Owledge

Need insight on how Asian culture deals with delicate matters. Mystery to solve.

Not sure whether this is for Rabbit Hole or General Discussion, but I need someone who understands these things. Maybe if you know someone you can direct them here.

There's an Asian restaurant here that popped up a while before my favorite one nearby closed, so I started going there. They had some less common stuff on the menu, so I search the internet for it and stumbled upon another Asian restaurant that had the same descriptions for their menu types. Judging by nature of minimal modifications between the two, it really looks like the local one just ripped the texts off the other one and also mostly the menu structuring.

The problem is that those descriptions also don't match what they offer. They have different sauces, but their veggie mix is pretty much the same for every menu they offer.

After fully realizing this I went inside where no one could overhear and calmly inquired about why that is. And the woman who is waiting tables was absolutely evasive, in the way where she didn't even respond to what I said, but pretended like I had said something else; didn't find anything she could reply with, just pretended all was fine and dandy; very clumsy. Even if I consider the possibility that it's not malice or selfish convenience behind it, I found that quite rude and thinking: "Well, what do they expect to come from that?"

I also heard some vague things from another business that they might be difficult to deal with, always thinking they're right and a bit self-aggrandizing and pretending to not understand the local language; hard to have good relations with.

For one thing, I'm not getting the kind of vibe from that that would make me go there again. The food is OK, but still, I am sensitive to these things. But I am considering inquiring at the other restaurant about the matter, and maybe some other sources to figure out what's going on. I mean, it could very well be that the presence of that restaurant caused the other one I used to go to to have to close shop. They said they were not getting much business anymore.

And generally I don't like the kind of personality traits that I am getting indications of.

Personally I also noticed they tend to do their own thing first before serving customers, whether it be having a snack or wiping every table outside clean before adressing a customer who wants to pay.

But I could assume there's also a whole world of inside dealings in the Asian restaurant business, with families, mafia, rivalry etc.., dunno. From what I see it could just as well just be someone trying to sleaze their way.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

You have posted in the right area of the forums.  General discussion is for practice, system or "spiritual" related discussions that do not already have a sub-forum.

Go to the restaurant you feel like had their menu ripped off and casually mention their menu is oddly similar to a place down the road.

Maybe they are owned by the same family? Maybe the owners are business partners or it is just a case of one friend helping a friend?

• Like 1

If they are in some way related, I didn't at all get the impression that they're on good terms, so if I point out the ripoff, I might set something in motion I know very little about. Their fear is obvious, but I don't know what it's based on. I'm trying to access some other sources first.

China has been doing knock-offs for thousands of years.  It is in their blood to do so.    So doing it anywhere outside of china would not surprise me.   Also possible a north vs south cuisine different for the same dish too.  I would not put any effort to it and simply attend the restaurant you like.  

• Like 3