rideforever

LHBF somewhat deceased thread

18 hours ago, GreytoWhite said:

I would consider Daito-ryu to be a direct strategy internal martial art. Many of the teachers don't have it or only pieces. It's an attempt to channel baguazhang from Fudo Myo-o. So many parallels between the aiki arts and the internals.

What really matters is that Daito-ryu incorporates elements of Aikijutsu techniques which are the forerunner of modern Aikido. In my humble opinion it is one of the most complete martial arts available in Japan and has been tested in war. It was mentioned deliberately by name as a possible external art with internal subtleties. :)

One can argue about ninjutsu also but i consider it a rather controversial subject. There are also parallels there with chinese internal arts which i assume that Takamatsu incorporated after his travels in China and his interaction with Taoist monks there. If there is a good teacher available who has the knowledge of the internal subtleties and actual experience with Kuji-in then he could be a good option. Kuji in are derived from Mikkyo buddhists of Japan and they are not ninja specific despite what mainstream media has shown over the years.

Actually locating a good teacher in the above arts? Well... it could prove quite the feat! :D

Edited by Zork

On 7/12/2019 at 5:30 PM, rideforever said:

@Zork

Perhaps Zork you could say what the energetic theory is within Yiquan, I don't really understand it.   For instance in Chen Taichi the idea is that the qi flows out from the Tantien and back, so the emobidment and awakening of the belly part of that tradition, and in my opinion links nicely to the spiritual side of things.

In Yiquan I don't really understand where they consider the energy to come from or flow to, or their view on the Tantien, or spirituality.

I have seem some people saying that Yiquan does not teach focussing on Tantien during Shili for instance.

Perhaps you have useful information ?

I have neither the knowledge nor the authority to answer your question. Sorry. :mellow:

Besides the fact that you're demonstrating a lot of guesswork as to the mechanics or meaning of Yi Quan and Liuhebafa, you are most likely best able to get answers you're looking for with an actual live teacher of respectable lineage and qualifications. Perhaps you are adverse to teachers and wish to self-learn, perhaps you don't want to pay, perhaps the mirror that good teachers show scares you. 

Also, regarding LDT and Taijiquan and "spirituality with Yi Quan" as you say--the former is nothing I've ever heard of in my years of training under respectable teachers and the latter is highly speculative. With the latter, as I've found, internal arts and spiritual growth can't be measured by the system itself, but by the individual and how they affect the body and mind harmony--something that is easier to see again with someone guiding you. Otherwise, it's analogous to running in circles in the desert and thinking you've crossed the desert. 

Terry Dunn and JR Rodriguez are both authorities on Liuhebafa, and Rodriguez is an authority on Yi Quan. The advancement of one's martial skill and overall Being are immeasurable under individuals as highly qualified and recommended as they are. I can not publicly speak for any of the other teachers mentioned on this thread, but I can also say that some of whom are those I would steer far away from, emphatically.

• Thanks 1

You’re welcome to your opinions and repeating them like a mantra, but it doesn’t change any facts about it nor will it be shown in your skill, internal power, or understanding, all of which can’t be gleaned because not everything is spelled out in a DVD (nor should it be because giving all that power it’s like giving teenagers keys to your car and a bottle of whiskey and a credit card).

You can keep doing as you are, but it frankly just isn’t the practice of Yi Quan or Liuhebafa, even if you learned from Terry’s DVD because it’s a demonstration and like many teachers, they only show the deeper aspects with direct training because they won’t give everything in a book or DVD. It is analogous to the Tai Chi taught to the Manchus in the Qing Dynasty: the external form but no internal workings, where health can be derived, but no access to power would ever be able to found unless one were a genius.

We also wouldn’t give any of these secrets away freely, and most of what’s been said here on this forum about Liuhebafa and Yi Quan simply hasn’t held up when tested, martially especially.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Why don't email Rodriguez or TD and see if they know anything, that would be useful.

They are my teachers and I have a close relationship with them already. Perhaps you should email them yourself. 

32 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Do you have his email address?

Okay, that's great they are your close teachers.

So, what is the answer then.  What is the spirituality of Yiquan or LHBF, how does it function.

You have my opinion detailed about with explanations reasoning and so on.

You want to assert the superiority of your way of doing things, okay, sounds good.

So then what is explanation on the matter, or the explanation from your tradition ?

I have already explained and given three messages on the matter here, my personal limit now for any discussion moving forward. I won’t explain more unless you’re a student who is paying me because this information is not free and I gain nothing proving something to you when you have no qualifications, authority, or skill to critique compared with the pedigree that comes from our lineage that allows me to be confident in what I know.

I will only answer people further on this matter in PMs if they approach with humility and if they intend to be paying students, so you’ll have to contact them instead.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Where is your explanation ?

After all the huffing and puffing, where is your explanation of the spirituality of yiquan or lhbf ?

Nothing, eh.

Well Earl Grey, if you ever develop an opinion or explanation on the matter feel free to share it.

I have an opinion, but it is an informed opinion not one of speculation like yours. My opinions on this matter are therefore not free.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rideforever said:

Yes your non-opinion is very valuable best sit on it, keep it warm.

If you don't want to share, why are you on this thread then ?

There are some very beautiful books on yiquan, lhbf, chen and many traditions with people sharing and trying to learn and communicate and explore, it's great.

Plenty of misinformation and people assuming they know things from a YouTube video or a book find threads like this from web searches. It is akin to someone who learned a specialized skill like surgery from a YouTube video rather than a trained professional, which is what any student or teacher in IMA worth his salt can attest to. You and anyone are all welcome to approach me privately or my teachers, but it seems you’re set on what you know, so good on you.

Ta-ta.

Edited by Earl Grey

rideforever - you can sit here and pontificate, poke people who actually study the arts, or humble yourself and reach out to the people who might know and go learn from them. I recommend the last part because very few teachers will give the information you are looking for away on DVDs or online courses. The best Yiquan instructional set I've found so far is from Gerald Sharp. He includes mudras, tones, and postures for each of the 5 Elements related to Xingyiquan as they consider Yiquan to be a subset of practices within their art.  What spiritual benefit you get from this will entirely depend on whether 1: you have received transmission (yes energetic transmission like reiki) for your lineage and 2: how much you actually practice.

I've trained a bit of Han family Yiquan and the spiritual stuff isn't really discussed except as a possible side benefit. Until you get to a certain level (creating a vertical rolling wheel of energy in front of you) it's not of any use to discuss anything with you as you will only be confused further. I've gotten the transmission from one of Chris Matsuo's students. Before and after were like night and day in practice. After transmission my qi sensations and visualizations became much more intense.

Edited by GreytoWhite
Premature ejaculation
  • Like 3