Sign in to follow this  
Mig

Are people stupid, disrespectful or careless

It's been some time, I cycle around town and by bike path next to the ocean in sunny SOCAL. One thing I have noticed that people in general, I mean the majority of people, don't pay attention crossing the bike path, it seems they don't care if there is bike traffic. It doesn't matter if they are kids, young adults, adults. Older people, I understand why they don't pay attention. So each time, it makes me think, why they don't care or why don't they learn basic rules of respect. So are people stupid, disrespectful or careless?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think we shouldn't put those labels on them.  Self-absorbed?  Yes.

Those are the people who have most of the "accidents".

I find this to be very common no matter where one goes on the planet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I think we shouldn't put those labels on them.  Self-absorbed?  Yes.

Those are the people who have most of the "accidents".

I find this to be very common no matter where one goes on the planet.

I don't know about labels and I know you can find them all over. You may think some kind of education or basic respect will help. I can see how some people in poor countries behave that way and mostly is because they were not educated to respect other or themselves. I am pretty those people I see, they pay attention when they cross the street. And also I remember people in a busy side walk on their phones, they forget people are around and in that case yes, I will agree they are self absorbed.

• Like 1

If you know about research and statistics, you recognize the bell curve...

bellcurve.jpg

"Average intelligence" is exactly in the center. To the right is above average, and to the left is below average intelligence.

If you think of yourself as "average intelligence", and if you truly are, then ~50% of the population can seem stupid to you, because they're actually lower intelligence than you.

Severely low intelligence is more rare than just being slightly dumb...the majority of lower intelligence people are only a little dim. Dim enough to walk in front of a cyclist without looking.

Of course, this all seems even worse when you're actually above average intelligence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My own view is that in any given group or population of humans the following holds true.

80% Idiots

10% Assholes

10% more or less alright.

There are those who argue that this is a rather negative outlook but I believe that it is correct.

• Like 2

I find people are deeply disconnected, not outrightly rude or dumb.  It does seem to be something of an epidemic.  I can't tell if it's greater now than it used to be, because I don't trust my own recall of such matters in my deep past.

But I clearly observe the disconnection of people to their immediate surroundings these days.  And we bike those same exact paths down @ redondo... I'm sure we've passed each other a few times at the beach without even knowing it.  :P

I don't think it's personal, or planned and it doesn't seem due to their being mean, lazy, or dumb.  People simply seem disconnected in an almost trance like separation of awareness and presence from their immediate surroundings often.  I used to get upset at it... now I'm just grateful that I recognize it as it seems to indicate that I may at least be present and aware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They have enough awareness and inteliggence to be considerent. Why don't they do it? A bunch of wankers who skipped army when they turned 20!!!! that's why !!!

seriously, careless fools. None of them are ready for a fight but always act like they're the world champion - - know your place...I believe is synonimous with the occult adoe of 'silence'. Don't leak your presence all with jerks of being.

Edited by Arramu

Generalising here, but I also find people often seem caught up in their own minds. Their attention not on what they're doing, but on what they're thinking about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wstein said:

Most people are generally unaware.

Not sure about that. I noticed people get killed in a bus station or by the corner standing near the curb and get hit by a car. I have seen that time after time in three different continents and all I can think is lack of awareness. It seems we take for granted  and lost that skill of self awareness.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:53 AM, Chang said:

My own view is that in any given group or population of humans the following holds true.

80% Idiots

10% Assholes

There are those who argue that this is a rather negative outlook but I believe that it is correct.

Why 80% and not 90%, I feel I have a huge percentage of idiot and more and less of an asshole and more and less okay

7 hours ago, cosmic4z said:

Generalising here, but I also find people often seem caught up in their own minds. Their attention not on what they're doing, but on what they're thinking about.

Do you really they are thinking about something? What could they think about? I wonder

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:53 AM, silent thunder said:

I find people are deeply disconnected, not outrightly rude or dumb.  It does seem to be something of an epidemic.  I can't tell if it's greater now than it used to be, because I don't trust my own recall of such matters in my deep past.

But I clearly observe the disconnection of people to their immediate surroundings these days.  And we bike those same exact paths down @ redondo... I'm sure we've passed each other a few times at the beach without even knowing it.  :P

I don't think it's personal, or planned and it doesn't seem due to their being mean, lazy, or dumb.  People simply seem disconnected in an almost trance like separation of awareness and presence from their immediate surroundings often.  I used to get upset at it... now I'm just grateful that I recognize it as it seems to indicate that I may at least be present and aware.

I am glad you know what I am talking about it. Not sure about disconnected, it seems to me that they feel empowered. I remember someone saying that humans driving a car is a dangerous machine because they feel empowered and think they own the world then when they go to the beach is like they own the beach.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2018 at 5:53 PM, Chang said:

80% Idiots

10% Assholes

2 hours ago, Mig said:

Why 80% and not 90%, I feel I have a huge percentage of idiot and more and less of an asshole and more and less okay

Whilst the figures are arbitrary I find that they appear to describe the human condition pretty well. We must also remember that this is descriptive of the general character of individuals. We may well find ourselves having similar beliefs and views as the assholes whilst we are at odds with the views and opinions of the more or less alright. Consistancy lies with the idiots.

5 hours ago, Mig said:

But remember, you can't have more than 100%.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:56 AM, Mig said:

It's been some time, I cycle around town and by bike path next to the ocean in sunny SOCAL. One thing I have noticed that people in general, I mean the majority of people, don't pay attention crossing the bike path, it seems they don't care if there is bike traffic. It doesn't matter if they are kids, young adults, adults. Older people, I understand why they don't pay attention. So each time, it makes me think, why they don't care or why don't they learn basic rules of respect. So are people stupid, disrespectful or careless?

Just because , the path is there doesn't mean one must use it. The path provides a justification for being willing to threaten the welfare of pedestrians. A bicyclist moving at speed is taking up far more space than a meandering pedestrian, he is claiming a large amount of space before he even gets to it. Ride the bike where its not a threat to the people around you, drop the self righteous judgement that one has the right to the path , and be alright with the oblivious self-absorption they show, and ,  which you probably manifest yourself , like say ,, when riding your bike ,,,,  simple as that. 

Buying into the idea that you are justified and so everyone else is wrong , puts you at odds with the greater portion of humanity, you make yourself unsatisfied with the rest of us , since we do not fit your expectations ,

and Why? because some schmuck decided that bicycle paths should intersect with places where pedestrians are. 

To be safe and in control , the cyclist needs to get off the bike , and walk with it , to the point where there are no pedestrians , before remounting.

But what you have are helmeted cyclists who wish to hurtle carelessly out of control , at twenty miles an hour , round and round in circles. 

Get out of my way ! Get out of my way , you silly cows! cant you see I am listening to the radio while riding here!

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Some places have had to create laws forbidding bicycles to be ridden on pedestrian walkways.  Sad that we need governments to enforce common sense.

• Like 2

When I am driving my car and some poor fool cyclist is on the road, I am the one who must give way.

When a cyclist is riding his bike and some poor fool pedestrian is on the path, the cyclist must give way.

When a pedestrian is walking along and some poor fool homeless man is sleeping on the sidewalk, the pedestrian must give way.

When a homeless man is sleeping on the sidewalk and some poor fool ....

My analogy is breaking down. You get the point.

• Like 4

On 7/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, Aetherous said:

bellcurve.jpg

Of course, this all seems even worse when you're actually above average intelligence.

I'm at 145  :D so you can imagine my concern over the human race; and so I used to sympathize with those that feel like they're surrounded by idiots, but not any more.  Most have some wisdom and something to teach ... if you can find it.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2018 at 6:56 AM, Mig said:

We learn them as kids, and we discard them as adults.

The world tells each and every one of us that we can conquer, reach the summit of whatever ladder we're climbing. It's all about "me", but it's ok if we wear suits and smile at each other across from desks, or have children which are so much better than everybody elses.

I'm in it as well when under pressure, life is life and bills need to get paid. But I try hard not to be a dick as much as possible. Being organised and not taking too much on helps...an art that really is lost, especially in the city.

Any intelligent person should understand that the IQ graph is a bogus representation of a undefined qualitative state, For instance, I don't even fit on it. But since folks are susceptible to flattery , ,,,

they who are told a big number , will ignore all the problems with IQ tests , all the inaccuracies, and all the unfair assumptions ....... which proves !!! , that high IQ does  not! in fact ,  test for correct conclusions or responsible consideration ! ., 

it tests for the speed at which one will jump to flattering conclusions about themselves ,and throw away rational and cautionary considerations. 

• Haha 2

There`s something very useful to be gained from this observation that motorists often cross through bike lanes seemingly unaware of bike traffic, and it has nothing to do with whether or not said motorists are stupid or not.

The takeaway for me is that bicyclists should be extra aware and extra careful so as to avoid getting hurt.  This isn`t fair, I know.  In a better world, drivers would be smarter, nicer, more careful.  Unfortunately, there`s not a whole lot a single bicyclist can do to change the motoring world.  It falls on bicyclists to protect themselves by wearing easily seen clothing and not making assumptions that cars are going to follow the law.

I`m sure you already do this, Mig, so my comment isn`t meant for you personally.  Just something I thought could use saying.

Sign in to follow this