rene

Call to Vikings!

Recommended Posts

How many of us are there here?

By birth or by choice -

Shout out!

 

 

 

 

viking3.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just checking for flights to Denmark :lol: looking for a job there... if a door opens up... I'll just go :ph34r: I think it's my blood calling!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oak said:

Was just checking for flights to Denmark :lol: looking for a job there... if a door opens up... I'll just go :ph34r: I think it's my blood calling!

The pull runs strong, for sure. Good luck on your search! ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dont embarrass yourself, Nungali. :P

I know of at least five here, besides me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stosh said:

Yo !

Wham,

smashed bug sound. 

Yeahhh! :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mom is Swedish, dad is Norwegian. Amazingly I survived the bad jokes of my parents. 

 

:D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Spoiler

 

I wouldn't couldn't hurt a fly--

Wham! yo  ...that squished sound...

Damn fly

crickets are cool though

I don't watch the show either

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Mom is Swedish, dad is Norwegian. Amazingly I survived the bad jokes of my parents. 

 

:D

Good for you! LOL

 

Do you feel the pull at all? If so, is suppress or integrate your method?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zerostao said:
  Reveal hidden contents

 

I wouldn't couldn't hurt a fly--

Wham! yo  ...that squished sound...

Damn fly

 

I don't watch the show though

Uh huh. :lol:

 

Here's a picture of zerostao - if anyone's interested.

 

Spoiler

16331ed71357d13e352af1f6c171ba46.jpg

 

Langvinirnir rjúfast síst.

Old friends are the last to break away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

635899234092300124.jpeg

 

Largely Norwegian so it must be in the blood, born in the US.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

635899234092300124.jpeg

 

Largely Norwegian so it must be in the blood, born in the US.

 

Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ok ok maybe I have a couple Viking bloodlines running--who knows how many--

because any Mediterranean or Russian in the small % was due to Viking wanderings.

one became what is referred to as Normans

and second line used to vacation in Scotland, they didn't leave a British isle unturned, a sister did her dna--her first comment to me was this explains the Viking ways of my youth. Whether my ancestors were greeting the French sunshine, drinking with Duncan, dancing on the Urals, shaking dust in Roskilde, marveling at Mt Etna, growing bluegrass in Kentucky,,,,

Spoiler

 

Honestly, I don't watch the show, love the theme song.

edit> I showed a couple of friends the pic, we all laughed, and they said "close"

 

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vikings of old have a well known and deserved rep for RP&B (rapepillage&burn) - but there was so much more to them.

Vik-ing is a verb, not a noun; to Vik is to go off, explore on the water (my take). Tons of history in books and online. But what about now? Descendants no longer go off to conquer, to RP&B...so what is this pull? What does it look like and how does it play out?

 

My guess is that by whatever mechanism - characteristics that were in the blood then, are still in the blood now. Fierce protectiveness and loyalty to family, friends, kin and clan. An unequaled measure of independence and freedom. Self-reliance and self-responsibility. A very deep connection to Nature. And a ready willingness to jump in to the fray. 

 

For me, the pull is also towards the cool North, mountainous heavily treed terrain. I live where I do because I thrive here; I could survive in other environs..but not for very long. Others I've known, along with the above characteristics, prefer cooler locations too - and maybe that's in the blood as well.  

 

410e6046664e817e2be75accbb6889cd--beauti

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, rene said:

Vikings of old have a well known and deserved rep for RP&B (rapepillage&burn) - but there was so much more to them.

Vik-ing is a verb, not a noun; to Vik is to go off, explore on the water (my take). Tons of history in books and online. But what about now? Descendants no longer go off to conquer, to RP&B...so what is this pull? What does it look like and how does it play out?

 

My guess is that by whatever mechanism - characteristics that were in the blood then, are still in the blood now. Fierce protectiveness and loyalty to family, friends, kin and clan. An unequaled measure of independence and freedom. Self-reliance and self-responsibility. A very deep connection to Nature. And a ready willingness to jump in to the fray. 

 

For me, the pull is also towards the cool North, mountainous heavily treed terrain. I live where I do because I thrive here; I could survive in other environs..but not for very long. Others I've known, along with the above characteristics, prefer cooler locations too - and maybe that's in the blood as well.  

 

 

 

 

 

I'm swedish. Lived there till I was in my early twenties when I moved to a much warmer climate in Australia... 

 

As much as I'm proud of my viking heritage, I'm afraid a large part of it is made up. Romaniticised and exaggerated stories of heroism. Unfortunately this has been used by various nationalistic idealists, both Scandinavian and German. 

 

The word viking has not really been clearly defined and people of that era did not call themselves Vikings. I like the explanation that the word 'vik' which means 'bay' in English indicates they were a coastal people. 

 

In saying all that, the  Vikings have left a large impact both up north and in the middle east as well as in north america. They were well known for the raping and pillaging and sacking of english monasteries.  But also for their sailing skills, their merchant skills, the exploration and settlement of new areas.  The viking was also known to serve as mercenaries or bodyguards in the middle east. 

 

But I think it's the Norse Gods or mythology that most people think of when they hear the word viking. 

 

And I don't know... I think the descendants still go off to conquer.  Maybe not so much to rape and pillage, as that wouldn't do you any good in today's day and age... but swedes travel a lot. Both young and old. It is still a people drawn to the ocean. To nature. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Swede said:

 

I'm swedish. Lived there till I was in my early twenties when I moved to a much warmer climate in Australia... 

 

As much as I'm proud of my viking heritage, I'm afraid a large part of it is made up. Romaniticised and exaggerated stories of heroism. Unfortunately this has been used by various nationalistic idealists, both Scandinavian and German. 

 

The word viking has not really been clearly defined and people of that era did not call themselves Vikings. I like the explanation that the word 'vik' which means 'bay' in English indicates they were a coastal people. 

 

In saying all that, the  Vikings have left a large impact both up north and in the middle east as well as in north america. They were well known for the raping and pillaging and sacking of english monasteries.  But also for their sailing skills, their merchant skills, the exploration and settlement of new areas.  The viking was also known to serve as mercenaries or bodyguards in the middle east. 

 

But I think it's the Norse Gods or mythology that most people think of when they hear the word viking. 

 

And I don't know... I think the descendants still go off to conquer.  Maybe not so much to rape and pillage, as that wouldn't do you any good in today's day and age... but swedes travel a lot. Both young and old. It is still a people drawn to the ocean. To nature. 

 

Hi Swede - I was hoping you would post! I just finished reading your introduction thread - I too read Shogun and it had the same affect on me, lol.  I agree that much of the old viking stories have been romanticized - yet my readings find those characteristics I listed were present even in the Vikings who did not go off exploring! Which is why I'm interested in those of us who are either of Nordic descent, or identify strongly with those same characteristics I've found in those I've met. It's an unusual thing that seems to run through us - and as folks here at TDB are pretty much aware of their own natures, I felt it was a good place to raise a sail.

 

Also, I do believe that not all people born in, or descended from, the Scandinavian countries are automatically of Viking descent - but many likely are...as are peoples from other areas around Europe etc - as zerostao reflected in his post.

 

It's more the pull that is the factor; rather than who Mormor was.

Some have it, some dont.  ^_^

Thanks for your reply!

Edited by rene
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sometimes I think I hear Iceland call. Land of Fire and Ice (and Elves). I am not studied and am likely wrong. However, my view works for me, and I'll stick with it. It goes like this, sometime, maybe at the height of the Viking age, Viking raiders took the best folks they had captured while out marauding about Europe and started a colony in Iceland with them. That is nearly enough to answer a call. A remote island, top of the world, colonized with select stock by marauders.
There is more, the recent 2008/2009 financial crisis where Iceland took a very different route than the rest of the world. Iceland chose to step further away from Europe. The people of Iceland elected to jail their politicians and the banksters and declared their citizen's debt free. And that alone is nearly enough to answer the call.
Iceland's economy recovered naturally on its own without IMF loans or bailouts. Now they have a political party called the Pirate party. Around this same time, anonymous was using pirate symbolism, Guy Fawkes as a pirate. And Iceland has taken efforts to offer Edward Snowden citizenship. It makes sense, Ice Land & Snow Den. All good reasons.
A thousand years of being isolated from the world in the cold north seas at the confluence of the North Atlantic & Arctic oceans, I'd say these people are among the most independent self-reliant on the planet. For 90+% of their history they may have been under some rule, like Denmark, but there they were left to their own devices and free to do whatever. More good reasons.
Iceland is extreme; there is no getting around that. Artistically, I know the value of experiencing the extreme. Iceland is welcoming. They will give you a chance to make it there, of course, they know the odds are long. Iceland likes those that can beat long odds. Want to live on this island? Earn it! When I think of Vikings, I think of marauding pirates or raiders setting sail for adventure on those ships of theirs. It is no wonder they get romanticized. I always thought Viking was a word for higher achieving pirate. Because they have pirate traits and so much more than just that. They could equally raid you or trade with you. If you were having serious issues with your neighbors, invite a few Vikings to hang out and party. I agree that when we think about Vikings, there is a strong myth to consider. My consideration is heroes turn into legends and legends turn into myths.

The other "Viking Countries" are all appealing from my pov, each in their own way. Iceland is the extreme.

And then maybe the call is to return to Viking ways, like ingenuity. Some consider those ships the top technological achievement of that age. Vikings used that cutting edge to tremendous advantage.  Maybe the call is to hoist sail and sail, and the geography is secondary.

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

anonymous pirate.jpg

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rene said:

 

Hi Swede - I was hoping you would post! I just finished reading your introduction thread - I too read Shogun and it had the same affect on me, lol.  I agree that much of the old viking stories have been romanticized - yet my readings find those characteristics I listed were present even in the Vikings who did not go off exploring! Which is why I'm interested in those of us who are either of Nordic descent, or identify strongly with those same characteristics I've found in those I've met. It's an unusual thing that seems to run through us - and as folks here at TDB are pretty much aware of their own natures, I felt it was a good place to raise a sail.

 

Also, I do believe that not all people born in, or descended from, the Scandinavian countries are automatically of Viking descent - but many likely are...as are peoples from other areas around Europe etc - as zerostao reflected in his post.

 

It's more the pull that is the factor; rather than who Mormor was.

Some have it, some dont.  ^_^

Thanks for your reply!

 

Haha yes... Shogun. Great book, at that time of my life. 

 

As a youngster I was very interested in the viking mythology, as most kids were. All the stories of battle and heroism and the great northern staunchness  😎  Like you said, the ones who stayed behind when the warriors left off for great adventures were just as staunch. Being conditioned to our modern day comforts I'd hate to live back then 😂 It was a harsh way of life. 

 

Geographically speaking there could be viking blood all throughout northern Europe, the baltics, down to the middle east. 

 

I'm not so sure I know what you mean by the pull though.  Do you mean you are drawn to a certain way of life? A nomadic life?  Maybe I'm not viking after all.. 😱

 

All those characteristics you mention though I liken to all swedes I know. So maybe I cant see the forest for the trees.   I did my military service far north and I cant say I enjoy or long for the extreme cold (-46°c at the coldest) or the barren windy landscape. Give me the beautiful west coast any day with its glorious spring and summers. That, is what my heart longs for.  

 

@zerostao, you are pretty close in your assumptions about Iceland. It was originately populated by Norwegians who had mainly Irish slaves with them. Financially they're doing really well. I've never been but I'd love to go one day. Although I recently read they were worried about the huge impact/stress tourism has on their natural resources and wilderness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting this thread appears this morning as I watched a documentary last night about the Vikings and one part of it suggested that DNA tests show Native American DNA in some of the Scandinavian people.

 

It was suggested that when Erik got lost and ended up in what is now Canada some of the Vikings mated with the American Natives and even took a few women back home with them when they left.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rene said:

Good for you! LOL

 

Do you feel the pull at all? If so, is suppress or integrate your method?

 

Integrating, bit by bit...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Interesting this thread appears this morning as I watched a documentary last night about the Vikings and one part of it suggested that DNA tests show Native American DNA in some of the Scandinavian people.

 

It was suggested that when Erik got lost and ended up in what is now Canada some of the Vikings mated with the American Natives and even took a few women back home with them when they left.

 

I heard that while they were traveling around the world they 'borrowed' the most beautiful women and took them home, which is why Scandihoovia has the most beautiful women in the world ... Except maybe for Rio.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, that woman I met yesterday must have been a Nordic.  Blond hair, blue eyes, big boobs, full bodied, and friendly.

 

 

Oh!  I forgot.  And rides a Harley.

 

 

Edited by Marblehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zerostao said:

ok ok maybe I have a couple Viking bloodlines running--who knows how many--

because any Mediterranean or Russian in the small % was due to Viking wanderings.

one became what is referred to as Normans

and second line used to vacation in Scotland, they didn't leave a British isle unturned, a sister did her dna--her first comment to me was this explains the Viking ways of my youth. Whether my ancestors were greeting the French sunshine, drinking with Duncan, dancing on the Urals, shaking dust in Roskilde, marveling at Mt Etna, growing bluegrass in Kentucky,,,,

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Honestly, I don't watch the show, love the theme song.

edit> I showed a couple of friends the pic, we all laughed, and they said "close"

 

Also descended from the Norman line..

 

:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites