Phoenix3

Did any Daoist ever label significant parts of the body with hexagrams?

So jade pillow is hexagram ...

The yellow court is hexagram ...

The navel is hexagram ...

etc

thank you! 

Edit: wondering if @Taoist Texts would know?

Edited by Phoenix3

Thanks a lot, but I wonder why BaiHui isn’t hexagram 1, instead of Wind mansion (feng fu)? So that diagram is quite confusing.

edit: also, shouldn’t the home of Li (fire) be in the head? The heart (also known as anahata chakra) is considered the merging of fire and water, masculine and feminine.

Edited by Phoenix3

22 minutes ago, Phoenix3 said:

Thanks a lot, but I wonder why BaiHui isn’t hexagram 1, instead of Wind mansion (feng fu)? So that diagram is quite confusing.

edit: also, shouldn’t the home of Li (fire) be in the head? The heart (also known as anahata chakra) is considered the merging of fire and water, masculine and feminine.

The heart is the source of the Fire - the Shen that is powered by the Liver - and so goes out the eyes when they are open. The alchemical secret is to reverse this - so that the Shen is directed down via the yin qi reversed. This is why the upper body is yang externally but internally it is yin as the Female - or the Female mysterious pass. So the yin qi is the female power of the yang upper body.

As we inhale, yang begins to grow rising from kidneys and the perineum, and moving up the Du vessel until yang peaks just before reaching the top of the head. Then yin returns and begins to grow at Bai Hui.

https://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/daoist-meditation-lesson-eight-theory-golden-fluid-the-micro-cosmic-orbit/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, voidisyinyang said:

As we inhale, yang begins to grow rising from kidneys and the perineum, and moving up the Du vessel until yang peaks just before reaching the top of the head. Then yin returns and begins to grow at Bai Hui.

So the yang qi is made in the kidneys, which is sent to the perineum or prostate (which you said occurs during lust), but unlike in the situation of lust, it leaves the perineum and enters the spine, I assume via the sacral plexus. And from there, I assume it is dissolved into the cerebralspinal fluid. Do you know what carries this qi? It can’t be lecithin, as I’m sure that only carries yin qi, not yang qi.

Also, you said before that the Indians (and Daoists too I think) put their hair in a knot on their head at the point where the energy of heaven enters through the head. This point, therefore, is the wind mansion, yes? If so, I don’t understand the significance of the BaiHui at all, as I always thought that was where the zhong mai begins, and the energy from heaven enters the head.

5 minutes ago, Phoenix3 said:

So the yang qi is made in the kidneys, which is sent to the perineum or prostate (which you said occurs during lust), but unlike in the situation of lust, it leaves the perineum and enters the spine, I assume via the sacral plexus. And from there, I assume it is dissolved into the cerebralspinal fluid. Do you know what carries this qi? It can’t be lecithin, as I’m sure that only carries yin qi, not yang qi.

The yin qi is "mercury" from the heart - originating from the liver - so it is "without substance" - as the yin qi goes out of the eyes while the eyes are open. So science has shown we use 2/3rd of our brain power for our eyes when they are open - so we constantly lose this yin qi via biophotons or shen going out of the eyes via the pineal gland.

The yang qi is 'with substance" as black lead or the white tiger - and so it is governed by the lungs - the deep reverse breathing activates the yang qi - so yes it is the lecithin of the cerebrospinal fluid.

The pineal gland creates cerebrospinal fluid from the blood - so the food normally turns into lecithin but through the reverse breathing - the yin qi of the food is extracted and added to the yang qi of the lecithin as increased cerebrospinal fluid which then flows out of the sinus cavity - after the pineal gland charges it up with more yang qi. The heart then purifies this qi - by the shen of no shen - the Emptiness of the lower tan t'ien with the shen turned around to CREATE the yang qi....

So the lower tan t'ien doesn't exist until it's created.... so with the third eye.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phoenix3 said:

Also, you said before that the Indians (and Daoists too I think) put their hair in a knot on their head at the point where the energy of heaven enters through the head. This point, therefore, is the wind mansion, yes? If so, I don’t understand the significance of the BaiHui at all, as I always thought that was where the zhong mai begins, and the energy from heaven enters the head.

tumblr_inline_oovbkoDicw1tuek78_540.jpg

So as the Yuan Qi builds up - the top center of the skull opens up the fontanelle again and pulsates with qi and the bones get soft - and the spirit for astral travel actually travels out of the top of the skull. And also at this stage - of immortal breathing - then it is some kind of reverse electrolysis - so the pineal gland actually CREATES water from the Yuan Qi - by binding together hydrogen and oxygen - and this then flows down from the pineal gland, and down the throat....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

The pineal gland creates cerebrospinal fluid from the blood - so the food normally turns into lecithin but through the reverse breathing - the yin qi of the food is extracted and added to the yang qi of the lecithin as increased cerebrospinal fluid which then flows out of the sinus cavity - after the pineal gland charges it up with more yang qi. The heart then purifies this qi - by the shen of no shen - the Emptiness of the lower tan t'ien with the shen turned around to CREATE the yang qi....

So, to clarify, the yin qi usually goes out of the eyes, but meditation turns back this yin qi from heading out of the eyes, and causes it to travel down the vagus nerve, where it passes to the heart.

When it meets with the heart, it mixes with shen to create yang qi. This is the creation of yang qi. The yang qi then passes to the lower dantian, where the yang qi develops it. Am I understanding you correctly?

Also, do you have a source which mentions that the cerebrospinal fluid contains lecithin? I couldn’t find any source anywhere. Most say that the cerebrospinal fluid is 99% water, with a few enzymes and a small amount of glucose.

Edited by Phoenix3

1 hour ago, Phoenix3 said:

So, to clarify, the yin qi usually goes out of the eyes, but meditation turns back this yin qi from heading out of the eyes, and causes it to travel down the vagus nerve, where it passes to the heart.

When it meets with the heart, it mixes with shen to create yang qi. This is the creation of yang qi. The yang qi then passes to the lower dantian, where the yang qi develops it. Am I understanding you correctly?

Also, do you have a source which mentions that the cerebrospinal fluid contains lecithin? I couldn’t find any source anywhere. Most say that the cerebrospinal fluid is 99% water, with a few enzymes and a small amount of glucose.

In Daoist meditation the trigram Kan represents the Kidneys and Dantian. Kan is full in the middle (it has a solid yang line in the middle). The yang line in the center indicates that there is a true yang-fire within yin-water. Li [fire] represents the heart and chest. Li is empty in the middle. This symbolizes the hidden true yin-water within yang-fire. Normally, fire is light and rises to the chest and water is heavy and sinks to Dantian. This is the post-heaven state whose trigram configuration moves temporally from birth to death. However if fire is brought beneath water, they mutually restrain each other and interact. This creates steam and condensation which is a rarefied energy. Then the middle lines of the trigrams switch places and the Qian trigram and Kun trigrams (Hexagram 11: Tai) are formed creating the original pre-heaven state, which in Daoist beliefs leads to stopping of the temporal movement and therefore “immortality”.... If the body and form are uneasy and the heart-mind moves, then the spirit will not enter the qi and the body’s qi will be consumed and dispersed. Then one’s nature will be confused and will lack understanding. Therefore it is said that the body’s spirit must not exit.   General Discussion of the Medicine Collecting Method. 

excerpted from The True Transmission of Ba Gua Zhang 八卦拳真传 Ba Gua Zhang Zhen Chuan by Sun Xi Kun 孙锡 堃

https://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/sun-xi-kun-daoism-part-iv-general-discussion-medicine-collecting-method-2/

heart (the house of fire) by driving his mind into the field of concentration so as to still and disengage it from sense data....the element of fire in spirit goes down to scorch the element of water in the lower abdomen which will be transformed into steam that will soar up linking the heart and lower abdomen. When he wakes up and opens his eyes, spirit returns to his organ of sight thereby disengaging the heart from the lower abdomen which will not reunite even if he starves for a week. ...Lowering the fire (to cause the negative fire to retreat so that the positive yang develops fully...

https://archive.org/stream/TaoistYogaAlchemyAndImmortalityLuKuanYCharlesLuk/Taoist Yoga Alchemy and Immortality Lu K’uan Yü (Charles Luk)_djvu.txt

So the yang qi - the "postive yang" is developed through the lower tan t'ien - the gut -

The Cerebrospinal Fluid - Page 176 - Google Books Result

Robert M. Herndon, ‎Roger A. Brumback - 2012 - ‎Medical
Lecithin, cholesterol acyl transferase activity in human cerebrospinal fluid. ... Degradation of myelin basic protein by protease in cerebrospinal fluid and effects of ...

Biochim Biophys Acta. 1970 Dec 16;220(3):610-3.

Lecithin: cholesterol acyl transferase activity in human cerebrospinal fluid.

Lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase in human cerebrospinal fluid: reduced level in patients with multiple sclerosis and evidence of direct synthesis in the brain

JJ Albers, SM Marcovnia, RH Christenson - International Journal of …, 1992 - Springer
Several studies suggest that apolipoproteins and the low-density lipoprotein receptor are
implicated in lipid transport in the brain. Given that cerebrospinal fluid has been reported to
contain cholesteryl esterifying enzyme, and that lipid metabolism in the brain is abnormal in …

Lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase was detected in the cerebrospinal fluid of all control subjects, being 0.12±0.06 μg/ml (mean±SD) or about 2.2% of that in serum (5.4±1.4 μg/ml). The cerebrospinal fluid lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase index was 5.2±2.5, very similar to the cerebrospinal fluid index of apolipoprotein E, a protein known to be synthesized in the brain. Since lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase mRNA is also expressed in the brain, we can conclude that the protein is synthesized and secreted in the brain. The cerebrospinal fluid concentration of lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase in the subjects with active demyelinating disease or multiple sclerosis was only about one-half of that found in control subjects (0.06±0.02 μg/ml).

The levels of circulating lecithin (phosphatidyl-choline) were depressed in a similar fashion to the levels of CRH in CSF [CerebroSpinal Fluid] in the SDAT patients and the group of severe dementia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8394971

Oxidative changes in cerebral spinal fluid phosphatidylcholine during ...

by P Miketova - ‎2005 - ‎Cited by 57 - ‎Related articles
Biol Res Nurs. 2005 Jan;6(3):187-95. Oxidative changes in cerebral spinal fluid phosphatidylcholine during treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
by C Mulder - ‎2003 - ‎Cited by 91 - ‎Related articles
Choline containing phospholipids are essential for the integrity of the'cell'membrane. ... We hypothesize that oxidation may lead to changed concentrations of choline containing phospholipids in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of AD patients, because of the susceptibility of the unsaturated acyl-chains of PC for oxidation.

Lipidomics Reveals Cerebrospinal-Fluid Signatures of ALS | Scientific ...

https://www.nature.com › scientific reports › articles
by H Blasco - ‎2017 - ‎Cited by 3 - ‎Related articles

Dec 15, 2017 - Phosphatidylcholine AKA LECITHIN PC(36:4), higher in ALS patients (p = 0.0003) was ... applied to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), it offers new perspectives in the ...

Edited by voidisyinyang
  • Thanks 1

I think that they weren’t talking about lecithin itself though, but an enzyme called ‘lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase’.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix3 said:

I think that they weren’t talking about lecithin itself though, but an enzyme called ‘lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase’.

I will have to type out the pdf since this website no longer allows me to copy the image of the pdf...

The CSF has cholesterol ester synthesizing activity even though it has a lower lecithin amount than blood serum - the cerebrospinal fluid is able to access more lecithin in the brain.

That's from 1970 research. Now look at the current research.

Phosphatidylcholine AKA LECITHIN

The levels of circulating lecithin (phosphatidyl-choline) were depressed in a similar fashion to the levels of CRH in CSF [CerebroSpinal Fluid] in the SDAT patients and the group of severe dementia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8394971

by P Miketova - ‎2005 - ‎Cited by 57 - ‎Related articles

Biol Res Nurs. 2005 Jan;6(3):187-95. Oxidative changes in cerebral spinal fluid phosphatidylcholine [lecithin] during treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

We hypothesize that oxidation may lead to changed concentrations of choline containing phospholipids [lecithin] in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of AD patients,
  • Thanks 1

When the hamsters were maintained in a short photoperiod (LD 8:16), the CSF-contacting area of the pineal recess was significantly larger in those hamsters killed 2 hours before lights off compared to those killed 2 hours before lights on (P less than 0.01). There were no significant differences in the CSF-contacting area when comparing two groups of hamsters maintained in a long photoperiod (LD 14:10, killed 2 hours before lights on and lights off, respectively). There was statistically significant interaction (P less than 0.05) between the lighting cycle and the time of day of death on the appearance of CSF-contacting pinealocytes. The hamsters maintained in LD 8:16 had significantly reduced testicular weights when compared to those maintained in LD 14:10. The plasticity of the central zone and the associated CSF-contacting pinealocytes of the pineal recess of the hamster are evidence that this region demonstrates morphological changes that are dependent upon the physiological state of the animal.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2600761

9 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

Edit: wondering if @Taoist Texts would know?

Trigram figure Possible binary value Name Translation: Wilhelm[6] Image in nature (pp.l-li) Direction (p. 269) Family relationship (p. 274) Body part (p. 274) Attribute (p. 273) Stage/ state (pp.l-li) Animal (p. 273)
1 111
qián
the Creative, force heaven, sky
northwest father head strong creative
horse
2 110
duì
the Joyous, open lake, marsh
west third daughter mouth pleasure tranquil (complete devotion)
sheep, goat
3 101
the Clinging, radiance fire
south second daughter eye light-giving, dependence clinging, clarity, adaptable
pheasant
4 100
zhèn
the Arousing, shake thunder
east first son foot inciting movement initiative
dragon
5 011
xùn
the Gentle, ground wind
southeast first daughter thigh penetrating gentle entrance
fowl
6 010
kǎn
the Abysmal, gorge water
north second son ear dangerous in-motion
pig
7 001
gèn
Keeping Still, bound mountain
northeast third son hand resting, stand-still completion
wolf, dog
8 000
kūn
the Receptive, field earth
southwest mother (consort) belly devoted, yielding receptive
cow

5 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:
  Trigram figure Possible binary value Name Translation: Wilhelm[6] Image in nature (pp.l-li) Direction (p. 269) Family relationship (p. 274) Body part (p. 274) Attribute (p. 273) Stage/ state (pp.l-li) Animal (p. 273)
1 111
qián
the Creative, force heaven, sky
northwest father head strong creative
horse
2 110
duì
the Joyous, open lake, marsh
west third daughter mouth pleasure tranquil (complete devotion)
sheep, goat
3 101
the Clinging, radiance fire
south second daughter eye light-giving, dependence clinging, clarity, adaptable
pheasant
4 100
zhèn
the Arousing, shake thunder
east first son foot inciting movement initiative
dragon
5 011
xùn
the Gentle, ground wind
southeast first daughter thigh penetrating gentle entrance
fowl
6 010
kǎn
the Abysmal, gorge water
north second son ear dangerous in-motion
pig
7 001
gèn
Keeping Still, bound mountain
northeast third son hand resting, stand-still completion
wolf, dog
8 000
kūn
the Receptive, field earth
southwest mother (consort) belly devoted, yielding receptive
cow

They are trigrams, from wikipedia, and they don’t make sense. After all, is kun (the receptive) really the belly? Regardless, I would have thought some daoist would have linked hexagrams with anatomy some time ago.

6 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

They are trigrams, from wikipedia, and they don’t make sense. After all, is kun (the receptive) really the belly? Regardless, I would have thought some daoist would have linked hexagrams with anatomy some time ago.

yes read the book "Internal Foundations of Alchemy" by Wang Mu - there are more details on the hexagrams and anatomy in there. The book is not in front of me right now - so I can't quote from it....

http://www.goldenelixir.com/quotes/quote_of_the_week_56_wm.html

Here you go.

According to the alchemical texts, the main requirement at the stage of “refining Essence and transmuting it into Breath” is that the Yang Essence be refined and transmuted. The hexagram Fu ䷗, formed by Earth ☷ and Thunder ☳, is called “the birth of initial Yang” (yiyang sheng). This Yang should be collected and refined by going through the six Yang stages until it reaches the pure Qian ䷀.

2 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

yes read the book "Internal Foundations of Alchemy" by Wang Mu - there are more details on the hexagrams and anatomy in there.

I haven’t got the book but I’ve read the preview. I couldn’t find anything in there except linking 60 hexagrams with the days of the month rather than anatomy. Perhaps it’s in the full version? I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Phoenix3 said:

I haven’t got the book but I’ve read the preview. I couldn’t find anything in there except linking 60 hexagrams with the days of the month rather than anatomy. Perhaps it’s in the full version? I don’t know.

I'll dig out the book and check it out....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix3 said:

OK I opened the book and the first thing I read was this:

When Qian (Heaven) meets Xun (Wind) contemplate the Moon's Lair, when the Earth Kun) comes across the Thunder(Zhen), observe the Heaven's Root....According to representation of the human body by means of the trigrams, the top of the head is Qian (Heaven) and the belly is Kun (Earth). When the circulation of the internal Breath (neiqi) reaches the top of the heaven, represented by the hexagram Gou formed by Heaven and Wind, one guards the Cavity of the Moon's Lair, the ancestral opening. When it reaches the hexagram Fu, formed by Earth and Thunder, one guards the Heaven's Root, The Cavity of the Caudal Funnel.

p. 57-8.

I think this is the same as the other image I gave...

Edited by voidisyinyang

As we inhale, yang begins to grow rising from kidneys and the perineum, and moving up the Du vessel until yang peaks just before reaching the top of the head. Then yin returns and begins to grow at Bai Hui. Yin gathers until all the lines return to yin again at the perineum.