed, is misdirectional.  The words often carry a direct meaning contrapuntal to the intended sharing.  Whole body listening cuts through the haze and misdirection of word objects to the underlying intent and conveys authentic communication.

Whole body listening conveys benefits in all relationships however... while riding a motorcycle at high speed it was a life preserver on more than one occasion.   Whole being listening while in a forest, or underwater in a lake nature is a paradigm shifting experience.  Spherical awareness while choosing a meal, while preparing and consuming it... reveals layers of previously unexperienced life, or it does in my case.

Full awareness listening... reflected across all the great old traditions/teachings... quiet the self, internally and externally and reveal the song of reality.

Abide in being here and now, simply... once the waters are settled, clarity and emptiness ring with the endless songs of life to which we are always connected, but not always aware of.

• Like 4

anyone who is or has been married (more so with kids) knows of major variations on this topic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now in my senior years, my hearing is very limited.  I did also have damage when in the Army.

Any more I need to be looking at a person's face when they are talking to me else I miss most of what they say.

But yes 3bob, wife and kids; if you don't listen you will pay for it later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoa boy... I've spent so many hours hearing just fine, while not listening to a thing but my imagination. 

All of my early school years and teachers come to mind. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2018 at 4:20 PM, Marblehead said:

On 7/30/2018 at 5:02 PM, Lost in Translation said:

Good observation! Thank you for sharing.

As regards my "what?" - that was in jest. Be that as it may, I have an alert set for 4:15 PM on Thursday, Oct 11 to respond to this thread. "I'll be back!" ;)

Only 47 more hours to go before I respond to this thread. :)

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 8:38 PM, Lost in Translation said:

What?

7 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

20 more hours and all will be revealed.

I don't need to see too much, Okay?

• Haha 1

On 7/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, Lost in Translation said:
On 7/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, Marblehead said:
On 7/30/2018 at 3:52 PM, Lost in Translation said:

What?

Work on that a little longer and then, if needed, ask again.

I'll set an alarm to wait 73 days and then respond to this again. ;)

On 7/30/2018 at 5:02 PM, Lost in Translation said:

I have an alert set for 4:15 PM on Thursday, Oct 11 to respond to this thread. "I'll be back!" ;)

OK, I'm a few hours early since I need to go to the airport this afternoon and won't be able to post at exactly 4:15 PM.

13 hours ago, neti neti said:
On 10/9/2018 at 5:38 PM, Lost in Translation said:

What?

Exactly.

13 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

20 more hours and all will be revealed.

Ta da!

Here's a good lesson for developing the "Art of Listening": Write stuff down!