Hello.

I am brand new to qigong. I am very poor, but through my wife's Amazon Prime account I have access to Dr. Bingkun Hu's Wild Goose series of DVD's.

His series of DVD's is great, even though the form is dauntingly complex for someone like me. However, I'm curious as to the proper way to practice this.

Do you practice the Wild Goose method?

How did you start?

How did you start your qigong practice in general?

Any tips, experiences, or anecdotes are welcome.

Thank you :)

i've done some Wild Goose chi kung.  A long time ago I met a Chinese professor in Seattle through one of the Taoist schools there and took a series of classes from him where he taught what I think is called the 64 movements.   The problem was that it was something like eight weeks once a week and I think a person really needs to have ongoing weekly practices with a teacher to really get into it.  This was before DVDs, Utube and forums didn't exist, and videotapes of chi kung were uncommon.  Later I became a student of a powerful Taoist wizard for eight years so I focussed on his stuff to the exclusion of others.

Wild Goose is a pretty good system, batter than many others.  I scanned through some of those videos that were posted in the other thread you commented on this in, and what I notice is that the movements are done rather quickly.  Faster than a lot of other types of chi kung and way faster than mine.  I also see that the movements contain a rather random combination of stretching mixed with energy work, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think what would be good for both your training and your learning is to run the videos at half speed or even better, at 25% speed, and do them that way.  It is also best if you can do the exercises with your eyes closed rather than watching a video, which requires learning the system.  A good way to learn the system is to just watch a few movements at a time and practice those until you can do them without watching, then add a few more movements at a time.  This is how more complex systems like tai chi are taught and learned.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1