SisterofOrion

meat eater to vegetarian

What is the best way to transition into being one?  I tried to go vegan which I know is different...I was so hungry..What foods will make you feel full and keep you from feeling hungry?  Where is a good place to get recipes?  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SisterofOrion said:

What is the best way to transition into being one?  I tried to go vegan which I know is different...I was so hungry..What foods will make you feel full and keep you from feeling hungry?  Where is a good place to get recipes?  Thank you.

I think a good way to transition is to do it little by little.  Doing it gradually helps to change your taste preferences so that you end up liking non animal foods more and more.  The best way to keep from getting hungry is to eat high fat foods, like for example nuts, peanuts, avocados, and add plenty of oil to what you cook, like olive oil or coconut oil.  Oils take the longest to digest and so make you feel full longer.  When I first tried going vegan I overdid it and tried eating way too many greens, and ended up hurting my health.  When you are vegan you have to watch out for goitrogenic foods, which can give you serious thyroid problems.

I aint no saint.  Here at the house we are mostly vegan but I put some milk in my coffee, and when we go into town we get some chicken crepes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nearly any kind of bean will fill you up and give you lots of protein in the process.

Yes, make the transition slowly.  First, eliminate red meats.  Then all mammal meats.  Then all animal meats.  Some say that eggs and dairy products are okay even after giving up all other animal products.  And yes, nuts and berries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went vegetarian about twenty years ago. I only lasted on year. After months without meat my strength had decreased, but since it was gradual I did not notice it right away. 

I broke my fast with a filet mignon - still the best steak I ever had to this day!

If you are not going vegetarian for moral or religious reasons then you may want to build up to it gradually. For example, start with eating meat only one day a week, then only one day a month, etc. It's important to find your balance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you go vegetarian and especially vegan - add B complex to your intake. It is one reason some loose energy and vegans and vegetarians are notoriously low in B vitamins. Get a complex that does not include Vitamin C.

Once in a Jeopardy TV question it was asked : What Vitamin should you not take with other vitamins? The answer: Vitamin C - because it tends to wash the other vitamins through the system rather than being assimilated.

Read up on being vegan or vegetarian - know what you are doing and you will understand how to better approach this with excellent and healthy results.

It takes about a year or two to fully get in the swing of Vegan - once you do it changes a great deal - many things you thought you would miss become somewhat gross and oily with repugnant smells. Many senses increase somewhat dramatically - definitely taste and smell. The overall sense of lighter - cleaner - more in touch with ones body being - is a great feeling.

I takes at least a year to really find out what's really out there n the Vegan world and to explore it. I have probably eaten a thousand cows bloody rare and loved it - but I don't miss them at all. Vegan is not a "stop eating the things you love" diet - it is another world of increased sensual experience with a far cleaner palate and much higher cleaner energy sources - higher and cleaner in that the foods are less laden with truncated emotions and confused energies - the vibration of plants are generally much simpler, clear and vibrant. They have far less karmic propensity than animal based foods do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Spotless said:

higher and cleaner in that the foods are less laden with truncated emotions and confused energies - the vibration of plants are generally much simpler, clear and vibrant.

This would be an excellent conversation topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow thanks for all the responses. Hmm.does sound better to try and taper off the meats and animal products little by little. I'm wanting to do it to become healthier. I've changed 90% of my diet to all organic lately. So, I guess there's a start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I grew up eating meat in a very meat eating heavy environment. I went vegetarian nearly 10 years ago and managed to stick with it, primarily out of compassion for animals, secondarily for environmental reasons, thirdly for nutrition and cost. I would say spiritual reasons as well but I think that is encompassed in all three of those. My last meat meal was lobster at a family dinner. After I ate it I saw the live lobster in my mind's eye and it kind of shook me, as I had already contemplated making the switch for a while.

I didn't make the switch gradually, I did it all cold turkey. It took me a while longer to find the balance of nutrition I needed though. What I can suggest is that having strong overriding reasons/principles can help stick with it. It didn't take long for me to not have any cravings for meat.

The thing is though I am vegetarian and not vegan, I still have dairy regularly. I don't think I would go without dairy because for one my ancestry is heavy on dairy consumption so it's natural in my genes and two and more importantly it fits in my diet to complement physical routines, strength training, etc. and gives me the calcium I need.

So yeah, principles and nutrition are key from my experience as well as observing others in similar situations.

• Like 1

Better eating a variety of foods than limiting the diet to a vegan one. Also eggs are very damp forming. One reason I will never advocate for veganism. Also:

When a person continually eats one type of food, it creates an imbalance in their body, and affects their immune system. Thus, one of the keys in Chinese medicine is to keep our body "neutral."

There's a saying in Chinese: "The five grains provide nourishment. The five vegetables provide filling. The five domestic animals provide enrichment. The five fruits provide support." It means a balanced diet, where foods are consumed in appropriate combinations according to their natures and flavors, serves to supplement the essence that human body needs.

Healthy eating in traditional Chinese medicine

Simple cooked grains, cooked seasonal vegetables with a small amount of meat and spices for enjoyment will generally keep you out of trouble.

Cooked vs Raw Foods – TCM Perspective

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think that a vegetarian diet should include a large number of different foods, and  ont more - to eat a lot -  this is the key,  because most vegetables and greens it is the light food and it is  difficult to get full with it.

As i think the most satisfying foods are rice, beans,  various cereals, mushrooms, and do not forget to eat soups!

Edited by Pavel Karavaev

As energies become more subtle - the diet will naturally follow.

Each system has its variants and innate proclivities. 

Personal identifications with food are perhaps the the last thing to fall away - but they will to a considerable extent give way to an entire transformation - (or not).

In some areas we are far more stubborn and tenacious than we inagine ourselves to be.

Food is like a religion we firmly believe in but do not regard as religion.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 1

I do eat meat but not very often. I rarely eat red meat as it seems to be the heaviest and most difficult to digest. My main source of meats are probably chicken and fish. Just for the record I do eat eggs, cheese milk etc.  

I figure once you've weened yourself off eating meat everyday you'll notice the difference when you do eat meat. As said I do eat meant say once a week sometimes once every two weeks but I only eat it if I feel the need. That's the key, try and listen to what you body needs and eat accordingly. Yes occasionally I eat beef, red meat, but only when I'm really wired and need a major slow down to calm my inner animal. It may be in years to come I stop eating meat completely as the desire/need is -pretty low as it is. 

Anyway, good luck and there's nothing wrong with just eating less meat so no pressure. 

• Like 1

In a natural world, if one decides to go vegan I've always wondered where you are gong to get the proper B vitamins missing from your diet. Hand me the rib eye please!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Robert said:

In a natural world, if one decides to go vegan I've always wondered where you are gong to get the proper B vitamins missing from your diet. Hand me the rib eye please!

B12 in nature is produced by bacteria. Cows get it from eating dirt and feces, tigers get it from cows. It is probably also present in water as the bacteria is probably there too so also water, however now we have sterile water (thanks to which we also don't die of nasty diseases). So if you are in a nature yes its either shit and dirt or meat. However, we are no longer in nature are we?

• Like 2

I never understood forcing one's body to something it did not first move in a direction of...  what is your blood type and what foods are most compatible with that ?

But, I think it is good to drop certain fatty foods to get your body to reset to what it should have or need... so I guess I just made an exception to my first point.  

Recently, my blood pressure shot up due to a reaction to something... and that caused me to research blood pressure foods.. and I was surprised to find beets were something I instantly loved...  Pissing red was a bit strange though :P

I love meat, as a Blood type O... but I have naturally slowed down that for seafood instead.  Eggs are my main stay.  If I don't eat eggs in the morning, I feel less then empowered... so sometimes I'll eat them later in the day if I skipped them.   So I recognize, my body likes protein or has been conditioned for that... who knows... but it seems to smile more when I eat some. 

I was vegetarian for many years. It worked fine once you got used to not associating fullness with the load on your digestive system. I stopped being vegetarian since being a meat eater is much more convenient, you can get the same health benefits by eating less meat. Maintaining ideal weight was easier as a vegetarian though.