Sign in to follow this  
Yinja

Is there unnecessary suffering?

Is there suffering which are unnecessary? I strognly believe there is and my life experience definitely suggests so, but 

when i think about it i cant seem to find suffering that dosnt contain within them thier duality of feeling good. 

Lets take a more obvious example: worrying, and even better worrying about being worry. 

This clearly generates some unnecessary suffering but dosnt this greater pain hides within itself joy like any other pain/suffering? and in this case greater joy because of greater suffering. 

My question than is: How can you possibly increase the amount of "positive" feelings in your life without increasing suffering aswell? or in other words whats the point in not worrying so much? 

Clearly im missing something and i dont think there is no difference if you worry or not :)

(Dont get hung up on the worrying its just an example for suffering in general) 

And to the question yes there is a way. Compassion and good deeds and living without getting into aversion/clinging.

40 minutes ago, Yinja said:

Clearly im missing something and i dont think there is no difference if you worry or not 

(Dont get hung up on the worrying its just an example for suffering in general) 

Hi Yinja,

I don't think you are missing something. You have depth in the posting of your thread.

To me everything (positive or negative) happens for a reason.

The reason is neither good or bad - so a happenstance is neither thus.

Suffering (worrying...) is not positive/negative, good/bad... because:

it-is-through-suffering-that-learning-comes-quote-1.jpg

without-pain-there-would-be-no-suffering-without-suffering-we-would-never-learn-from-our-mistkes-suffering-quote.png

- LimA

11 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Is there a necessary suffering?

10 minutes ago, Miroku said:

And to the question yes there is a way.

Hi Miroku,

The Four Noble Truths?

4aeba67d8c5b00c586cd41fc08a96222.png

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Miroku,

The Four Noble Truths?

Yes, what about them? :D 

6 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

The impact of it, is so great, it's foundational shifting.

Hi Creighton,

I know where you are coming.

With the passing of my mother, I went into depression.

However I came out of it - a better person,

- Anand

20 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Yes, what about them? :D (1)

Hi Miroku,

:D

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

It sounds berry subjective. The way I see it, is that we create our own sufferings and we are constantly destroying ourselves with foods and drinks not to mention with our minds. Also, our selfish motivation in doing what we do. The suffering is us.

27 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Yes, what about them?  (2)

Hi Miroku,

The Noble Eightfold Path -

8foldpath.jpg

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

45 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

The one is reconciled as a clear, still point... the pivot of joyful clarity, about which all motion and notions of other, revolve and reconcile in the shining clear awareness of simple, connected being.

Hi Creighton,

I recognize the above in you through your postings.

Proud to call you friend.

friendship-is-a-rainbow-between-two-hearts.png

- Anand

Edited by Limahong

49 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Yes... :D

Hi Miroku,

What about the Noble Eightfold Path? :D

- LimA

1 hour ago, Yinja said:

How can you possibly increase the amount of "positive" feelings in your life without increasing suffering aswell?

Hi Yinja,

So how?

-LimA

3 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Miroku,

What about the Noble Eightfold Path? :D

- LimA

Heh, confusing. :D But why not.

Here is my case. I am not sure whether suffering can be necessary or unnecessary. What makes it necessary is out attitude. It is our own perception of it what makes it necessary. If we have learned something from suffering then it was a good suffering. :D But in general don't know really. That is why the question.

Noble eightfold path is in its essence a bodhicitta and doing good. That was my advice. Good life is possible. Exaustion of suffering is possible. So this is my stance.

So what about 4 noble truths and 8fold path? Follow it and you can't go wrong. 

Did I go wrong with them? :D

5 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Did I go wrong with them?

Hi Miroku,

We learn together in Life - lifelong.

th?id=OIP.f8puhHk8_IVbfEZWXF7cRwHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

16 minutes ago, Miroku said:

So what about 4 noble truths and 8fold path? Follow it and you can't go wrong. 

Hi Miroku,

We still can't go wrong sometimes -

... but we mindfully right the wrong

... and we peacefully move on & on

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

2 hours ago, Miroku said:

Is there a necessary suffering?

That one seems easy to me.  Yes.  In learning and growing some unpleasantness is involved.  In stretching ones limits, growing stronger.. putting yourself out there, making new friends, going new places.. can be necessary suffering.  Fulfilling ones responsibilities can be suffering. 

Course resisting such things probably makes them feel worse. 

I'd also say yes to unnecessary suffering.  Seems to be too much of it the world.  No lessons learned, no betterment, bettered.  Just alot of pain, often caused by ignorance, greed and plain bad luck. 

3 hours ago, thelerner said:

I'd also say yes to unnecessary suffering.  Seems to be too much of it the world.

Hi thelerner,

Do we get (un)necessary suffering from/with FAKEs?

Big picture - the world.

Small picture - TDB.

Fake teaching and fake learning can/have rub shoulders?

417712.png

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

5 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Mig,

The learning is us too.

- LimA

Chapter 40

反者道之動,The returning is the movement of the Tao

弱者道之用。The weak is the utilization of the Tao

天下萬物生於有,The myriad things of the world are born of being

有生於無。Being is born of non-being

Derek Lin translation

I see unnecessary suffering all the time .   I have even pointed out  alternative paths of action that reaps the original intentions and eliminates the suffering - that is, a different approach to something that goes around the obvious disaster coming, if someone is following a certain path of action .

But for some ... nope , they want the  unnecessary suffering  ... I guess they think it is 'necessary suffering' ?  But they sure bitch about it when the inevitable suffering  manifests from their approach .

• Like 1

Yeah, the people I hear complaining about how much they suffer are mostly those who would rather suffer so they can tell others all about their problems and they really don't want to do anything to reduce the suffering because then the wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

Sure, there are many who live in conditions that offer them nothing but suffering.  That's been going on for a very long time and I don't see an end of it any time soon.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Sure, there are many who live in conditions that offer them nothing but suffering.  That's been going on for a very long time and I don't see an end of it any time soon.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, the people I hear complaining about how much they suffer are mostly those who would rather suffer so they can tell others all about their problems and they really don't want to do anything to reduce the suffering because then the wouldn't have anything to bitch about.

I was driving to work one morning, turned on the radio to catch the news and see what the world was up to .  The woman announcer was whining on and complaining and being all emotive  to her radio partner that the 'dwell control' on her car window wipers didnt have enough settings to accurately adjust to the amount of rain hitting her wind shield ....  to clear it to her satisfaction  ..... and when she turned it up a notch, it was 'over wiping'  .....     :huh:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this