Phoenix3

What exactly is ‘turning the light around’, in daoist meditation?

2 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

This is it.

Thanks, hoping to get insight into everyone's practice. 

I'll definitely go against the grain here, and say that the book instructs to use the eyes in the certain way. Ignoring that advice means you're practicing something else.

First we use method(s). And after that we drop the method(s) and sit in stillness. If you can start with stillness and without methods right away, it's good; but reality is that virtually nobody can do that.

As for the length of sitting - 1-2 hours per sit is a good start.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, thelerner said:

Would you guys mind describing how you practice the Golden Flower meditation?  How you sit, breath.. put your attention and for how long?  Getting away from philosophy and the book, into how you perform it.

If you already wrote it up, could you link to it?

Thanks

For example, this is what I do, influenced by GF,  but probably not GF itself.

During seated meditation, I'll relax, count my breaths 1-10, repeat til breath and mind quiet (not GF, but a pre-meditation set).  Then breath in through 3rd eye for half of in breath, then send it down, tip of nose, throat, heart, solar plex, lower dantien.  Then hold my attention there for there through the out breath, repeat. 

Little things, sometimes I'll an inner sound, like a hahhh as my attention moves past my heart.  I keep my hands against my lower dantien. 

After 10 or 15 minutes I'll breath as quietly as I can, for 10 minutes or so, then give that up for just sitting.

I "turn my hand over"

Edited by joeblast

But if one keeps shining the light into one's own face they will eventually go blind.

One should turn the light around so that they can see the other things of the universe.

(However, should we do that we might find that we are not the most important thing in the universe.)

• Like 2