rene

Call to Vikings!

2 hours ago, Stosh said:

If the Viking guy says I am weak , and I change my behavior to suit his vanity , then I AM weak and trying to suit his vanity.

I look at that pic as kind of a joke, making fun of all the snowflakes who are trained to be so easily offended by reality.  No need to worry, no one will really change anyway ... except maybe superficially ... for a little while

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I look at that pic as kind of a joke, making fun of all the snowflakes who are trained to be so easily offended by reality.  No need to worry, no one will really change anyway ... except maybe superficially ... for a little while

Now THAT is the unadulterated truth

:) 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rene said:

Why wouldn't you, in your words, "be attentive to society", heed his words and change your behavior?

I might , I think it does pay to fit in , that's why people try to do it. 

But me being sort of prideful and obstinate,,, it kind of goes against my grain. Though it is still the wiser choice. One thing satisfies the ego , the other satisfies ones group . 

The ELSEWHERE is noted. :) 

see me cooperating ? 

• Like 2

I do and thank you, lol

fwiw - I cant really envision a scenario where that Viking would have cause to say that to you.

Here's a picture of Stosh, if anyone is interested. ^_^

Spoiler

viking2.jpg

Edited by rene
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Stosh said:

Yes , I would have them still be standing , and can draw it out more , if need be.

And I will say, more precisely , I do indeed care what people think about ME, does that not make me a weak wussy , but humble? 

Interesting way this thread turned. 

I'm no spiritual master. I haven't transcended the ego - if even possible.  I care what others think of me. I'd like to be considered someone who has mostly positive character traits. 

But in terms of being strong or a wuss, I think it's what you do with this concern of others' opinions of yourself, that's what makes the difference. If you change your opinions or behaviour according to every whim of others, you're a wuss. If you have the strength to acknowledge others may or may not approve of your opinions or behaviour, take it into consideration, then proceed to do what you feel is right, you can be said to be strong. 

It also takes strength to be big enough to sometimes acknowledge you are wrong and to change your opinions or behaviour.  

5 hours ago, Stosh said:

I posit that ye vikings of old , cared a great deal about the opinions of others , they wanted to be sung about , live up to the expectations of their community , to honor their ancestors and gods. This added to the fierceness they applied , and drove them forward , no?

This. Also to please their gods. But like everything, you have to know one to know the other. You have to know weakness to know strength. You have to know fear to be brave. They mutually arise. I bet ya the old Vikings had fear in their hearts when crossing wild seas, when fighting other people up close and personal in hand-to-hand combat with primitive weapons. Bravery comes from knowing that fear but to carry on. 

Blind faith in drinking beer with the gods at the long tables with other fallen warriors in Valhal, probably helped too...😉

• Like 4

I skimmed all but the first and last post. My ancestors were Haldens (for half-Dane) so likely some Viking lineage by way of England. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zerostao said:

Did someone summon a Valkyrie?

val.jpg

Not yet, warrior, but the night is still young!! :lol:

viking-swinging-axe.jpg

27 minutes ago, zanshin said:

I skimmed all but the first and last post. My ancestors were Haldens (for half-Dane) so likely some Viking lineage by way of England. 

Welcome to the long table, zanshin ^_^

136dd439391d103cf6541b048d2a6b96.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Interesting

valkyrie_by_thebastardson-d4cf24f.jpg

Looks like a healthy one!

I looked it up  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

5 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

When I was a young feller I made an axe like that.

It is interesting isn't it?!

I think you're trying to be coy regarding the ax. Whether, a staff, sword, shotgun, SAM, finger, mind, any loose object or body part---I looked at a friends illustrated book on tartans/clans and there was one of an old Scot warrior, said to have been 105 or something like that, at the Battle of Culloden. Some have the fighting spirit naturally, and others perhaps can develop it. Luckily, I have a few drops more of Viking blood than Scot in me, I am a mutt, but those are the top two. So, I am cool leaving it to the Valkyrie and her wisdom.
 True, only younger ax wielders comprised the Gallowglass which were principally Norse-Gaelic clans of Scotland hired by the Irish. Why they wanted the young warrior, I think has as much or more to do with mentality than physical though.
All cultures have storied tales of their hero warriors. Vikings have Valkyries though. There is a lot more to Viking-ness than fighting. The seamanship I think is what set them apart and carried them to their glory. Let's hear one for the Northern Gaels, in the spirit of friendship, let's watch the Irish Gal play the fiddle.

Spoiler

• Like 4

Yeah, I saw her a while back when doing some music searches.

And I have found that the bagpipe grows on me the more I hear good pipers playing.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, zerostao said:

I think you're trying to be coy regarding the ax.

Not sure what you mean.  I did make an axe like that.  When I was working in a custom sheet metal shop I cut one out of 1/4" steel.  I made it too wide, not slender enough in the neck, plus not able to taper it till the very edge edge so it was too heavy, like Thor's hammer.  It took forever to grind a sharp edge on the thick of a plate of steel.  I welded a 1.5" dia. steel pipe to it to be the handle.  I put some decorations on it with a punch.  It wasn't practical for chopping wood so it just sat around and then later went to the scrap pile.

56 minutes ago, CityHermit! said:

Thoughts on Ragnarok?

Bring it.

b2271eb058ddd28baf443db3d1702302--fantas

Edited by rene
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, CityHermit! said:

You know who survives and who doesn't, don't you?

Of course, lol.

Do you fear death?

Just now, rene said:

Of course, lol.

Do you fear death?

I don't but that's an irrelevant question. Ragnarok applies to those in it. 

3 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

I don't but that's an irrelevant question. Ragnarok applies to those in it. 

Well...according to legend - only two humans survive; and I'm pretty sure you aren't one of them. I know I'm not. :lol:

Was there anything specific you wanted to share about Ragnarok?

11 hours ago, CityHermit! said:

Thoughts on Ragnarok?

There's a lot more to Ragnarök than meets the eye. Long story short, it is a long series of events that culminate in the destruction of the world, the death of most gods and all but two humans. A man and woman who hid in the tree of life.  The remaining gods and two humans then start all over again. Unfortunately, evil also survives and lay dormant for a while. Until it all begins again... ;)

A cyclical event that signals the end/death of an era and the beginning/birth of a new. Sounds familiar..? 

After all, in the beginning, there was just emptiness or a gap, where the ice from the north merged with the fire from the south...  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are remembering that this is comic book story put to screen of what the writers think how it might have been, right?

25 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

We are remembering that this is comic book story put to screen of what the writers think how it might have been, right?

How d'ya mean? 

Ragnarok is an integral part of the Norse mythology. Waaayyy before it was dramatized and put on the big screen. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Swede said:

There's a lot more to Ragnarök than meets the eye. Long story short, it is a long series of events that culminate in the destruction of the world, the death of most gods and all but two humans. A man and woman who hid in the tree of life.  The remaining gods and two humans then start all over again. Unfortunately, evil also survives and lay dormant for a while. Until it all begins again... ;)

A cyclical event that signals the end/death of an era and the beginning/birth of a new. Sounds familiar..? 

After all, in the beginning, there was just emptiness or a gap, where the ice from the north merged with the fire from the south...  

:) Agree, very familiar, and found in many places; the TTC for one, lol.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

How d'ya mean? 

Ragnarok is an integral part of the Norse mythology. Waaayyy before it was dramatized and put on the big screen. 

Okay.  But consider, the Minotaur in an important part of Greek and Cretan mythology.  Yes, way before TV.