Tombartifacts

I love Tacos

32 minutes ago, ONE said:

I have used a similar techniques with small size river rocks / gravel  like a   'hangi' *   -  but in  a gravel bed . 

Dig fire pit near river in the gravel. Have a fire, fill in the pit on coals with more gravel, then a layer of food, then more hot gravel.

*   Hangi;

5267174039_8052158710_b.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/18/2018 at 11:59 AM, liminal_luke said:

Tacos al pastor are done on a gyro style spit all over  Mexico (pictured below).  There`s also something called "tacos arabes" -- arabic tacos -- a specialty of Puebla.  The meat for tacos arabes is also cooked on a spit like shawarma and piled into a thick pita-esque bread.

I don`t care a whole lot about authenticity myself as long as something tastes good.  My mom used to make the best tacos that we`d top with jack cheese and American style sour cream.  Not very authentic but boy were they yummy.  

im0-630X480.jpg

Is that arabic taco different from the delicacy that the arabs call shawarma?

Edited by GeologyGeorge

4 hours ago, GeologyGeorge said:

Hi GeologyGeorge,

Here`s an article on arabic tacos from one of my favorite food websites, serious eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/how-to-make-mexican-pueblan-tacos-arabes.html.  According to the article, Middle Eastern immigrants to Mexico brought with them the tradition of shawarma.  Tacos arabes are similar but mostly use pork rather than lamb.

LL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GeologyGeorge said:

Hey GeologyGeorge , do you like geology ?  I do .   Lets rap rocks .

(But so as not to go off topic - .      when I eat tacos at home ....  I am standing on a geological    ....   :) 

(Mine is a mudstone subduction fault, I am down in the 'deep bit'  ;

IMGP2901.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/20/2018 at 8:51 AM, liminal_luke said:

Hi GeologyGeorge,

Here`s an article on arabic tacos from one of my favorite food websites, serious eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/02/how-to-make-mexican-pueblan-tacos-arabes.html.  According to the article, Middle Eastern immigrants to Mexico brought with them the tradition of shawarma.  Tacos arabes are similar but mostly use pork rather than lamb.

LL

One of my favorite places would have  seasoned chicken breast, thick slab of onion, tomato, repeat all the way up the spit.  Slow roasted like a gyros so a nice thick crust forms.  Really good.  Very much like shawarma, but served on thin tortillas. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thelerner said:

One of my favorite places would have  seasoned chicken breast, thick slab of onion, tomato, repeat all the way up the spit.  Slow roasted like a gyros so a nice thick crust forms.  Really good.  Very much like shawarma, but served on thin tortillas. 

images.jpg.d9edd895f2b78b1586341580148133fe.jpg T

This is how I`ve mostly seen chicken roasted in Mexico.  It`s delicious but what you`re describing with just chicken breasts, onions, and tomato all spit-roasted together sounds even better.

• Like 2

Heck. Do you guys realize that tomorrow is TACO TUESDAY?!

Due to my ongoing but as yet incomplete attempt to heal leaky gut, I cannot eat gluten, glutin, or any nut/seed meals. (I'm keto so I don't eat the grains anyway.) So I am for the time being stuck with coconut flour and protein powder and maybe oat fiber as my sole baking options for making tortillas. Which... ergh. Kinda suck. I did however work out making taco shells out of cheese itself which are surprisingly pretty good (see). Although ridiculously filling!

Taco Bowls are easiest but they aren't "real" mexican food. Just spiced chuck burger with shred cheese, diced scallions and tomatoes and jalapenos, sometimes some sour cream or guacamole. I miss carne asada, maybe I should be making tacos with that.

Gak. Now I've made myself even more hungry but it's 1am so I'm not going to eat. Tomorrow (er, today, but later) I will eat. TACOS!

RC

• Like 2

had soft tacos for dinner last night, so I must have known somehow  

tuned in to the cosmic taco     :D 

soft taco , smoked chicken, lettuce, red onion, sour cream and smoked chipotle sauce .....

Mmmmmmm .....

15 hours ago, redcairo said:

Heck. Do you guys realize that tomorrow is TACO TUESDAY?!

RC

I`ve been in semi-retirement lately but feel inspired to emerge briefly to offer an idea for a future Taco Tuesday -- picadillo.

4 tablespoons olive oil 

2 pounds chopped lean beef (hamburger, in my experience)

2 onions, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped

1 pound tomatoes, peeled seeded, and chopped

3 canned jalepeño chiles, seeded and chopped

1/2 cup raisins

1/4 cup pimiento stuffed olives

1/3 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cloves

salt

freshly ground pepper

1/4 cup slivered almonds

Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet, and brown the meat; then add the onions and garlic.  When brown, add all the other ingredients except the almonds, and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Simmer gently, uncovered, until cooked, or about 20 minutes.  Fry the almonds until golden in a little olive oil and sprinkle over the top.

from The Complete Book of Mexican Cooking by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz

This recipe is neither nut-free nor really a taco, but it is keto-friendly (I think) and delicious (I know).  Picadillo is one of those Mexican foods that I didn`t know about until I actually came to Mexico.  My Mexican partner loves picadillo and often has it stuffed into burritos and, in Zacatecas, as a filling for gorditas.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

We have a wonderful mezcaleria, Clavel in downtown Baltimore, with amazing tacos!

It's tiny and loud.

I LOVE their huitlacoche tacos with a shot of El Buho and a michelada chaser.

Mmmmm

• Like 3

Chicago's filled with great taco places.  One favorite The Taco Joint, first rate mexican style tacos.  You have to pay extra for a clean glass. 

In Chicago you want to find a great Mexican food, follow a police car.  Police know great tacos and you probably robbed either.

• Like 2

Keto but for the raisins and apples, lovely sugar bombs :-)  A SWEETish taco -- sounds interesting!

RC

• Like 1