Yinja

What is in our power to do?

My thoughts, emotions and  even my will and decisions supposedly the most free of my actions arise from within me 

like hiccups. 

What are we all trying to achive here? to bang our heads against a wall to ultimately realise 

there is nothing to change and nothing to achive?

But is it not that the very moment of this realisation is also fixed somewhere in time and cannot be changed like everything else? 

Why do spiritual teachers plead us to wake up if there is nothing we can do about it and nothing we can do to understand we cant do anything about it? 

I find myself wonder about that often nowadays and most times very confused, 

but at times also very light as i see that i cannot make any mistakes, like a cloud in the wind.

Yinja

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yinja said:

Why do spiritual teachers plead us to wake up if there is nothing we can do about it and nothing we can do to understand we cant do anything about it? 

Because they desperately need to convince others that they're special because they need disciples. Without followers they are nothing. How can any of them be a teacher if they don't have (needy) pupils?

☮️

You make it sound like its a bad thing..

are they not a creation of nature as marvelous and one of a kind as any?

Excrement is a creation of nature and wonderful in its own right. I still flush it down the toilet rather than leaving it to stink and create disease.

☮️

2 hours ago, Yinja said:

The sage teaches without speaking.  So if you go to a 'teacher' who majors in speaking then he usually isn't a sage.

I wonder where you got the idea that there is nothing you can do about it and nothing you can do to understand you cant do anything about it?

There IS something you can do to 'wake up', as you say, and it seems to me that any good teacher will offer that solution, and it should be the main reason that they are speaking, to get people to practice the solution.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

The sage teaches without speaking.

Hi Steve,

My Teacher does not speak much - almost to being silent. Yet I have to listen.

303543.png

- Anand

2 hours ago, Yinja said:

My thoughts, emotions and  even my will and decisions supposedly the most free of my actions arise from within me 

like hiccups.

Hi Yinja,

Thoughts, emotions, will, decisions, actions... - are energy-based,

everything-is-energy-einstein.jpg

Is it possible that hiccups may arise if there are mismatches in frequencies?

- LimA

2 hours ago, Daemon said:

Because they desperately need to convince others that they're special because they need disciples. Without followers they are nothing. How can any of them be a teacher if they don't have (needy) pupils?

Demon shows his true colors.

Edited by Starjumper

46 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

colors

Hi Steve,

I like your new colors - cool.

Starjumper

- Anand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Yinja,

Thoughts, emotions, will, decisions, actions... - are energy-based,

everything-is-energy-einstein.jpg

Is it possible that hiccups may arise if there are mismatches in frequencies?

- LimA

forgive me, but that seemed a little too new agey for Einstein.  Not that he was averse to metaphysics.  In any case, according to the quote investigator.. it's not from Albert- https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/05/16/everything-energy/

according to the site above this is as close as he got-

Albert Einstein did speak about the relationship between matter and energy. The following quote is from a 1948 film called “Atomic Physics” [AEAP]:

It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing — a somewhat unfamiliar conception for the average mind.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Folks i appreciate what you have to say but it dosnt answer my question 

In other words what is not 100% automatic in us? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yinja said:

like hiccups. 

This means you are not aware of the process, thats all .    This awareness needs training.   It can be achieved, it just means you have not been able to do it or have not attempted to do it and perhaps do not realise it can be done.

There are lots of different meditations to work with; one is seizing one of these 'spontaneously' arising thoughts and trace it back observing its formation and development.

The same with 'will' ... actually, this ;tracing back' and identifying origins and examining weather they are 'yours' or have been instilled is a very important art of finding your  true will  ...   for example, if one has a desire to enter a certain career, what spurned that desire; expectations of society / family, or your  own ?

Sometimes, when examining this you might have to 'peel the layers off,' .

4 hours ago, Yinja said:

What are we all trying to achive here? to bang our heads against a wall to ultimately realise 

Thats a strangely negative statement.  There is a lot to achieve ; the  development of the self to its fullest potential for example.

You can not go beyond the boundary of your fullest development , some things might NOT be able to change   but     how do you know, at this stage, what your  fullest potential is ?  It might be a lot more than you realise at this stage .

4 hours ago, Yinja said:

But is it not that the very moment of this realisation is also fixed somewhere in time and cannot be changed like everything else? 

Maybe your  'if '  is wrong ?   Maybe there is something that can be done .

4 hours ago, Yinja said:

but at times also very light as i see that i cannot make any mistakes, like a cloud in the wind.

Yinja

Oh well ... if you never make or cannot make  a mistake, I take all that stuff I wrote up there back

.........   carrry on  then  .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yinja said:

Folks i appreciate what you have to say but it dosnt answer my question 

In other words what is not 100% automatic in us? 

You could be 'in a rut' in your life , thats why you developed this attitude .

get out and do something totally different for a while !   Find some new stimulus .

6 minutes ago, thelerner said:

forgive me, but that seemed a little too new agey for Einstein.

Hi thelerner,

maxresdefault.jpg

x354-q80.jpg

Is it...

th?id=OIP.p_2UHfSRrEn1UmuzVPn5jQHaIV&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Or...

il_340x270.1069009853_kjiq.jpg

Bro - no 'forgive'. We learn together.

E%3Dmc2.jpg

- LimA

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nungali said:

... get out and do something totally different for a while !

Hi Nungali,

do-something-completely-different.jpg

Now I am going to do something totally different from what I had been doing the whole day - I am going to sleep.

Good night.

- LimA

1 hour ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Hi Michael Sternbach,

Sure - but our thinking must be black.

934774-henry-ford-1-1-700x494.jpg

- LimA

5 hours ago, Nungali said:

Oh well ... if you never make or cannot make  a mistake, I take all that stuff I wrote up there back

.........   carrry on  then  .

He already made his mistake.

Edited by Starjumper

Im sorry if it sounds negetive I still have a very strong feeling that there is beauty to it 

and that the way of life is the ultimate way of living. 

Still i cant see any of you point to something which is in your control. 

I suggest give it a bit of thought because it sure is tricky. you speak of alot of decision making like they are main to make. also the observation you mention is no different. you will see you are moved by enviroment 

(i just want to make sense in this not to make my own statement) 

Here is a quote from a book the way i remember it. 

If you can make a decision well than there must be a point when you decide to decide... and decide to decide to decide

and so on in an endless regression. so you see if you were free to decide you couldnt and if youare not free to decide you can decide. 

I see your perspective as the natural outcome of popular but ungrounded spiritual philosophies. To me they bear the burden of blame. 

16 hours ago, Yinja said:

like hiccups. 

Yinja

As far as I can see you've fallen for the popular neo-advaitan trap. Nothing to do, everything is perfect right now. As far as I'm concerned it's a terrible Western scam that has been embraced by popular opinion, and can lead to nowhere good. 'Most times confused and sometimes like a cloud in the wind.' The cloud in the wind good feeling is the ungrounded reward that keeps people hanging on to the fantasy of sudden non-dual awakening. 

Edited by Bindi
  • Like 3

I dont think its Neo at all 

This type of reflections came to me after reading the Way of Zen by Alan Watts 

years ago ive read it but nothing sank and now i find it hard to ignore. 

I still dont think its an excuse for anything as you discover that a cloud in the wind can dance and sing 

and be spontanious as nature itself 

So to me it seems exactly what Zen talks about and there is nothing grim about it.

Bindi, there is no reward of this kind of thinking for us who are identified with our ego. it rips the ground under our feet. (atlist at first) 

2 hours ago, Yinja said:

I'm sorry if it sounds negative...

Hi Yinja,

You do not appear as negative to me but just someone trying to get out of a grave buried with words.

Your quote - If you can make a decision well than there must be a point when you decide to decide... and decide to decide to decide and so on in an endless regression. so you see if you were free to decide you couldn't and if you are not free to decide you can decide - has ONE decision linked to EIGHT decide's.

there-is-no-trap-so-deadly-as-the-trap-you-set-for-yourself-quote-1.jpg

willie-stargell-athlete-judgment-traps-you-within-the-limitations-of.jpg

you-gave-yourself-away-word-by-word-every-time-you-opened-your-trap-to-speak-quote-1.jpg

Perhaps you can say this to decision so that you do not have to decide -

Then take a walk in the sun with the rain -

rogermiller1.jpg

Rainy-Day-Quotes-1.jpg

mehmet-murat-ildan-the-sun-after-the-rain-is-much-quote-on-storemypic-0051f.png

a9c3fc936dab67e14dbc430d589163f0.jpg

597693470-life-is-mixture-of-sunshine-and-rain-teardrops-and-laughter-please-and-pain-just-remember-there-was-never-a-cloud-that-the-sun-wouldnt-shine-through.jpg

yin_yang_symbol_sun_stickers-r21f3e51053394a63ac0d1200fba8e4b9_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

tumblr_m85h4oztw01qhxvj9o1_500.gif

Smiley face emoji could make your colleagues miserable | IOL News

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

27 minutes ago, Yinja said:

I dont think its Neo at all 

This type of reflections came to me after reading the Way of Zen by Alan Watts 

years ago ive read it but nothing sank and now i find it hard to ignore. 

I still dont think its an excuse for anything as you discover that a cloud in the wind can dance and sing 

and be spontanious as nature itself 

So to me it seems exactly what Zen talks about and there is nothing grim about it.

Bindi, there is no reward of this kind of thinking for us who are identified with our ego. it rips the ground under our feet. (atlist at first) 

This Alan Watts? http://www.philosophyforlife.org/the-lazy-mysticism-of-alan-watts/