Goldleaf

why is the still unanswered questions in advanced age?

Like, why do politicians get away with so much, when there are so many of us who can do something now (and we are educated)?

How is it that we still can't explain how some aspects of nature work, (maybe because we don't include chi?)  Such as how do birds follow the leader so quickly to stay in perfect formation?

Finally, why is it that I still haven't had a nice sleep, despite different beds?  I wake up feeling like my back is shredded.  I am tired all the time and in spite of being the most aware and capable person I have ever been, am slowly losing the will to go on.

1. Because power can be corruptive. 

2.  We're working on it, understanding on all levels is a work in progress.

3. Work on the basics, diet, exercise, getting to bed on time.  Try not taking naps.  Look up some good meditative guided hypnotic routines on youtube and make them into mp3's to listen to.  Like Sleeping pill or Evening Inventory or ZZzzz.  Take a lukewarm shower before bed.  Cool yourself off.  Here's a weird one. Try a thorny mat, like the Snook and its imitators.  For some reason resting on 1,000's of short spikes brings on a relaxation response. 

Course as a fellow insomniac, nothing works for long or consistently, so the ultimately, after hating, denial and bargaining one eventually accepts wakefulness. 

When singing the blues, try something new.  Here's a link to some interesting guided meditations.  Many on Happiness, learning to quiet the mind, some are trippy.. some are deep.  Maybe one or two will connect with you.  Here's a link

and

You know, when life gives you lemons, take out the seeds and plant them.  Tend to it,  Lemon trees are cool.. much of life is, especially when you're creating stuff, like lemon trees. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Goldleaf said:

I still haven't had a nice sleep, despite different beds? 

Go to bed early. I mean really early. Plop your bod in bed at 9:00 PM. Stay in bed until 6:00 AM, or whenever you are supposed to get up. Don't worry if it's boring. Do it anyway. And no television in bed. If you really can't sleep then drink one ounce (no more, no less) of 40% whiskey and 12 ounces of water before going to bed at 9:00 PM sharp!

Edited by Lost in Translation
  • Like 1

I struggled with the issue of sleep much of my life. Some of the most pleasant and refreshing and memorable times were awakening with the morning sun shining through the window and the sound of birds.

But the modern world does not allow for this very often. We have to arise at an early hour (4:30am was typical for me) so we can be on the job, being productive. To manage this, I developed the habits Lost in Translation cited. Bedtime was around 9pm, after a quick shower to wash off the dust of the day. Laying down in bed, I would dim the lights, turn on some soft instrumental music and pick up my reading material and read for 30-60 minutes before turning out the lights and going to sleep. This worked well enough, but often, work would intrude on my routine and many times my rest would be limited to 4 hours or so. I would tell myself, "Sleep is overrated."

Now that I am retired I have allowed myself to align more closely with the cycle of nature. The evening routine is still pretty much the same but now I arise with the dawn quite naturally. Do my morning cleansing and medition. Fix a cup of coffee and find out what is going on in the world. 

Guess the point here is not to underrate the value of aligning with nature.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goldleaf said:

Human beings have not solved any real problems.
They don't want to because they don't really ... understand caring.
It seems that not many human beings are able to actually care, the ordinary caring is part of a tribal game.
How else can you explain, war famine childhood cruelty for so many hundreds of thousands of years.
Does that sound like anyone is fixing anything ?
Even today, in the biggest most intelligent countries so many disgusting terrible horrifying things are happening.
Nobody is actually trying to fix it.
Humans are like a mirage, actually they are not awake.
They are busy, but in fact deeply deeply asleep and don't realise it.
Just a few notice there is a problem, a big problem.
It's quite a strange situation.

I am not blaming anyone, but I am telling the truth.

Humans are asleep and don't realise it.
They keep crashing the car, bus somehow they find another way to go back to sleep.
They don't comprehend the danger or damage.

With regards your losing the will to go on .... does that sound like you are actually aware and capable ?
Or are you in fact asleep at the wheel.
Perhaps you do many busy things.
But can you .... understand what it is to be yourself ?
Can you value that ?
Well, it's an opportunity to .... put everything in order whilst you are still young enough.

Edited by rideforever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Goldleaf said:

Finally, why is it that I still haven't had a nice sleep, despite different beds?  I wake up feeling like my back is shredded.  I am tired all the time and in spite of being the most aware and capable person I have ever been, am slowly losing the will to go on.

Insomnia can do that.  But what's the root of your back issues - desk jobs are a killer for the back, and its important to stretch and chugung properly to fight the back's problems away.

Once you have a back problem, you'll always have a back problem, you'll always need to take care of it.  Everyday maintenance is a good idea.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Goldleaf said:

why is the still unanswered questions in advanced age?

Because human lives are much too short these days. You would at least need a couple of centuries to figure out how things really work.

Like, why do politicians get away with so much, when there are so many of us who can do something now (and we are educated)?

Cause we like to leave responsibilities to other people.

How is it that we still can't explain how some aspects of nature work, (maybe because we don't include chi?)  Such as how do birds follow the leader so quickly to stay in perfect formation?

You have already partially answered that question yourself: We neglect subtle and spiritual aspects and still treat the universe like a machine built of so many tiny wheels. (One-hundred years of quantum physics hasn't really changed that.)

I would try homeopathy if I were you.

• Like 1

So many wonderful replies.  Thanks to each of you.

I can't remember who suggested it (I think a couple of you), but whoever suggested going to bed at 9pm, it worked for me last night, thanks so much.  Finger crossed.  I actually slept from 9pm to7.30pm.  Maybe I need more sleep at the moment than most others.  And i'm ok with that (too much drugs and overindulgence in solo sexual practices when younger).

It seems that not many human beings are able to actually care, the ordinary caring is part of a tribal game.
How else can you explain, war famine childhood cruelty for so many hundreds of thousands of years.
Does that sound like anyone is fixing anything ?

Rideforever, you're preaching to the choir with your enlightening post, but I have to subtly disagree with you with the above statement.  I think caring IS innate, its just that we have chosen to let things like greed and lust override it.  When I read the above about war famine childhood cruetly I instantly thought - greed.  Taking it even deeper, I think it comes from us currently not being happy or peaceful as a human race. There have been civilisations that existed where the majority of people were in peace, and they flourished, and many advancements occured.  We need this now more than ever, but ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1