Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

The modern Western diet

Some quotes from The Tao of Healthy Eating:

1. The modern Western diet which we take so much for granted is mostly a product of post-World War II advances in technology  and transportation. Until after World War I I,  mass refrigeration and Interstate transportation did not allow for everyone to buy a half- gallon of fresh orange juice anytime of the year at an affordable price nor to  keep a half gallon of ice cream (or now frozen  yogurt) in their home freezer. In addition, special interest advertising has fostered erroneous ideas about the healthfulness of many off these " new" foods. We have been so bom­barded by TV commercials extolling the  healthful benefits of orange juice  that we seldom remember that these are partisan propaganda  bought and paid for by commercial growers who depend upon the sale of their product to turn a profit. 

2. The modern Western diet is a relatively recent aberration in the history of human diet...

3. These  several  food  pyramids highlight something which Chinese medicine has stressed for over a thousand  years - different  people with different  body types living in  different climates engaging in different lifestyles should eat different diets. No one-size- fits-all  diet is good for everyone. Nevertheless, what is clear is that the over­whelming majority of people  should not eat so many calories per day,  so much sugar and sweets, so many refined carbohydrates, or too much oil and fat. 

4.  No mat­ter what the disease, we must protect the spleen and stomach. This is the key to maintaining health and to treating disease.

I would also add that today's technology and increased consumerism has seen an increase of:

1. Populations eating while engaged in other tasks; namely mobile phone and computer use

2. Eating too fast

3. Eating on the go

4. Fast-food consumption

5. People losing the skill of cooking

And a decrease of:

1. Populations eating a variety of foods

2. Consumption of foods grown locally and harvested seasonally

3. Available time for eating during the weekly work schedule

4. The adoption of healthy habits after eating

Something to think about.

All the best! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes- post world war 2 innovation has fueled and changed our food habits.  It is basically driven by greed which is caused by capitalism.  Both of which are unhealthy from a holistic perspective.  The greatest threat to public health is un sustainable economic system, it's too bad that greed runs the world through fear based living.  And that people value the quantity of their lives more than the quality. 

On 7/10/2018 at 12:22 AM, Gerard said:

Some quotes from The Tao of Healthy Eating:

1. The modern Western diet which we take so much for granted is mostly a product of post-World War II advances in technology  and transportation. Until after World War I I,  mass refrigeration and Interstate transportation did not allow for everyone to buy a half- gallon of fresh orange juice anytime of the year at an affordable price nor to  keep a half gallon of ice cream (or now frozen  yogurt) in their home freezer. In addition, special interest advertising has fostered erroneous ideas about the healthfulness of many off these " new" foods. We have been so bom­barded by TV commercials extolling the  healthful benefits of orange juice  that we seldom remember that these are partisan propaganda  bought and paid for by commercial growers who depend upon the sale of their product to turn a profit. 

2. The modern Western diet is a relatively recent aberration in the history of human diet...

3. These  several  food  pyramids highlight something which Chinese medicine has stressed for over a thousand  years - different  people with different  body types living in  different climates engaging in different lifestyles should eat different diets. No one-size- fits-all  diet is good for everyone. Nevertheless, what is clear is that the over­whelming majority of people  should not eat so many calories per day,  so much sugar and sweets, so many refined carbohydrates, or too much oil and fat. 

4.  No mat­ter what the disease, we must protect the spleen and stomach. This is the key to maintaining health and to treating disease.

I would also add that today's technology and increased consumerism has seen an increase of:

1. Populations eating while engaged in other tasks; namely mobile phone and computer use

2. Eating too fast

3. Eating on the go

4. Fast-food consumption

5. People losing the skill of cooking

And a decrease of:

1. Populations eating a variety of foods

2. Consumption of foods grown locally and harvested seasonally

3. Available time for eating during the weekly work schedule

4. The adoption of healthy habits after eating

Something to think about.

All the best! :)

Hi Gerard 😎

Does the "Tao of healthy eating" have anything related to dietary changes specific to age?

Or do you have recommendations?

As a Vegan some supplements are highly recommended and I find them very beneficial- and at 64 I find other supplements very helpful as well - these have changed over the years.

Diet is of particular concern to those in practice as energy levels can increase dramatically and many of the foods of a typical western diet can have effects that run counter to practice on a very base and practice level.

I am somewhat reminded that in Qi Gong generally young children are not taught it because they already have piles of energy and a surge in their reserves at that point in their lives would not be helpful - diet in younger "seekers" in practice may consider diet to be somewhat superfluous in their focus but between stimulants, processed foods, poor combining, fast eating and testosterone - the effects can negate practically any headway.

Your thoughts and further elaborations would be helpful 🙏🏻

Hey, I'll get back to you in regards to the first paragraph. Need to browse through the book to see if it addresses your concern. However regardless of age and location your diet should adhere to these two basic principles:

1. The Spleen hates cold, hence eat cooked and warm food in most of your meals.

2. Eat slowly and mindfully, chewing food well.

3. Excessive processing of information affects negatively the Earth/digestive system; that it, too much thinking, taking information in, ie. TV, movies, Internet, commercials and worrying about things. Diet and a good digestion is intimately related to this. 

5. Enjoy, love what you eat ---> Heart comes into play here. It's better eating food in good company than alone but also better eating alone than in bad company. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

image.png.52804668f9074155962428fb80773b11.png

image.png.9d698a1d1cc4bd453d062888145ede7a.png

image.png.a2ae798ad468548352aacdb66221a83b.png

Spartan and a rigurous life. This is probably the most important aspect of the whole paragraph.

Also, inactive people become fat and unhealthy. This is a real fact. Sitting in meditation the whole day is not the way either. Maybe 2,500 years ago but not in our modern world. Move, move a lot in fact, eat healthy cooked warm meals. 

In your particular case, as a 62-year old, here are some recipes:

Proven recipes for promoting senior's health

I would urge you purchasing this excellent book:

Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (Paul Pitchford)

Inexpensive bearing in mind the quality of the content.

Hope this is all helpful. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this