Kat

Learn the Basics

Hi, 

I am here by the reference of my friend Siva to learn the basics of  spirituality. I hope I can learn the experiences of my master here and get know myself better. :) 

Cheers

Kat

• Like 7

Hello, Kat , and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Kat,

Good to see you here. Siva is a great guy - one of my favorites (just don’t tell him that...) 😊 Hope you enjoy it here. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

Hello, Kat , and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Kat,

Good to see you here. Siva is a great guy - one of my favorites (just don’t tell him that...) 😊 Hope you enjoy it here. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Thanks Fa Xin.  Its my pleasure here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daemon said:

Hi Kat!

Who is your master?

☮️

Yet to find out brother :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am I correct instead in understanding that you're here in search of a guru (amongst the users of this bulletin board) to teach you spirituality (on the recommendation of one of the existing users of this bulletin board)?

☮️

5 minutes ago, Daemon said:

Am I correct instead in understanding that you're here in search of a guru (amongst the users of this bulletin board) to teach you spirituality (on the recommendation of one of the existing users of this bulletin board)?

☮️

No worries. Planning to find out myself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm not worried. I'm merely curious and checking whether my understanding of the situation here is accurate.

Thank you for sating that curiosity.

☮️

Hi Kat.  Welcome.

You don't want me as your spiritual teacher.  Hehehe.

But you can find many here who can offer great guidance.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Bums Kat.

I'd say you are a direct expression of dao and the core of the universe resides in you and through you... you're as close to source as anyone, anywhere, ever.   Perhaps the only teacher needed, resides within.  Either way, there are plenty of wonderful folks here to share in the journey along whichever path you lead... again, welcome!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2018 at 9:41 PM, Kat said:

Planning to find out myself.

Hi Kat,

Finding your teacher...

silent thunder said...

On 6/24/2018 at 12:16 PM, silent thunder said:

Perhaps the only teacher needed, resides within. 

I second that. You are your own teacher - believe that.

- LimA

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 11:16 PM, silent thunder said:

Perhaps the only teacher needed, resides within.

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

You are your own teacher - believe that.

I disagree with that idea!

A person can only review and think about things that they have previously experienced.  When people say that they can learn from the trees or the wind and other such silliness what is happening is that such things are only reminding them of concepts which are already in their heads and maybe they are realizing their truth about or the importance of such concepts, and don't ask me what truth means or what concepts are worth.

If someone wants a spiritual teacher who offers mainly words then that will NOT lead to any spiritual growth, although that is what a lot of people want, to sit around with their finger in their nose, being told cool stuff; and the chances that such cool stuff will really change them in a spiritual growth manner permanently is vanishingly small to nonexistent.

The best thing that such 'spiritual' talk can accomplish is to motivate someone to meditate, so if it does that then it's worthwhile.  Even then, too much talk can create expectations and is most likely to lead people down a side path or false path by having their expectations lead them to look for results which are worthless and egotistical.

This all, by the way, is why the Taoist sage teaches without speaking.

So that is what a person who is serious about spiritual growth, which excludes 99% of seekers, should look for in a teacher, one who teaches meditation and keeps his yap shut.  Personally I like the Taoist ways of meditation, those which can include the ten thousand ways of meditation, sitting, standing, moving, reclining, because they keep smart people from getting bored and also teach about energy, which is important to faster spiritual growth.  By teaching about energy I don't mean some bozo who blabs about what to expect, I mean the movements and postures teach you about energy via what you can feel, and this occurs in addition to and synergistically with the stillness that comes from the non thinking meditational aspect of the exercises which is what leads to the aforementioned faster progress.

So what it comes down to is this:  Spiritual teachers who offer words, and their students, are idiots; and those 'students' who think that they can make progress in a Taoist discipline without instruction from those who are further along the path, will find that they have an idiot for teacher and a fool for a student."

That's just my opinion, YAhahaha.

Edited by Starjumper

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

A person can only review and think about things that they have previously experienced...

Hi Steve,

... and yet to experience like writing a book?

When people say that they can learn from the trees...

Which lemon tree...?

don't ask me what truth means

I will not ask. I have asked God - (S)He has yet to respond.

If someone wants a spiritual teacher who offers mainly words then that will NOT lead to any spiritual growth

Even then, too much talk...

Words...

dawei:

On 6/24/2018 at 8:11 AM, dawei said:

Squares and corners spoken are not the eternalness [of squares and corners].

Taoist sage teaches without speaking.

b1e8170a3634b2135000f143870c70f7.jpg

yap shut

No Talking Sign - ClipArt Best

the ten thousand ways of meditation

th?id=OIP.wOTbdbdfT8pSzrAFx8xrSwHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

I don't mean some bozo...

Pennywise-stephen-kings-it-34267537-500-285.gif

an idiot for teacher and a fool for a student.

lzcPI.jpg

YAhahaha

- Anand

31 minutes ago, Limahong said:

If you focus on the words of the following song you can hear the words of a teacher who can point the way to the land of immortals, who is looking for the 'one':

You will hold and grasp and things will unfold - in ten thousand willful stirrings you will jam the square peg into the round hole.

In this you will be softened.

You will hear the mind chatter and guard your choices - in this you can become hardened and firm in your commitment to your beliefs.

See others and see that the hardened belief is a dead spot within - position is in Past.

The basics - meditation, breath and and ever releasing intention to no  intention - bring you to touch upon Divine Essence.

From Position to Positionless Presence.

Practice brings light to tightness and grasping - position and resistance. Simple light - persistent lighting and relighting - in this you will find all teaching.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spotless said:

Simple light...

Hi Spotless,

Simple de-light -

You will hold and grasp and things will unfold ~ you will be softened.

Guard your choices ~ you can become hardened and firm in... your beliefs.

Hardened belief is a dead spot within ~ position is in Past.

The basics ~ bring you to touch upon Divine Essence.

From Position ~ to Positionless Presence.

Practice brings light ~ to tightness and grasping.

Simple light ~ persistent lighting and relighting,

In this you will find all teaching.

Thank you.

- LimA

• Like 1

I did not mean to imply Guard Your choices - but rather that the monkey mind often hardens in ones beliefs as one guards and fortifies the arguements regardings ones choices - the chatter is honed and sharpened and identified with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spotless said:

I did not mean to imply Guard Your choices - but rather that the monkey mind often hardens in ones beliefs as one guards and fortifies the arguements regardings ones choices - the chatter is honed and sharpened and identified with.

Hi Spotless,

Let us focus a little on the monkey mind -

th?id=OIP.70gZ87j8o0Ry-8o-ztlUCgHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

monkey-mind-quotes-1.jpg

th?id=OIP.eYd8KT6-H8vjScOQQLS2AAHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.13TYpW3kBxP7FP4sDVCYdwHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

25cf49d7dc2cc0f842b16dff823e9813.jpg

237798239-just-cause-you-got-the-monkey-off-1920x1200-funny-quote-wallpaper-333-1596611197.jpg

f74e0bc2a028a4cbd2f50d5626e89302--tiny-buddha-monkeys.jpg

- LimA