Mig

Money

3 hours ago, joeblast said:

So ultimately it would seem to boil down to - do I want to be part of this society, or not?

That is an interesting question.

To find the answer, you must correctly see what "part" there is to be, and of what.

And see if this is reality or fiction.

Because at the point of believing and doing this, it becomes real for you.

Even if it never was actually real.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

22 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

That is an interesting question.

To find the answer, you must correctly see what "part" there is to be, and of what.

-VonKrankenhaus

And the question again is about money. I can live with little money and I know most of my resources are limited. Then I see people chasing for the money and at least one of them will succeed and have better than the little I have. So the Daoist rhetoric about having less is better, don't really match in living in society. Unless, i have misinterpreted the Daoist texts or the DDJ. I think according to some Daoists you can blend in society, make money and cultivate the Dao and still being compassionate and helpful to others. That's the reason why I think those temples, congregations, movements were created to help each other.

29 minutes ago, Mig said:

And the question again is about money. I can live with little money and I know most of my resources are limited. Then I see people chasing for the money and at least one of them will succeed and have better than the little I have. So the Daoist rhetoric about having less is better, don't really match in living in society. Unless, i have misinterpreted the Daoist texts or the DDJ. I think according to some Daoists you can blend in society, make money and cultivate the Dao and still being compassionate and helpful to others. That's the reason why I think those temples, congregations, movements were created to help each other.

Hi Mig - it might be that its not a case of 'less money is better' promoted in daoist texts - but more about one's relationship to material things. And, imo, all religious organizations would do well to look at their own relationship to wealth. I'm hard pressed to find favor with, for example, the Catholic Church preaching against poverty - with billions in it's own pockets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mig said:

Then I see people chasing for the money and at least one of them will succeed and have better than the little I have. So the Daoist rhetoric about having less is better, don't really match in living in society.

Is living in society "better"?

What is "society"?

Isn't "better" a bit like "more"? So maybe they are more able to do what "society" values?

Like "better" food? Better medicine? Better social interactions?

Look at the statistics for degenerative disease and iatrogenic harm.

Society's food and medicine is killing more people than outright wars do.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Medicine-Gary-Null/dp/1607660067

And these things made of air, water, land, and sunshine - how did anyone get them to sell them to you?

They stole them.
They used violence.

How valuable is "more" or "better" of that?

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus
  • Like 1

If I am a Daoist, I am certainly not a religious one. How often do we see new people show up on this site and immediately demand the most powerful Daoist system to be revealed to them? I always find that so amusing on many levels. On another thread a bum mentioned (my?) passive aggressive humility, I thought I was answering a seemingly innocuous question that they asked and quickly found out that bum's question lacked sincerity and was laid out there like a trap. I stepped away to avoid further entangling. Getting that entangled on me feels so sticky, worse than the most muggy summer dog day with no air stirring at all. It makes it difficult to breathe.
 I think after a few years of watching this, I am catching on. There is a strong link between religion and money. The lines between the two blur and bleed over and for many money is their religion. And they equate money with power. Religion plays itself as power. I am not getting this about having to have money to live in a society either. That flies right over my head there. Somehow this idea is firmly entangled, and it does fit well with the rest of the misunderstandings (entanglements).
Entanglements start off as merely twisted and then progress to where one is caught in it like a trap. Not even like a trap, it is a trap. A clever, cunning trap. I doubt this post is any help to the OP or anyone. Just disregard it and carry on seeking powers that religion and money bestow, and why not add politics, there is another path to power, yes, no? Dear dear, My passive aggressive humility is showing itself again. I need to work on that. However, you'll never know what power is by sticking to that path (seeking false power); I've concluded from my observations that the overwhelming majority of folks like feeling sticky and go all in for more entanglements. They get a tub of sticky and rub it all over. It's on sale now. It doesn't look like much of a bargain to me. Good luck along your path. If the stars smile down on you one day and you come to a fork in the road, my advice is to take it. It just might lead to somewhere that isn't Stickyville.

Edited by zerostao

Well, I like my new car and I'm glad I had the money to buy it.  And the money was earned honestly and saved tenaciously.  Now the money is gone but I have the car.

Bump!

As a person about to step into the money-making game of the society, I would love to hear more views on this.

Money is also about security and choices.  Security is good, though total safety is an illusion.  It's horrible to worry about paying rent, food.. necessities.  It's nice to have a cushion and savings.  Still, a first world problem is too many choices.  I think it leaves us less happy.  Wasting our time chasing after shiny things and too distracted. 

If we can, we should mold our life into what we want. 

One hour,

one room,

one meal,

one job at a time.  If we can.

3 hours ago, skyblue said:

Bump!

As a person about to step into the money-making game of the society, I would love to hear more views on this.

Money or the lack thereof ultimately comes down to karma. 

The karma of plenty is having been generous.

The karma of lack is having not been generous. 

9 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Money or the lack thereof ultimately comes down to karma.

The karma of plenty is having been generous.

The karma of lack is having not been generous. 

I have a journal of gratitude, writing down what I'm thankful for

and I realized it wasn't complete, it was missing something.

So I added generosity to it; things I'd done for others

and it was a much better journal. 

Gratitude and generosity are two sides of the same coin.  One you want to keep in your pocket at all times.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 11:29 AM, Mig said:

In previous posting, I mentioned about if Daoist is practiced by the well off, financially speaking. And now, I am looking for a job and started thinking, we need money to live in society and to pay whatever we need. Saying that we don't need money is being delusional or not being realistic. You have money, you have more to live better, nice in most of everything, you don't have money then you have to either survive or live a miserable life. Sure, I can hear people saying, I live to pay rent and then I don't need anything material. I don't believe in that as people when they talk they are not honest with themselves for the most part. So for those who are Daoists, what's the importance of money and how can you live comfortably when we know today the basics it has its price and good things usually are expensive to buy. Not to forget to rent a nice place in a nice area, it is common to see that renting is not affordable. So, do I need to live in the hood or the favelas just because that's all I can afford? And the cycle starts, should I sweat to work to pay bills or should I stay and become an hermit as the ones we see in YouTube?

One of the Three Clarities: The Embodiment of Lu Xing 祿星

Your question surmises that the spiritual nexus of well-being within a person's life has its basis in money; this is a common perspective around topics of power, because many expressions of life so often seem to coalesce in forms of power and this in turn can provoke both fear and desire in people. This perspective creates a multiplicity of contentions through material and conceptual dichotomies (and more) as you try to fit the infinity of spiritual manifestation into the mundane currency of a single form: money! (but you could replace this word for sex, politics or any other mundane condition where power tends to consolidate and wield itself).  If instead, your mundane life springs from the living awareness of spiritual connection to the Source that births all manifestations, then what is necessary to you will appear as is necessary for who you are, at the right time, naturally and in abundance.

What you talk about... safety, security, sanctity and health to live a full and deep life, rests more foundationally in prosperity (or foremost a deeper form of essential wealth)- the monetary economics of which are only one means, but for most in this variant of time and place, a very important and often vital one nonetheless.  

First, if you recognize and understand that the energy (qi- which actually has many forms) of prosperity has inifinite potential in flow, then this will begin to change your concept of how wellness manifests and this will allow you to be more receptive and grateful to its many guises as you discover the abundance of miracle through mundanity.

Prosperity is actually one of the three clarities of The Three Taoist Immortals correlated with the celestial bodies and elixir fields of our system, and who are themselves together the embodiment of unified purity when they congregate in the inner heavens (of the universe and your system):

Lu Xing- God of Prosperity (including all forms of wealth)
Fu Xing- God of Good Fate (including all forms of fortune),
Shou Xing-God of  Longevity (including all forms of health),

(A small aside. I notice in the West that The Three Wise Ones are either not talked about or are seen as caricatures of some kind, but in Southeast Asian cultures they are very much revered: many wines, foods and alters are set up in honor of them. When I was growing up, their names and their values were always mentioned; especially to give blessing on special occasions, to mark the potential greatness in new beginnings, and at Lunar New Year. One of the Chinese herbal shops I often visit has a shrine in honor of Shou Xing to give blessings of health to their patrons).

These three deities have had numinous manifestations across life times, achieving immortality with a unique focus of teaching from Emptiness as it leads from formlessness to become form and back again. Clarity in any of these three areas helps with the luminosity of transformation within us.

Prosperity is what occurs when the heavens in the (jade and purple) palace of the Three Treasures in our body are Consciously nurtured. Longevity is what happens when the roots of the Three Treasures are Consciously nurtured. And Good Fate/Happiness/Fortune is what happens when the Earth and the Heavens unite at the center (through the heart) of all that we are as ren (human).  Notice that in unification they are interdependent, ultimately inter-changeable and together create the potential for the treasures of wellness in our life from our bodies and through our bodies.  Remember that that which is Immortal is without desire, hence it is eternal and this applies to all formations of Treasure internal and external (...so don't objectify money and 'things'- lest xi shen, xi shen [acquired consciousness, acquired consciousness]).

So prosperity or the wealth of our lives are part of an energetic Consciousness that moves through the universe and into our subtle body systems. Abundance of the Treasures comes from our clarity of access to these energies and (wise) understandings from (the levels of) Emptiness within the universe. Hence, when we become afraid, jealous, resentful, greedy or desireful of these powers, it creates obscurity and distortion, leading to imbalances in health and lifestyle and ultimately, our spirit. So do not struggle with the idea of 'have and have not' and then harmfully fight about it with yourself or with others; this is not clear. Worry less about specific attainments (or loss/lack) of any kind and focus more on what really needs doing within yourself so that prosperity, fate and health can naturally manifest of their own accord from your virtue and as is necessary for your living spirit path.

To make this easier to understand and to begin with, consider living each day of your life like this:

Make the kinds of life choices that are true and gracious to each step of the process without fear of the potential outcome- the kind where you could honestly and humbly always say from within your heart from start to finish that it is, will be and was always worth it! This is true conscious commitment. If you can do this with metta (deep self and universal loving-kindness) each day of your life in all things, then sense right here and now how much more empowering, transformational and liberating life becomes!

This is a good first step and first breath to be practiced so that it may become literally
EVERY step and EVERY breath of your living!

So the root of your cultivation in this life needs to be one of a deep honesty in integrity of what is essential, committing to fulfill what is necessary- not what is the idea of something spiritual nor something societal, nor because you think you are a  ___put a self-affirmed label here___.

One must be deep and humble in their commitment to do what needs doing, and this requires a commitment in fearlessness and with vulnerability (this is often part of a larger, more complex topic so I won't get into it here, but it does mean you need the courage to live with an open heart in the face of all things- without passion, blindness nor foolishness and with lots of Love* :) Learning to do so is part of the human cultivation that allows us to step Consciously through the Mysterious Passage and go through what are known as the Spiritual Deaths- because at the least, who can know such Mystery without clarity and truthfulness, who can confront Death graciously without fearlessness and humility?). Also, one cannot be selfish in this endeavor if one is to be holistic and whole.

Before I close this post, a word of reminder:  Prosperity like any other clarity realized in Consciousness, must arise from your De (virtue). So do not confuse the attainments of yourself or others made through strife to be those arising from wisdom- whether these appear to be 'attainments' in cultivation or material life. Rightful living, including the rightfulness of resource and abundance that is True prosperity manifests uniquely to each soul's path from wei wu wei (effortless action) ; do not try to justify or rationalize- to yourself or for others, the things which do not come from the virtue of benevolent light.

*Love is understandably, another big topic for people, and I won't get into it here, but by this I do not necessarily mean human emotionality, nor sociopathic ideation from lack of emotions, nor the science of bio-chemistry or instinct or drive; but I do mean what is great and that which can be experienced as the bliss of enlightenment)

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Small Fur said:

Your question surmises that the spiritual nexus of well-being within a person's life has its basis in money; this is a common perspective around topics of power, because many expressions of life so often seem to coalesce in forms of power and this in turn can provoke both fear and desire in people. This perspective creates a multiplicity of contentions through material and conceptual dichotomies (and more) as you try to fit the infinity of spiritual manifestation into the mundane currency of a single form: money! (but you could replace this word for sex, politics or any other mundane condition where power tends to consolidate and wield itself).  If instead, your mundane life springs from the living awareness of spiritual connection to the Source that births all manifestations, then what is necessary to you will appear as is necessary for who you are, at the right time, naturally and in abundance.

What you talk about... safety, security, sanctity and health to live a full and deep life, rests more foundationally in prosperity (or foremost a deeper form of essential wealth)- the monetary economics of which are only one means, but for most in this variant of time and place, a very important and often vital one nonetheless.  

First, if you recognize and understand that the energy (qi- which actually has many forms) of prosperity has inifinite potential in flow, then this will begin to change your concept of how wellness manifests and this will allow you to be more receptive and grateful to its many guises as you discover the abundance of miracle through mundanity.

Prosperity is actually one of the three clarities of The Three Taoist Immortals correlated with the celestial bodies and elixir fields of our system, and who are themselves together the embodiment of unified purity when they congregate in the inner heavens (of the universe and your system):

Lu Xing- God of Prosperity (including all forms of wealth)
Fu Xing- God of Good Fate (including all forms of fortune),
Shou Xing-God of  Longevity (including all forms of health),

(A small aside. I notice in the West that The Three Wise Ones are either not talked about or are seen as caricatures of some kind, but in Southeast Asian cultures they are very much revered: many wines, foods and alters are set up in honor of them. When I was growing up, their names and their values were always mentioned; especially to give blessing on special occasions, to mark the potential greatness in new beginnings, and at Lunar New Year. One of the Chinese herbal shops I often visit has a shrine in honor of Shou Xing to give blessings of health to their patrons).

These three deities have had numinous manifestations across life times, achieving immortality with a unique focus of teaching from Emptiness as it leads from formlessness to become form and back again. Clarity in any of these three areas helps with the luminosity of transformation within us.

Prosperity is what occurs when the heavens in the (jade and purple) palace of the Three Treasures in our body are Consciously nurtured. Longevity is what happens when the roots of the Three Treasures are Consciously nurtured. And Good Fate/Happiness/Fortune is what happens when the Earth and the Heavens unite at the center (through the heart) of all that we are as ren (human).  Notice that in unification they are interdependent, ultimately inter-changeable and together create the potential for the treasures of wellness in our life from our bodies and through our bodies.  Remember that that which is Immortal is without desire, hence it is eternal and this applies to all formations of Treasure internal and external (...so don't objectify money and 'things'- lest xi shen, xi shen [acquired consciousness, acquired consciousness]).

So prosperity or the wealth of our lives are part of an energetic Consciousness that moves through the universe and into our subtle body systems. Abundance of the Treasures comes from our clarity of access to these energies and (wise) understandings from (the levels of) Emptiness within the universe. Hence, when we become afraid, jealous, resentful, greedy or desireful of these powers, it creates obscurity and distortion, leading to imbalances in health and lifestyle and ultimately, our spirit. So do not struggle with the idea of 'have and have not' and then harmfully fight about it with yourself or with others; this is not clear. Worry less about specific attainments (or loss/lack) of any kind and focus more on what really needs doing within yourself so that prosperity, fate and health can naturally manifest of their own accord from your virtue and as is necessary for your living spirit path.

To make this easier to understand and to begin with, consider living each day of your life like this:

Make the kinds of life choices that are true and gracious to each step of the process without fear of the potential outcome- the kind where you could honestly and humbly always say from within your heart from start to finish that it is, will be and was always worth it! This is true conscious commitment. If you can do this with metta (deep self and universal loving-kindness) each day of your life in all things, then sense right here and now how much more empowering, transformational and liberating life becomes!

This is a good first step and first breath to be practiced so that it may become literally
EVERY step and EVERY breath of your living!

So the root of your cultivation in this life needs to be one of a deep honesty in integrity of what is essential, committing to fulfill what is necessary- not what is the idea of something spiritual nor something societal, nor because you think you are a  ___put a self-affirmed label here___.

One must be deep and humble in their commitment to do what needs doing, and this requires a commitment in fearlessness and with vulnerability (this is often part of a larger, more complex topic so I won't get into it here, but it does mean you need the courage to live with an open heart in the face of all things- without passion, blindness nor foolishness and with lots of Love* :) Learning to do so is part of the human cultivation that allows us to step Consciously through the Mysterious Passage and go through what are known as the Spiritual Deaths- because at the least, who can know such Mystery without clarity and truthfulness, who can confront Death graciously without fearlessness and humility?). Also, one cannot be selfish in this endeavor if one is to be holistic and whole.

Before I close this post, a word of reminder:  Prosperity like any other clarity realized in Consciousness, must arise from your De (virtue). So do not confuse the attainments of yourself or others made through strife to be those arising from wisdom- whether these appear to be 'attainments' in cultivation or material life. Rightful living, including the rightfulness of resource and abundance that is True prosperity manifests uniquely to each soul's path from wei wu wei (effortless action) ; do not try to justify or rationalize- to yourself or for others, the things which do not come from the virtue of benevolent light.

*Love is understandably, another big topic for people, and I won't get into it here, but by this I do not necessarily mean human emotionality, nor sociopathic ideation from lack of emotions, nor the science of bio-chemistry or instinct or drive; but I do mean what is great and that which can be experienced as the bliss of enlightenment)

Hi!

Beautiful article!!!!!

What are the "heavens in the palace of the 3 treasures in our body"?

😊

Edited by MIchael80

6 hours ago, MIchael80 said:

Hi!

Beautiful article!!!!!

What are the "heavens in the palace of the 3 treasures in our body"?

😊

When the chakra of the crown opens it connects to the heavenly dimensions of the universe, including to the Immortals and celestial energetic bodies of star systems. These  are the stars that comprise the Big Dipper and are part of a reunification process with the original template of ourselves, or the soul.  The connection to the celestial realms are then transmitted back into the humanly vessel and that energy is sent into a sacred dimension known as the Crystal Palace located behind the third eye, where there are then further refractions and distributions of the energy through our organ and meridian systems. Even though a measure of energy from the heavens is always moving through our field, this level of opening and connection does not happen until after the golden seed is formed and the fragrance of heavenly peach flowers have been snowing for some time during meditation.

This might sound like a recognition of the third eye to you and there is relationship to it, but the third eye only allows us to see subtle phenomena, not necessarily to understand or work with it rightly. Because of this, people who have the third eye open are only able to access a certain strata of realms, the nature of which has a lot to do with the health of their subtle systems and karma, and is also why many more people who have psychic experience disassociate, become delusional, sick or are menaced by negative entities... one needs to cultivate the maturity of health, clarity and capacity more completely within themselves in order to really be of and receive benefit from these dimensions of existence.

But in general when we are cultivating deeply and sincerely, the arising of any phenomena becomes part of a depth of understanding of self as an ontological process and is not a distraction. So when one is able to move from such place with humility and awareness, then presence leads to wisdom that actually allows for the most fulfilling of mystical knowledge.

Thus, the Consciousness of Immortals is not revealed until one has cultivated enough depth in self-Consciousness and character (de- virtue) as to be given such access and connection to divinity or the xian (the immortals). This is partly why if you read through posts of mine I talk about the importance of spiritual connection to golden seed which comes through the cultivation of shen (Consciousness). Form allows us to facilitate non-forms, until it itself can be dissolved into non-form, hence we must cultivate the yuan (original) within ourselves. And although all of this is indeed very deep and mystical, it must begin here: right within our capacity to be in and resolve our own hearts with the way we live and breath everyday.

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:17 PM, Small Fur said:

Your question surmises that the spiritual nexus of well-being within a person's life has its basis in money; this is a common perspective around topics of power, because many expressions of life so often seem to coalesce in forms of power and this in turn can provoke both fear and desire in people.

Thank you for taking the time in sharing a good comment. I haven't seen a person who doesn't depend on money except the hermits and still money or other artifacts to trade have been used in human societies. Although your well written response, I still don't understand the Daoist point of view about money and not sure if Daoists are not necessarily well off or surviving financially. On your reminder what is wei wu wei ? How that is effortless when wu is just the negation of an action?

1 hour ago, Mig said:

I still don't understand the Daoist point of view about money and not sure if Daoists are not necessarily well off or surviving financially.

Many of the high level teachers I’ve come across in Asia have been reasonably well off.

Some have even had being ‘financially secure’ as one of the conditions of accepting a student.

I’ve come across greedy types with advanced Qi skills too… a lot of that type of thing in the arts sadly.

However ones that have some spiritual development have been well off enough or at least in circumstances that mean they never have to worry about money.

Worrying about not having enough money, or craving more wealth will seriously affect ones spiritual cultivation. It’s possible to rise above such concerns but rarely if you’re destitute and don’t have enough.

I think the easy going vagrant sage archetype is pretty rare these days. The way that society works these days makes that sort of life non-conducive to inner work I guess

3 hours ago, Mig said:

I still don't understand the Daoist point of view about money and not sure if Daoists are not necessarily well off or surviving financially. On your reminder what is wei wu wei ? How that is effortless when wu is just the negation of an action?

According to one teacher, whatever is necessary for you to be on your path, will come to you, if you stop trying to "make things" happen (hence the wei wu wei) -- that doesn't mean we quit our job and wait for stuff to happen -- keep doing whatever we are able to, with the totality of our being. Though I must say I had done exactly that...quit my job without safety nets a few times in my life, but somehow, things always worked out -- especially after I stopped trying to force an outcome.

How I interpreted it is, we must learn to discern between "what we need" vs "what we want". And when we understand clearly what is needed, we must develop the wisdom to let go of what we "want" (unless it is also necessary). 

How much is enough? I feel it is as much as is needed to rise above the grind for survival.

One of the statements in the Daodejing, our grandmaster is quite fond of repeating -- "The five tastes dull the tongue, the colors dull the eyes, the five sounds dull the ear". What it implies is that we must not over-indulge in sensory gratification. The desire for five tastes, colors, sounds is a product of the mind, which clings to pleasure (sense gratification). The "wants" arise from this attachment of the mind.

That's why one might find a billionaire who's not satisfied with just one billion and keeps trying to amass more and more. Can you imagine the plight of such a poor person? Such people are poorer than the poorest beggar on the streets because that kind of poverty is more a  chronic state of "want" than "lack". If you give a beggar enough money, shelter, and food, they will opt not to be a beggar anymore. 

Abundance is not in acquiring a lot of wealth or material possessions (though that might happen as a result of our karmic accounting), but rather in the sense of contentment, one feels in their life. To appreciate what we have, and not be wistful about what we don't have, once our needs are met.  That is detachment -- to be able to navigate the various temptations that the world throws at us with that discernment between needs and wants is key for any genuine spiritual path.

On the other hand, every trial/tribulation we go through can also be a way to "teach" us that very discernment (needs vs wants), teach us contentment, teach us equanimity -- because otherwise, the suffering will be immense. 

My teacher was a gigging musician in his youth (which probably didn't pay much), and then he took up a nondescript job as a security guard in an inner city high school - quietly working on his spiritual practice, teaching students, and so on.

He's not rich, but he has everything he needs -- I'm yet to meet someone with a more balanced, non-attached nature than him. Everything he does is for the benefit of others. I've never seen him get angry, say anything mean about anyone, or be disrespectful towards anyone -- he radiates love and joy. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dwai said:

That's why one might find a billionaire who's not satisfied with just one billion and keeps trying to amass more and more. Can you imagine the plight of such a poor person? Such people are poorer than the poorest beggar on the streets because that kind of poverty is more a  chronic state of "want" than "lack". If you give a beggar enough money, shelter, and food, they will opt not to be a beggar anymore. 

There is nothing bad in money, but greed is another thing.

I've found that FPMT has many practices for helping with one's financial situation. There are numerous sutras and mantras and other practices that are said to be helpful. This is what I am currently doing as my financial situation isn't that great lately. 

The Buddha taught that money or the lack there of was due to karma, specifically the karma of generosity. 

Invest like a farmer. 

Know the land, the seed, the seasons.  Try to anticipate consumers wants and trends.

Grow some crops for their yield, others for future value. 

Grow with an eye to the future for what people will want to buy.

Karmic wise, live under your means.  Be thrifty yet generous when you can.  Invest steadily if possible.  Some long shots, but most in something diversified and safer, like the major indexes.  Try to create a safety fund, for hard times and unexpected expenses.  Understand the market that gives can also bite you hard. 

Keeping it simple is good.  50%- big Index funds (SPY,DIA,QQQ etc) 25%- high dividend stocks, 25%- individual stock with great expectations.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3