Sign in to follow this  
Osky

Hello all - my quest for the source

Hi everyone, 

I am osky; 34 years   old. I  carry 21 years of martial arts over my back (happy 21  years) and I  plan and aim to do this  for a living (I am a guy with very little  needs,  for my quest in this life  cycle is  oriented in another direction rather than shallow results..). 

Student  of Daoism, big  fan of Awakening  to  Reality, The Little Book of Hercules, among other  titles.  So  far  been  training  for  a few years Daoyin and Seated Meditation; and always seeking to find a door  that  helps  me  complete  my quest (getting back  to the  source). I found dao bums when I was searching for more information  about Neidan. 

Anyone interested in  sharing and  preserving or documenting the advances made in the internal path; or who has the same quest   that I have  in this lifetime; happy to connect here  to grow :)

Thank you beautiful community  for being. 

Osky 

• Like 5

Hello, Osky, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Osky,

Sounds like you have an extensive training background. I’m sure you’ll fit right in here. Welcome 😊

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

• Like 2

Hi Osky.  Welcome.  I can talk with you about meditation.  I practice empty-minded meditation.  Really not much to it:  Sit down and shut up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Osky said:

Student  of Daoism, big  fan of Awakening  to  Reality, The Little Book of Hercules, among other  titles.  So  far  been  training  for  a few years Daoyin and Seated Meditation; and always seeking to find a door  that  helps  me  complete  my quest (getting back  to the  source). I found dao bums when I was searching for more information  about Neidan. 

Anyone interested in  sharing and  preserving or documenting the advances made in the internal path; or who has the same quest   that I have  in this lifetime; happy to connect here  to grow :)

I am also interested in learning more about internal work, I don't have many contributions to offer, but I am currently liking "the inner teachings of taoism" by chang po-tuan (you can just google the author and title and read it for free).  A lot of the internal alchemy texts I've come across refer to concepts such as cultivating "lead" or "mercury" inside ourselves,  and this book explains one way of interpreting them as metaphors.  The passages can be a bit dense to understand clearly though.

Hope you find what you are seeking.

17 hours ago, ChangingYang said:

A lot of the internal alchemy texts I've come across refer to concepts such as cultivating "lead" or "mercury" inside ourselves...

Hi ChangingYang,

I know "lead" and "mercury" have been used metaphorically but they are not for me.

I am a chemist by training and Pb and Hg are poisons.

pipecorrosion2.0.gif

th?id=OIP.MOMD9mxPx8zKvvPrP_qcnAHaEs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=260&h=166   mercsk.gif 

- LimA

• Like 1

Welcome. Internal power deals a lot with Breath work. So you can start doing some abdominal breathing.

12 hours ago, Limahong said:

I know "lead" and "mercury" have been used metaphorically but they are not for me.

I am a chemist by training and Pb and Hg are poisons.

You don't need to be a chemist to know that Pb and Hg are poisons and should not be ingested!  This isn't about Pb and Hg, and I certainly wouldn't advocate anyone to take them literally.  You say you realize they have been used metaphorically but then seem to miss the point of what a metaphor is, stating they are poisons.

A lot of these older texts were written purposely obscure to prevent people from trying to learn without a master's guidance.  Indeed many people misunderstood as you have, thinking they were to take literal poisons into themselves as a physical alchemical process to gain immortality.  This is absolutely a bad idea! This was not what the texts mean, and that is obvious if you read them.

That is why I have recommended this book, lead and mercury are explained as metaphors for different "energies" (shen/jing/qi) that are already inside of yourself, and not actual substances that you use or ingest.

For example the first couple of paragraphs from the book:

"TRUE EARTH ARRESTS TRUE LEAD;

TRUE LEAD CONTROLS TRUE MERCURY.

LEAD AND MERCURY RETURN TO TRUE EARTH;

BODY AND MIND ARE TRANQUIL AND STILL.

Earth dwells in the centre, as the mother of myriad beings. It is possible thereby to blend the elementary forces, produce and nurture myriad beings. Earth is that whereby origin and completion are effected. The true earth referred to here is not material earth; it is the true intent of the human body, which has no location. True intent is the director of myriad affairs; it controls the vital spirit, sustains essence and life, occupies and guards the centre of the being. Because it has functions similar to earth, it is called true earth. Insofar as it is truthful and whole, without fragmentation, it is also called true faith. Because it contains the impulse of life within it, it is also called the centre. [...] There are many different names, all describing one thing, this is true intent.

Lead is dense and heavy, hard and strong, lasts long without disintegrating; what is called true lead here is not ordinary lead, but is the formless, immaterial true sense of real knowledge in the human body. This true sense is outwardly dark but inwardly bright, strong and unbending, able to ward off external afflictions, able to stop internal aberrations. It is symbolised by lead and so is called the true lead. Because its strength and vigour are within, it is also called the black tiger; because its energy is associated with metal, it is also called the white tiger. Because it is not constrained by things, it is also called iron man. Because its light illumines myriad existents, it is also called the golden flower...."  

And of course it goes on. It may well not be for you, but there are some valuable gems I've found, maybe others might find value in it too.

4 hours ago, ChangingYang said:

You don't need to be a chemist to know that Pb and Hg are poisons and should not be ingested!

Lead and Mercury were/are used in certain traditional medicines.

EDIT:

I differentiate between a chemist and an alchemist.

I am not an alchemist.

Edited by Limahong
For clarity.

Just now, Limahong said:

Lead and Mercury were/are used in certain traditional medicines.

I suppose that is true. Perhaps you are right in pointing this out, it may not be so obvious to some.

Lead and mercury should not be taken literally in any daoist literature. 

But keep in mind you'll be dismissing wisdom if you reject teachings just because you don't like the metaphors they use.

6 hours ago, ChangingYang said:

I suppose that is true.

alice-hamilton-scientist-quote-every-article-i-wrote-in-those-days.jpg

EDIT

6 hours ago, ChangingYang said:

But keep in mind you'll be dismissing wisdom if you reject teachings just because you don't like the metaphors they use.

I have not rejected any teachings/metaphors.

I rejected lead and mercury as a chemist.

Edited by Limahong
clarification

Hi all and thanks  for the feedback. 

I am interested in seeking, finding and cultivating Neidan - or sharing experiences  on   internal cultivation  / spiritual path with serious people who  are into this wonderful quest. 

Marblehead - thanks so much; your contribution has set a before and an after in my quest. 

• Like 1

On 28/7/2018 at 1:02 PM, Fa Xin said:

Hello, Osky, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Osky,

Sounds like you have an extensive training background. I’m sure you’ll fit right in here. Welcome 😊

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Thank you for your welcome and congratulations for the  community you have built. 

• Like 1

On 28/7/2018 at 2:43 PM, Jonesboy said:

Welcome and I enjoyed that book as well.

Thank you Jonesboy.  I have also read "The Monastery of Jade Mountain" by Peter Goullart, ever had a chance? 

Also Foundations of Internal Alchemy.. based partially on  Awakening to reality.

Best regards.

On 29/7/2018 at 3:44 PM, SirYuri said:

Welcome. Internal power deals a lot with Breath work. So you can start doing some abdominal breathing.

Thanks SirYuri. 

Yes I actually cultivate Dao Yin, Seated Meditation and I have gone through the (seated) 8 pieces of brocade. 

What called my attention of this community it was an article about Neidan vs Qigong

Osky

On 7/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, Osky said:

Thank you beautiful community  for being.

Hi Osky,

An apology on the impasse.

- LimA

18 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Osky,

An apology on the impasse.

- LimA

HI Limahong,  happy to be here

On 7/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, Osky said:

I am a guy with very little  needs,  for my quest in this life  cycle is  oriented in another direction rather than shallow results..

Hi Osky.

You appear to be a neat bundle.

You started your intended life cycle since age 13.

Is there a calling?

Welcome to TDB.

LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

On 1/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, Limahong said:

Hi Osky.

You appear to be a neat bundle.

You started your intended life cycle since age 13.

Is there a calling?

Welcome to TDB.

LimA

Thanks Limahong -  my life has been like this . With its ups  and downs but to put   it this  way;  any "earthly" thing makes me open the eyes wider, realize and let go.  

So it has been a path of teachings; lots of learning and I'd  say realization. 

However  I am still searching for that  "final" break  - for  which I am guessing I need to get  rid  of the rest of mundane stuff and just dedicate to cultivation.. I actually have a couple funny stories to share (about stuff that happens while you are meditating.. ) 

If you have some to share; more than welcome to  hear too.. 

Nice to meet and  thanks for the welcome :)

O

1 hour ago, Osky said:

I am still searching for that  "final" break  - for  which I am guessing I need to get  rid  of the rest of mundane stuff and just dedicate to cultivation.

Related image

Edited by Limahong

7 hours ago, Osky said:

With its ups  and downs but to put   it this  way;  any "earthly" thing makes me open the eyes wider, realize and let go.  

Hello all - my quest for the source - Osky.

th?id=OIP.Chqr84oFTl5FmSw2v-rpGAHaJQ&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.txAdyNJMwvcQ2JwSttQ5UwHaJ3&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this