Was wondering if we could have a discussion about the difference in how to cultivate Yin vs Yang energy in the context of the idea that I recently read that the difference between chi Kung and nei kung is that while chi Kung only cultivates Yang energy, nei kung cultivates both Yin and Yang energy. 

Now the caveat is can it be in simple and plain language using few if any Chinese terms and no Chinese characters. Because Tao is not contained by any culture or language and is best understood using metaphors and contexts our minds best grasp (at least mine coming from a Wesrern mileau).

And no Mo Pai. No Taoist Yoga quotes (which I’ve learned is indeed incomplete and NOT a step by step method but a guide on helping u understand milestones on the path). And sorry Drew but no harmonic quantum third eye ionic orgasm talk or lengthy random citing dense barely applicable scientific studies, just lets speak like Chuang Tzu about it. Simple, direct, basic language to be understood by a neophyte like me. Can someone of knowledge provide a breakdown? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, yugenphoenix said:

Was wondering if we could have a discussion about the difference in how to cultivate Yin vs Yang energy in the context of the idea that I recently read that the difference between chi Kung and nei kung is that while chi Kung only cultivates Yang energy, nei kung cultivates both Yin and Yang energy. 

Now the caveat is can it be in simple and plain language using few if any Chinese terms and no Chinese characters. Because Tao is not contained by any culture or language and is best understood using metaphors and contexts our minds best grasp (at least mine coming from a Wesrern mileau).

And no Mo Pai. No Taoist Yoga quotes (which I’ve learned is indeed incomplete and NOT a step by step method but a guide on helping u understand milestones on the path). And sorry Drew but no harmonic quantum third eye ionic orgasm talk or lengthy random citing dense barely applicable scientific studies, just lets speak like Chuang Tzu about it. Simple, direct, basic language to be understood by a neophyte like me. Can someone of knowledge provide a breakdown? 

Yan Xin will provide a great "breakdown" for you. Read this book

https://www.scribd.com/doc/101462079/Yan-Xin-Secrets-Benefits-of-Internal-Qigong-Cultivation

So you want a discussion of the "difference between" (said translated terms that stand for different things based on their contexts).

That's called a discussion of "the different fingers that point at the Moon."

Yan Xin did his healing all over China while giving lectures that often people could not understand.

You jiggy?

The WORDS are not the answer (i.e. semantic terms as definitions). The concepts as meaning are the guide to the meditation practice.

So to approach things backwards by saying - "this word" and "this word" mean different things - what exactly do they "mean" - is to fixate on just the words and not the actual meaning involved.

Don't let the semantics hold you back.

https://universalflowuniversity.com/Books/Spiritual Philosophy/Taoism/Yan Xin - Secrets & Benefits of Internal Qigong Cultivation(Images).pdf

That is the pdf link for the same book - as the above scribd link. Both will get you the FULL text.

Now - what was the "concept" you want to discuss?

Just word search the pdf link.

While observing the world, we should use our mind, consciousness, and qigong abilities, such as the so-called"telepathic function," to listen to and hear deeply and clearly the endless, ever-changing, mysteriously wonderful notes of all beings. While observing the world with our eyes, we hear the sound of the heart of the world. This is a qigong method,principle, technique and effect. We deviate from true Guanyin Qigong if we fail to make efforts to cultivate virtue. We miss the point if we simply focus on blind worship, hand posture and mantras - paying attention only to visible and superficial external effects while ignoring the true essence of these qigong methods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2018 at 5:31 AM, yugenphoenix said:

Thanks Drew, I’ll check out the links. Much appreciated. 

Based on that above link - I spent the day studying Pregadio's translation of Awakening to Reality - I blogged on it.

http://elixirfield.blogspot.com/2018/07/pregadios-awakening-to-reality.html

So the secret of undivided yin-yang as Yuan Qi is a "double inversion." This is what I suspected before but Awakening to Reality corroborates this. In other words what had to go down, and then up, has to go back down again (as True Lead, extracted from True Mercury).... (and vice versa).

Yin Zi vs Yang Zi are like two states of being... At least in Light energy, Yin is an expansive energy that receives within an energy loop.  Yang is a transmitting energy that sends within an energy loop.

IMO, the ultimate way to cultivate either/both is with another person so as to create an energy loop... but deity cultivation is a different energy scheme.   You have to understand what you are cultivating and what it means and why you are doing it. 

On 7/23/2018 at 10:10 AM, yugenphoenix said:

Simple, direct, basic language to be understood by a neophyte like me. Can someone of knowledge provide a breakdown?

Hi yugenphoenix,

You may be a newbie to TDB but your writing impresses me with its experiential slant.

To me the best person to provide a breakdown on what you are seeking as knowledge is you yourself. 

Why? No one knows it better than you yourself on:

(a) Your perception on the nature of reality.

(b) What you accept as valid knowledge.

(c) Your intended path as an inquirer.

The best source of personal knowledge is experience.

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

On 7/22/2018 at 10:10 PM, yugenphoenix said:

It is said that yin energy comes from the earth and can flow easily through metal. It is said electrical insulators block its flow. It is said yin is a passive field type energy, that can absorb yang energy but never initiate motion. It is said that our minds themselves are pure yang energy, and as such we are unable to directly perceive yin energy. The analogy I was given was trying to see the darkness by shining a flashlight on it. It is said that you can only absorb yin chi while grounded during meditation, and only an equal amount to the yang chi you gather.

It is said that yang energy comes from the upper atmosphere and is an active electrical type energy. It is said yang can flow easily through metal.  It is said to responsible for our consciousness itself, and all locomotion of our physical bodies. It is said that yang energy cannot leave the confines of the physical body without direct contact or a metal conduit to travel through.  

It is said that both yin and yang are not complementary, but rather polar opposites which never normally combine.  It is said when combined that yin can act as a carrier force for yang energy allowing the yang energy to leave the confines of the body and physically interact with the environment.  It is said that that at death the yang energy dissipates leaving only a pure yin spirit which is completely passive, having memory only,  lacking any individual will or emotion and nothing more.

• Like 2

How to cultivate yin and yang qi. Firstly it really depends on the system you’re following. It’s important to follow a system as there’s a step by step, linear progression that is very important to follow. You wouldn’t be building the central heating of a house before you even have the foundation and walls in place.

None of these things exist in isolation. One thing leads to another. ‘Yeah but I want to feel yin qi’ - it just doesn’t work that way. These arts aren’t for creating experiences but are there as a path to follow to create specific transformations in yourself. Using the slightly awkward house building analogy, the phrase would be like ‘yeah but I want to experience the plumbing (without building the house)’ - it just doesn’t make sense this way.

Saying all that, both neigong and qigong can help build both - it depends on the approach and quality of mind.

Yang qi normally comes first. It will either be activated in you by your teacher or indirectly activated through your dan tien (through the guidance provided by your teacher). It’s very difficult to directly feel qi, but you can certainly feel it’s effects on your body and nervous system - it's very physical and not ‘subtle’. Yang qi feels like rippling electric movements through your body. The body will react in fast movements - whether strong twitches or fast moving sensations in your tissues and through your nervous tissues. It’s strong, physical and not subtle at all.

Yin qi is normally cultivated at a later stage. Often by connecting to the earth or trees. Yin qi is magnetic in quality. It’s effect on the body is felt as slow undulating movements whether physical or as sensations through you. It can only really work if you’re in the right state of mind (relaxed, stable, diffuse awareness). When the yin field starts changing your body over time, it will attract more and more yang qi.

There’s a double-edged sword in describing sensations. You shouldn’t focus on them or look for them. They will come, but if you focus on them and treat them as important you won’t progress any further. It’s best to acknowledge them but not look for them.

Hope that helps.

• Like 4

sensate activity equates to resistance as ohm's law applies to cultivation.  streamline the resistance coefficient.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:10 PM, yugenphoenix said:

Freeform above has given a pretty good overview. Yang Qi is the energy of focused intent. As Dawei described it is like a transmission (or outgoing flow) of the mind. One does not really feel it, but more feels the resistance of it “hitting” other energy structures stored in body. The more obstructed (issues and fears), the greater the body reactions to the energy. What people call kundalini with big motions and shakes is yang energy starting to break down big subconscious issues. Yin energy is really more like “reception” to the transmission/yang side. On a relative basis it is sort of like “pulling” in the energy. While they are not really two different forms of energy, it can feel that way in the early stages, as it is really more two different polarity views of the same underlying energy flow.

Also, yin aspects are easier to notice when interacting with others as the local mind tends to notice its own thoughts and hence own transmissions. So to really feel yin one tends to need to have reached the level where they can energetically connect to other people and the environment, as with noticing the outside stuff coming in, you can notice the reception side more easily. This is why traditions often describe it as a “higher” or more advanced energy form.

A strong “yin energy” person can create a strong “pulling” on a beginner which sort of makes it easier for them to feel and notice their own outgoing transmission/yang. Energetically men tend to be more yang and women more yin (but this is not always the case). Finding a balanced partner can dramatically accelerate ones growth as a purification loop can be established with the two end polarities. This dynamic is why traditions like Buddhism (and others) show advanced stuff as Buddha and consort (or dakini).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dawei said:

IMO, the ultimate way to cultivate either/both is with another person so as to create an energy loop...

Hi dawei,

Must my partner and I match each other energy-wise?

'Yang energy' with 'Yang energy'. 

'Yin and Yang energy' with 'Yin and Yang energy'. 

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Finding a balanced partner can dramatically accelerate ones growth as a purification loop can be established with the two end polarities. This dynamic is why traditions like Buddhism (and others) show advanced stuff as Buddha and consort (or dakini).

Hi Jeff,

What is a balanced partner?

Buddha and consort is indicated. How about Buddha and consorts?

- LimA

53 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Jeff,

What is a balanced partner?

Buddha and consort is indicated. How about Buddha and consorts?

- LimA

A balanced partner is someone who is capable matching yang to yin or yin to yang.  Pushing and pulling together creates a more stable flow. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

A balanced partner is someone who is capable matching yang to yin or yin to yang.

Beautiful.

18 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Pushing and pulling together creates a more stable flow. 

Like flying a plane?

Yin and yang in motion?

200.gif

yin_yang_unite_md_wm.gif

UnhappyCreepyCaracal-max-1mb.gif

yin_yang.gif

14 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi yugenphoenix,

You may be a newbie to TDB but your writing impresses me with its experiential slant.

To me the best person to provide a breakdown on what you are seeking as knowledge is you yourself. 

Why? No one knows it better than you yourself on:

(a) Your perception on the nature of reality.

(b) What you accept as valid knowledge.

(c) Your intended path as an inquirer.

The best source of personal knowledge is experience.

- LimA

Thank you for your compliment, means a lot :).  And your answer is perfect and what I've been coming to realize these last few months.  That having guidance and teaching is great and helpful, but the path that I need to walk is mine alone. I need to read and think less and practice more, with no goal in mind. No striving.  Just being.

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi dawei,

Must my partner and I match each other energy-wise?

'Yang energy' with 'Yang energy'. 

'Yin and Yang energy' with 'Yin and Yang energy'. 

I think Jeff's answer would mirror mine.  

I would just add that a man who is more yin and a woman who is more yang can find balance... that even two who are both pro-dominantly yin or yang could find balance if their hearts are open enough to establish one to flow more yin and one to flow more yang as part of their connection.  For some this may come naturally and for others they may feel a need to make it akin to needing a practice. 

The key is to openly not pre-determine whether you are transmitting/yang or receiving/yin but let the energy loop decide how to connect and balance each other.   For example, I can be yang with one connection and yin with another.  

5 hours ago, yugenphoenix said:

(1) No striving. 

(2) Just being.

Hi yugenphoenix,

(1) Yes.

(2) Yes.

You will definitely succeed. Why?

You - A powerful warrior on the path of knowledge.

- LimA

8 hours ago, yugenphoenix said:

Thank you all for the great information and guidance, much appreciated!

http://neidanromania.proboards.com/thread/236

1615 alchemy text:

Tiger-Metal produces water

and.

In counter-current style he not only retained and conserved secretions usually lost from the body, but obliged the Yang within the Yin of saliva-lead to go downwards, and raised up the Yin within the Yang of semen-mercury. p. 59

Needham.

Gold Juice aka Metallous Fluid refers to saliva.

When Kan (the Jade Pond)  is placed above, True Yang (Silver within Water) can be "sent down."

Pregadio, Awakening to Reality, p. 33

However, just like dew comes down from heaven and partakes of the nature of water, so does Sweet Dew refer to the True Yang component of the Elixir, namely the True Lead generated from water.

Pregadio, p. 40

When True Yang is moved to the upper cinnabar field, its emblem is the white color of the moon.

Pregadio, p. 47

As soon as True Yang is recognized and collected it should be moved "above" and be "sent down" to join one's True Yin.

Pregadio, p. 61

Metal returns to Water and Wood returns to Fire, and then True Yin and True Yang join one another.

Pregadio, p. 65

True Lead (Yang within Yin) is the "proper ancestor" because it is the basis for making the Internal Elixir.

Pregadio, p. 68

True Yang should be liberated from the place it occupies in the postcelestial world, and be brought back into Li [fire] to restore Qian [Heaven].

Pregadio, p. 71

As its nature is firm, it is called True Lead; as its breath is strong, it is called Male Tiger. Both True Lead and Male Tiger  are a single overflowing breath.

Pregadio, p. 81

In other words there is no difference between the Elixir and the precelestial True Unity.

ibid.

Edited by voidisyinyang
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dawei said:

Hi dawei,

I am putting Jeff's answer here on the same page as yours here for easier  reading:

Freeform above has given a pretty good overview. Yang Qi is the energy of focused intent. As Dawei described it is like a transmission (or outgoing flow) of the mind. One does not really feel it, but more feels the resistance of it “hitting” other energy structures stored in body. The more obstructed (issues and fears), the greater the body reactions to the energy. What people call kundalini with big motions and shakes is yang energy starting to break down big subconscious issues. Yin energy is really more like “reception” to the transmission/yang side. On a relative basis it is sort of like “pulling” in the energy. While they are not really two different forms of energy, it can feel that way in the early stages, as it is really more two different polarity views of the same underlying energy flow.

Also, yin aspects are easier to notice when interacting with others as the local mind tends to notice its own thoughts and hence own transmissions. So to really feel yin one tends to need to have reached the level where they can energetically connect to other people and the environment, as with noticing the outside stuff coming in, you can notice the reception side more easily. This is why traditions often describe it as a “higher” or more advanced energy form.

A strong “yin energy” person can create a strong “pulling” on a beginner which sort of makes it easier for them to feel and notice their own outgoing transmission/yang. Energetically men tend to be more yang and women more yin (but this is not always the case). Finding a balanced partner can dramatically accelerate ones growth as a purification loop can be established with the two end polarities. This dynamic is why traditions like Buddhism (and others) show advanced stuff as Buddha and consort (or dakini).

A balanced partner is someone who is capable matching yang to yin or yin to yang.  Pushing and pulling together creates a more stable flow.

I would just add that a man who is more yin and a woman who is more yang can find balance... that even two who are both pro-dominantly yin or yang could find balance if their hearts are open enough to establish one to flow more yin and one to flow more yang as part of their connection.  For some this may come naturally and for others they may feel a need to make it akin to needing a practice. 

The key is to openly not pre-determine whether you are transmitting/yang or receiving/yin but let the energy loop decide how to connect and balance each other.   For example, I can be yang with one connection and yin with another.  

I will respond to the above consolidation at another time - in relation to how a trusted TDB Bummy shared his energy with me recently.

- LimA

14 hours ago, yugenphoenix said:

That having guidance and teaching is great and helpful, but the path that I need to walk is mine alone.

Hi yugenphoenix,

You are truly blessed if you have teachers that can provide you guidance and teaching per who you are when you come under their tutelage.

I have been told many times that when I am ready my teachers will appear. Life has been injected into this adage when I crossed paths with two teachers recently at TDB.

These two teachers do not talk much re my own road less traveled.

Take heart - your teacher(s) will appear if you remain true to yourself and of service to others

I believe you will.

- LimA

• Like 1

We need to chase the stinky Chi out to get Zhen Chi (post heaven/yin chi) in balance.  Stinky Chi is deep in the body: in the tendons and ligaments, in the joints, in the muscles, in the way you think.  If the mind is not happy and healthy then Zhen Chi is not balanced.

What Tai Chi truly does is to try to wipe out the Zhen Chi altogether.  It tries to squeeze out the Zhen Chi, chasing out all of the post-heaven Chi  As long as you still have post heaven Chi you still have life.  Once you chase it all out, then you are immortal.  If you are still in human form you are an Immortal Among the People,