Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Mair 18 Ultimate Joy

The author takes up one of the themes of Chapter 16 - the wisdom of living simply.  Perhaps the most touching tale in the book is related here:  Master Chuang's acceptance of his wife's death as a natural transformation.  A succession of weird encounters pursues the same thread - the advisability of accepting change as a natural process.
  • Like 2

It is a natural process.

Another natural process is that some acorns grow into oak trees.
Another natural process is that sheep follow each other off cliffs.
Another natural process is that when you were born in a prison you prefer to die there than to risk freedom.
Another natural process is that the fearful talk rather than act.

Another natural process is that fortune favours the brave.

• Like 1

I submit that the word choice, natural, may imply different things in variable context, and so , I consider it prudent to divine what it may be presumed to mean , by considering the behavior of things not human. 

Animals regardless of their life success ,invariably attempt to promote their own welfare, whether that is entirely reflexive,or if it has a component of learning based on the interplay of environment on individual propensity.

Humans have propensities ,but are not often hard wired in behavior. So for humans, I suggest that the natural things are to use intellect and emotion in the pursuit of self promotion .

• Like 1

Yes, the instinct for survival almost always rules.  It's not an absolute truth though as we frequently see actions by humans that are not in their best interest.  And this is because we have brains that sometimes don't function rationally.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this