rene

Call to Vikings!

Cabin fever already. Fishing is done; not hunting this year; not enough snow to Ski/Shoe; just yucky spit-sleet.... but that'll all change soon enough. (-:

20181124_135723.thumb.png.da698038849c472e13578c33868ff59d.png

• Like 3

On 11/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, rene said:

I'm building a Nordic chalet !!

Well, okay, I'm having the tiny structure's shell built but I'll be doing all the interior finishing. (-:

All the constant electronics humming here in the cabin are fuzzing up my head, so my Chalet will have no wiring or other modern things... just comfy seating, wood furnishings & windows & candles & a little Jøtul for heat. I'll carry in water or melt snow for tea.

Viking posters & things & my old skis will be on the walls & a Hnefatafl game set up..ready to take on any brave challengers. Ha!

Also, it will be the perfect place to practice my kantele. Someday maybe I'll be this good :D

Anyone else have over-winter projects?

you might want to look into having a few solar cells for a little bit of power to run low voltage lights, especially now that there are excellent low voltage LED lights!  (at 12volts) Candles are romantic but not much good for anything else, kerosene lamps give a lot more light but are messy and kind of a fire hazard to boot.  Good luck,  Btw. if you have an emergency an emergency generator is not a bad idea to have for running a communications radio/CB,  charge a dead car battery, charge a phone, or run a TV for updates on extreme weather or fire  condition's.  (of course I'm saying most of this thinking you are far from getting help if need be?) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 3bob said:

you might want to look into having a few solar cells for a little bit of power to run low voltage lights, especially now that there are excellent low voltage LED lights!  (at 12volts) Candles are romantic but not much good for anything else, kerosene lamps give a lot more light but are messy and kind of a fire hazard to boot.  Good luck,  Btw. if you have an emergency an emergency generator is not a bad idea to have for running a communications radio/CB,  charge a dead car battery, charge a phone, or run a TV for updates on extreme weather or fire  condition's.  (of course I'm saying most of this thinking you are far from getting help if need be?) 

Hiya 3bob!

Those are great ideas, thanks (-:

We  have all those things in the main cabin and my chalet is within running distance lol so I have the luxury of staying primative...with the exception of a radio for music, run off batteries charged up with solar, on a thingy MH designed & I'm going to build as soon as I get the materials.

Thanks for joining in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm blond and everyone says I have viking features.  Probably from the Norwegian on my Mum's side.  Never been there though - can I still join the club? :lol:

15 minutes ago, paragon said:

I'm blond and everyone says I have viking features.  Probably from the Norwegian on my Mum's side.  Never been there though - can I still join the club? :lol:

If Athelstan can become one of the Vikings, so can you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2018 at 6:39 PM, paragon said:

You bet! Welcome and Sköl !!

• Like 1

Saw Aquaman last night.

Dayumm! :rolleyes:

Yeah I know, I know... but all I could see was a Viking. :wub:

• Like 1