rene

Call to Vikings!

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I may get corrected on this , but it appears that the Finno-urgic  Sami folk, were in Scandinavia before the Germanic Norwegians. Living just a bit north of the Norse Vikings , they traded with them and were actually the source of the seafaring technology. 

They didn't do the pillaging stuff so much, though sometimes did ,  but mostly hunted and fished  , they were considered equals by the Vikings. 

There are also an eastern Finno urgic group centering just west of the Urals , the Vikings passed that way on rivers going past Moscow to the Caspian,, who were bordered to the west by the emergent Slav peoples of Poland. They may be the origin of the proto-indo-european language group , which includes most of the folks who became the Rus. 

 

So,,, if one isn't on-board with the economics inspired pillaging , doesn't look all that fair haired , would rather have a steak than fermented greenland shark .. but still had a wild streak , preferring the cold north snow , the Sami and the Rus share much the same blood and culture as the "Vikings'. 

 

Yeah the Sami people have been in those lands far longer than the Germanic people. Probably soon after the last ice age.   I think they come from both Europe and from the east. 

 

What I find interesting is their shamanic beliefs.  They had a lot of gods, very similar to the Norse gods and they worshipped nature and their ancestors. I wonder if they influenced the Vikings in their beliefs or vice versa.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rene said:

 

 

Someone, Swede maybe?, wondered if it was a 'nomadic' impulse... I think its more of an adventuring fearlessness, lol. 

 

 

Absolutely.  I agree with this. I myself packed up and moved to the other side of the globe without any worry really. I just knew it'd work out, somehow.

 

My old man just returned to Sweden from sailing to the West Indies and back. Took him a year to complete the solo trip on a small sailingboat.   All my other uncles love sailing as well. In general my whole family are very 'outdoorie'. 

 

Most of my old friends love travelling. Some so much so they've made a lifestyle out of it. Work hard during winter, travel all summer. One mate joined the French foreign legion.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swede said:

 

Absolutely.  I agree with this. I myself packed up and moved to the other side of the globe without any worry really. I just knew it'd work out, somehow.

 

My old man just returned to Sweden from sailing to the West Indies and back. Took him a year to complete the solo trip on a small sailingboat.   All my other uncles love sailing as well. In general my whole family are very 'outdoorie'. 

 

Most of my old friends love travelling. Some so much so they've made a lifestyle out of it. Work hard during winter, travel all summer. One mate joined the French foreign legion.   

I did the same thing! At age 20, I packed everything I owned (clothes, stereo, records, what else does a girl need? lol)  in the back of an old '69 Buick LeSabre and took off alone 1500 miles across the States, from the  flat hot midwest to the cool mountains of Montana. Didn't know a soul,  off on adventure! Fearless. Not naive thinking bad things couldn't happen...but like you, without any worry and just knew it would work out; it always had and so far things still do. :) 

Maybe that's in the blood, too, and part of the pull: Fearless adventuring, unafraid of new things!

Edited by rene
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rene said:

 

I'm actually a very peaceful person by preference.

That said -

Threaten me physically and you'll wish you hadn't.

Threaten my family - and no one will find what remains of you.

^_^

 

 

I`ve never threatened Rene or her family, thank goodness.  I did, however, once say something that struck her as unfair and wrongminded.  Take it from me,  Rene`s Viking feistiness is quite genuine.  :ph34r: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Starjumper said:

(Maybe that's why I would just as soon shoot most people as look at them :D)

 

OK, that was a joke.  I don't feel like that anymore since I got slightly humanized, some decades ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

 

I`ve never threatened Rene or her family, thank goodness.  I did, however, once say something that struck her as unfair and wrongminded.  Take it from me,  Rene`s Viking feistiness is quite genuine.  :ph34r: 

 

I recall that. Not the subject matter, but the event. I'm very glad you lived through it, and that our friendship survived as well. ^_^

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, well, eventually even the Vikings got tired and settled down, built houses, and raised families.

 

Rough and rowdy days are good only when you are young.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, well, eventually even the Vikings got tired and settled down, built houses, and raised families.

 

Rough and rowdy days are good only when you are young.

 

Same great taste , half the calories !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, well, eventually even the Vikings got tired and settled down, built houses, and raised families.

 

Rough and rowdy days are good only when you are young.

 

 

Not necessarily.... :lol:

 

gohome.jpg

 

 

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by rene
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Good try Rene.  But even you settled down.

 

What ever gives you that idea??

I found home on this mountain - it's where I return to between adventures. Yes, I got my head whacked pretty good last time out carving curves - but at 63 I'm a loooong way from being done. Others can just sit and wait to die. I got sails to hoist. :P

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rene said:

What ever gives you that idea??

I found home on this mountain - it's where I return to between adventures. Yes, I got my head whacked pretty good last time out carving curves - but at 63 I'm a loooong way from being done. Others can just sit and wait to die. I got sails to hoist. :P

I expected a response similar to that.

 

I'm not done yet either.  But I did trade the two wheels for four wheels.  No sails though - I was a soldier not a sailor.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rene said:

gohome.jpg

 

I like it!  Dat's me  :ph34r:  I'll use that on the whiney crybaby ugly Americans that flooded Cuenca.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stosh said:

Being insulted by someone else's ability or attitudes is really pretty weak. 

Being insulted by anything (other than a direct physical attack) is really pretty weak, imo.

And even then..  the 'insult' part of it is the smallest. For me, anyway.

I dont put much weight on what others think or say about me.

Edited by rene
Add "about me" in the last sentence for clarity. Thanks Stosh!
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Go ahead.  Insult my weaknesses.  I'll respond with my strengths.

 

LOL no need.

I posted that pic because the guy was old and still rowdy - addressing your point.

Also because I knew SJ would identify with it. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rene said:

LOL no need.

I posted that pic because the guy was old and still rowdy - addressing your point.

Also because I knew SJ would identify with it. :lol:

I know.  I just wanted to point out that I am rarely left speechless.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rene said:

Being insulted by anything (other than a direct physical attack) is really pretty weak, imo.

And even then..  the 'insult' part of it is the smallest. For me, anyway.

I dont put much weight on what others think or say.

Its ironic , caring vs strength, the weight of another's opinion meaning nothing , is that arrogance ? 

I in fact , do care about what other people think , I guess that would make me a wuss then, is this not humility? 

And so it arises , in question , whether virtue lies in arrogance or humility . Ironic ? or just wrong , IYO 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Its ironic , caring vs strength, the weight of another's opinion meaning nothing , is that arrogance ? 

I in fact , do care about what other people think , I guess that would make me a wuss then, is this not humility? 

And so it arises , in question , whether virtue lies in arrogance or humility . Ironic ? or just wrong , IYO 

 

:blush: Stosh, thank you. I left my last sentence unclear without meaning to. It should have read:

 

I dont put much weight on what others think or say about me.

 

As we were talking about insults - I must have thought what I meant was understood. My bad.

 

Do your questions still stand?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rene said:

 

:blush: Stosh, thank you. I left my last sentence unclear without meaning to. It should have read:

 

I dont put much weight on what others think or say about me.

 

As we were talking about insults - I must have thought what I meant was understood. My bad.

 

Do your questions still stand?

Yes , I would have them still be standing , and can draw it out more , if need be.

And I will say, more precisely , I do indeed care what people think about ME, does that not make me a weak wussy , but humble? 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stosh said:

Yes , I would have them still be standing , and can draw it out more , if need be.

And I will say, more precisely , I do indeed care what people think about ME, does that not make me a weak wussy , but humble? 

 

 

You'll have to answer that last question for yourself, as it relates to yourself, and how you see yourself in the world.

 

There is a whole society that would judge my ways, and ME, as being not acceptable/compliant/whatever - and I leave them to it, finding no reason to worry about that.

I'm humbled by the power of Nature - but other than that...

Humility might be helpful for those who think themselves, or their way, to be better than others - and judgmentally compare themselves to others - all of which is also something I don't do.

That's my way; yours would naturally be different. I like that we each have our own ways.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, rene said:

 

You'll have to answer that last question for yourself, as it relates to yourself, and how you see yourself in the world.

 

There is a whole society that would judge my ways, and ME, as being not acceptable/compliant/whatever - and I leave them to it, finding no reason to worry about that.

I'm humbled by the power of Nature - but other than that...

Humility might be helpful for those who think themselves, or their way, to be better than others - and judgmentally compare themselves to others - all of which is also something I don't do.

That's my way; yours would naturally be different. I like that we each have our own ways.

Then I take it you have the conventional view, that the ideal , is to not be moved by the opinions of others about ourselves. 

I posit that ye vikings of old , cared a great deal about the opinions of others , they wanted to be sung about , live up to the expectations of their community , to honor their ancestors and gods. This added to the fierceness they applied , and drove them forward , no?

Should such a tight community as lived in the frigid north , be invested in those who were unconcerned with the societal mores? 

 

If Dao promotes the sage as one who crosses the frozen river at the time of the spring thaw, is it proposing that one tromp around unconcerned with the ramifications of their actions upon themselves ? or , is it that they should be attentive to society. 

 

Should I approve more of the dog that does not heel, the friend that does not allow input to sway them?

Do we expect our friends to tiptoe , or get to the point ? Stand alone as an island ? , or compromise. 

 

If the Viking guy says I am weak , and I change my behavior to suit his vanity , then I AM weak and trying to suit his vanity.

My attitudes undermined his own , and so he is saying he is weaker than I am, essentially a baby to be coddled needing validation.  

Instead , I inform him of his weakness , a need for validation .So he might become strong like me :) 

His arrogance indicating weakness , and humility indicating strength, this is the virtue of the dao,, just like crossing the ice ,one more easily survives by taking cares , than by bulldozing around careless, in hubris. 

( or the arrogance of the statement just pisses me off ) 

 

Edited by Stosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stosh said:

Then I take it you have the conventional view, that the ideal , is to not be moved by the opinions of others about ourselves. 

I posit that ye vikings of old , cared a great deal about the opinions of others , they wanted to be sung about , live up to the expectations of their community , to honor their ancestors and gods. This added to the fierceness they applied , and drove them forward , no?

Should such a tight community as lived in the frigid north , be invested in those who were unconcerned with the societal mores? 

 

If Dao promotes the sage as one who crosses the frozen river at the time of the spring thaw, is it proposing that one tromp around unconcerned with the ramifications of their actions upon themselves ? or , is it that they should be attentive to society. 

 

Should I approve more of the dog that does not heel, the friend that does not allow input to sway them?

Do we expect our friends to tiptoe , or get to the point ? Stand alone as an island ? , or compromise. 

 

If the Viking guy says I am weak , and I change my behavior to suit his vanity , then I AM weak and trying to suit his vanity.

My attitudes undermined his own , and so he is saying he is weaker than I am, essentially a baby to be coddled needing validation.  

Instead , I inform him of his weakness , a need for validation .So he might become strong like me :) 

His arrogance indicating weakness , and humility indicating strength, this is the virtue of the dao,, just like crossing the ice ,one more easily survives by taking cares , than by bulldozing around careless, in hubris. 

( or the arrogance of the statement just pisses me off ) 

 

Quoted to get your attention - but this is easier for me:

 

My replies are in blue

 

Then I take it you have the conventional view, that the ideal , is to not be moved by the opinions of others about ourselves. 

Right - but that only applies to someones subjective opinion about me.

 

I posit that ye vikings of old , cared a great deal about the opinions of others , they wanted to be sung about , live up to the expectations of their community , to honor their ancestors and gods. This added to the fierceness they applied , and drove them forward , no?

For some of them it seems so, you betcha. I'm not sure they ALL wanted to be immortalized... kinda like here at TDB. Some do, some dont.

 

Should such a tight community as lived in the frigid north , be invested in those who were unconcerned with the societal mores? 

Invested? Nope. Under those conditions, survival depends on community cohesiveness.

 

If Dao promotes the sage as one who crosses the frozen river at the time of the spring thaw, is it proposing that one tromp around unconcerned with the ramifications of their actions upon themselves ? or , is it that they should be attentive to society. 

Should I approve more of the dog that does not heel, the friend that does not allow input to sway them?

You're adding in a different kind of thing here.

There is a difference between someone saying 'rene your hair is ugly' - and 'rene the ice is thin in that spot'. The type of things I do not concern myself with are the former. I always consider the input of others regarding types of the latter.

 

Do we expect our friends to tiptoe , or get to the point ? Stand alone as an island ? , or compromise.

I have no expectations of my friends beyond what is their own way. That doesn't mean I always expect them to act the same way all the time, lol

 

If the Viking guy says I am weak , and I change my behavior to suit his vanity , then I AM weak and trying to suit his vanity.

Why wouldn't you, in your words, "be attentive to society", heed his words and change your behavior?

 

My attitudes undermined his own , and so he is saying he is weaker than I am, essentially a baby to be coddled needing validation. Instead , I inform him of his weakness , a need for validation. So he might become strong like me :) 

Or...you might get your head chopped off. Hard to say.  :lol:

 

His arrogance indicating weakness , and humility indicating strength, this is the virtue of the dao,, just like crossing the ice ,one more easily survives by taking cares , than by bulldozing around careless, in hubris. 

( or the arrogance of the statement just pisses me off ) 

LOL I think that Viking's arrogance pissed you off. What you're calling the 'virtue of the dao' are your (and many others') ideas about what you think the way of dao is; my idea is different; and this might make for a good discussion elsewhere

 

Thanks for your reply! 

 

Edited by rene
fix formatting
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites