rene

Call to Vikings!

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, zerostao said:

Sometimes I think I hear Iceland call. ...

 

Excellent post, thanks! :wub:

 

You might like this short article & a few pics - it popped up on my phone overnight.

 

"...Unlike in European countries where Pagan conversion was born of bloody subjugation, Iceland’s relatively peaceful Christianisation allowed for its Norse roots to remain a part of the country’s cultural identity. Whereas most newly-converted countries quickly adopted a staunch anti-Pagan stance, Icelandic Christianity built upon its Pagan roots, weaving a deep affection for the old ways into the new.....

 

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180711-icelands-extraordinary-futuristic-churches

 

p06dg667.jpg

 

Churches that follow Samuelsson’s model of natural Modernism are emblematic of the country’s animistic history, standing more as monuments to nature than Christ. They seem to erupt from the rocky earth, their concrete structures taking on the appearance of once-sacred natural formations. Some could even be mistaken for Neolithic pagan shrines were if not for the prominent crosses. ... "

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Swede said:

(from an earlier post)

And I don't know... I think the descendants still go off to conquer.  Maybe not so much to rape and pillage, as that wouldn't do you any good in today's day and age... but swedes travel a lot. Both young and old. It is still a people drawn to the ocean. To nature.

 

(from this post)

I'm not so sure I know what you mean by the pull though.  Do you mean you are drawn to a certain way of life? A nomadic life?  Maybe I'm not viking after all.. 😱

All those characteristics you mention though I liken to all swedes I know. So maybe I cant see the forest for the trees.  ..

 

Oh..I bet you are, lol, if you also see yourself with those characteristics. Just because you prefer warm climes probably means you're smarter than me - if I dont harvest wood all summer I'll freeze to death in the winter. :lol:

 

 

Edited by rene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jeff said:

Mom is Swedish, dad is Norwegian. Amazingly I survived the bad jokes of my parents. 

 

:D

 

17 hours ago, rene said:

Good for you! LOL

 

Do you feel the pull at all? If so, is suppress or integrate your method?

 

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

 

Integrating, bit by bit...

 

Understood. :)

I truly believe people can become physically ill if they don't find a way to stay true to their own nature.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my knowledge, I`ve got about 0% viking blood.  I imagine my ancestors staying inside sipping weak coffee and studying literature; sadly, we raped and pillaged very little. Still, there`s something appealing about Vikingness as a human archtype.  I hope the real Vikings won`t mind if I say that I`d like to expand the repetoire of my energy body to include Viking-esque mental sturdiness and masculine toughness.  I believe the capacity to function at that frequency is part of what it means to be human. 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rene said:

 

 

For me, the pull is also towards the cool North, mountainous heavily treed terrain. I live where I do because I thrive here; I could survive in other environs..but not for very long. Others I've known, along with the above characteristics, prefer cooler locations too - and maybe that's in the blood as well.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've moved to England from Portugal 5 months ago to endure the hottest summer here in decades. I tell people, to their surprise, that I don't miss my country at all, that I have Norwegian genes, that I'm fed up with all the heat and sunshine of this English summer but I'm not really understood.

So, for the last 3 days, it has been cloudy here which has been a relief to my nerves... This morning a Romanian colleague with whom I share the house I live in asked me how she could turn on the heating... 

If my stare could kill...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oak said:

 

I've moved to England from Portugal 5 months ago to endure the hottest summer here in decades. I tell people, to their surprise, that I don't miss my country at all, that I have Norwegian genes, that I'm fed up with all the heat and sunshine of this English summer but I'm not really understood.

So, for the last 3 days, it has been cloudy here which has been a relief to my nerves... This morning a Romanian colleague with whom I share the house I live in asked me how she could turn on the heating... 

If my stare could kill...

 

You reallly need to get that job, lol. Denmark gets a little warm in the summer too though, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

To my knowledge, I`ve got about 0% viking blood.  I imagine my ancestors staying inside sipping weak coffee and studying literature; sadly, we raped and pillaged very little. Still, there`s something appealing about Vikingness as a human archtype.  I hope the real Vikings won`t mind if I say that I`d like to expand the repetoire of my energy body to include Viking-esque mental sturdiness and masculine toughness.  I believe the capacity to function at that frequency is part of what it means to be human. 

 

Well...this viking has no problem with you doing what is right for you; doing so shows a strength all of its own.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rene said:

 

You reallly need to get that job, lol. Denmark gets a little warm in the summer too though, yes?

 

July and August should be around 63 F. 

Working in getting a job there, yes :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oak said:

 

July and August should be around 63 F. 

Working in getting a job there, yes :)

63F is perfect for summers!

Got up to 80F here yesterday, the hot only lasts a few weeks..then back to low 70s. No humidity to speak of though.

Cant wait for fall!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, rene said:

63F is perfect for summers!

Got up to 80F here yesterday, the hot only lasts a few weeks..then back to low 70s. No humidity to speak of though.

Cant wait for fall!

 

Where are you rene? By the way, sadly the dao bums map isn't available anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, oak said:

 

Where are you rene? By the way, sadly the dao bums map isn't available anymore.

 

I live off-grid, very remote, up in the Selkirks. ^_^

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkirk_Mountains

 

Here is a picture of our cabin:

 

cabinsouth.jpg

Edited by rene
tried to turn picture... oh well. turn head instead. lol
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

  I believe the capacity to function at that frequency is part of what it means to be human. 

It is part. It is what it is. It is a part of who I am. Maybe sometimes the parts compete for a larger share of attention or energy. You become what you feed. I've attempted to add and experiment with different parts. I rely on imagination and count myself lucky; I have a capacity of imagination. I consider myself lucky that I was able to take five years solely for reading the classics of the western canon and another four with Taoist classics. I've hung out with Nature my whole life. Of the Taoist ones, the I Ching is by far the most interesting for me. I marvel at the Ancients from all cultures. I've always been aware of the power to reinvent oneself in the fashion of their choice. I call that free will. And there is also pre-determinations. The dance between these two is the struggle for existence and the transformation into being. Jacques' Captain used to say "That everything that happens good or bad to us here below is written on high." Jacques asked, "Sir, do you know of some way of rubbing out what's written up there?" On this forum, some suggested the written on high, yes there up high, referred to stars or astrology. I thought it had more to do with DNA; If it's in the blood--as has been mentioned on this thread.
Either way though works. For everything, there is a season. May be now we see the sea-son of mist. And we wonder. Viking is a verb, an action verb.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zerostao said:

It is part. It is what it is. It is a part of who I am. Maybe sometimes the parts compete for a larger share of attention or energy. You become what you feed. I've attempted to add and experiment with different parts. I rely on imagination and count myself lucky; I have a capacity of imagination. I consider myself lucky that I was able to take five years solely for reading the classics of the western canon and another four with Taoist classics. I've hung out with Nature my whole life. Of the Taoist ones, the I Ching is by far the most interesting for me. I marvel at the Ancients from all cultures. I've always been aware of the power to reinvent oneself in the fashion of their choice. I call that free will. And there is also pre-determinations. The dance between these two is the struggle for existence and the transformation into being. Jacques' Captain used to say "That everything that happens good or bad to us here below is written on high." Jacques asked, "Sir, do you know of some way of rubbing out what's written up there?" On this forum, some suggested the written on high, yes there up high, referred to stars or astrology. I thought it had more to do with DNA; If it's in the blood--as has been mentioned on this thread.
Either way though works. For everything, there is a season. May be now we see the sea-son of mist. And we wonder. Viking is a verb, an action verb.

 

That!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

I`d like to expand the repetoire of my energy body to include Viking-esque mental sturdiness and masculine toughness.

 

I think part of this type of strength includes a jovial nature.

 

...


Regarding the perception of Vikings raping and pillaging...at least personally I don't look back to that in a positive light.

But I think some other things can be said of their culture at the time they existed. Besides being travelers who could navigate by the stars, who may have been the first to cross the Atlantic and find the new continent, some of them were also very literate. There's a lot of Norse literature from that time or shortly after: the Prose Edda, Poetic Edda, various other works in the Codex Regius. It's actually really fun stuff to read.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were other rapers and pillagers in the world.  I'm from Scottish highlanders, the Gray Clan, they were Reivers (raiders), who liked to cut dey widdle heads off of the English.  (Maybe that's why I would just as soon shoot most people as look at them :D)

 

Hard charging, sword wielding, rough riders, used to race across the lowlands to England and steal horses from the English ... and the lowlanders ... and anyone else who had horses.  So you see, I come from a long line of horse thieves.

 

955d57ec04aea62048989d89a8711279.jpg

 

3e3fe60dd7a00a486eca2218e24ef6ef.jpg

 

His%20Head%20Bowed.jpg?timestamp=1257369

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rene said:

63F is perfect for summers!

Got up to 80F here yesterday, the hot only lasts a few weeks..then back to low 70s. No humidity to speak of though.

Cant wait for fall!

That is what my first light of the morning has been a couple times this past week.  Makes it hard to work out in the gardens with that temp and the humidity at 93.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aetherous said:

 

I think part of this type of strength includes a jovial nature.

 

...


Regarding the perception of Vikings raping and pillaging...at least personally I don't look back to that in a positive light.

But I think some other things can be said of their culture at the time they existed. Besides being travelers who could navigate by the stars, who may have been the first to cross the Atlantic and find the new continent, some of them were also very literate. There's a lot of Norse literature from that time or shortly after: the Prose Edda, Poetic Edda, various other works in the Codex Regius. It's actually really fun stuff to read.

 

Nice post; I've read them and I agree!

 

I'm actually a very peaceful person by preference.

That said -

Threaten me physically and you'll wish you hadn't.

Threaten my family - and no one will find what remains of you.

^_^

 

And here's a toast to the jovial side!!

 

viking1.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rene said:

Threaten me physically and you'll wish you hadn't.

Or even try to get involved in a disagreement she is having with another female and she will set you straight right up front.  I'm speaking from experience here.  :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Starjumper said:

There were other rapers and pillagers in the world.  I'm from Scottish highlanders, the Gray Clan, they were Reivers (raiders), 

  So you see, I come from a long line of horse thieves.

 

 

I like horses, so much, in fact, I live in Kentucky. Drinking with the Duncans led to me having a fair amount of Scot blood. The earliest of Viking poems had Dragons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may get corrected on this , but it appears that the Finno-urgic  Sami folk, were in Scandinavia before the Germanic Norwegians. Living just a bit north of the Norse Vikings , they traded with them and were actually the source of the seafaring technology. 

They didn't do the pillaging stuff so much, though sometimes did ,  but mostly hunted and fished  , they were considered equals by the Vikings. 

There are also an eastern Finno urgic group centering just west of the Urals , the Vikings passed that way on rivers going past Moscow to the Caspian,, who were bordered to the west by the emergent Slav peoples of Poland. They may be the origin of the proto-indo-european language group , which includes most of the folks who became the Rus. 

 

So,,, if one isn't on-board with the economics inspired pillaging , doesn't look all that fair haired , would rather have a steak than fermented greenland shark .. but still had a wild streak , preferring the cold north snow , the Sami and the Rus share much the same blood and culture as the "Vikings'. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I may get corrected on this , but it appears that the Finno-urgic  Sami folk, were in Scandinavia before the Germanic Norwegians. Living just a bit north of the Norse Vikings , they traded with them and were actually the source of the seafaring technology. 

They didn't do the pillaging stuff so much, though sometimes did ,  but mostly hunted and fished  , they were considered equals by the Vikings. 

There are also an eastern Finno urgic group centering just west of the Urals , the Vikings passed that way on rivers going past Moscow to the Caspian,, who were bordered to the west by the emergent Slav peoples of Poland. They may be the origin of the proto-indo-european language group , which includes most of the folks who became the Rus. 

 

So,,, if one isn't on-board with the economics inspired pillaging , doesn't look all that fair haired , would rather have a steak than fermented greenland shark .. but still had a wild streak , preferring the cold north snow , the Sami and the Rus share much the same blood and culture as the "Vikings'. 

 

That lines up with everything I've read as well...and make it a reindeer steak, if you please. :)

 

Someone, Swede maybe?, wondered if it was a 'nomadic' impulse... I think its more of an adventuring fearlessness, lol. Or as a nordic friend just PM'd me, catching me up with her news, said "I swear it's the Viking in me... willing to leave everything behind for the next adventure." So. Whether one travels or stays back; gardens or hunts; likes the cold or the hot; the pull can be found in many. ^_^  Thanks for your reply!

 

 

.

Edited by rene
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites