silent thunder

Time Machine Dinner

I regularly host Time Machine Dinners.

I imagine picking up three guests from any time, current or past and hosting a conversation with them.

Usually I'll then spend some time reading snippets of writings from each and treating it as if they were conversing.  It's led to some interesting insights and fun afternoons/evenings over the years.

My next guests are Robert Anton Wilson, Terence McKenna and George Carlin

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

So I'm curious... if you had access to my machine... who would you invite to dinner for an evening?

My three ex-wifes.  That would be a great get together.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

My three ex-wifes.  That would be a great get together.

YOUR XXX WIFE ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ONE said:

YOUR XXX WIFE ?

Yep.  All three of them.  All different women too.  From different countries too.

hmnn, I might go back stream and pick up my great grandmother on my dads side who I never met.  Perhaps give equal time to a great great granddaughter, I'd pick up in the future.  Then 20 years into the past and pick up my mom.  

Lots to discuss, I'm sure. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

@Wells You need to read The Man who Folded Himself, by David Gerrold.

I obviously have to find a way to get to wellsverse, where everyone and everything is Well(s)!

I thought on this thing a while now, and , for me , there's two categories for considering the guests ,

one , is the group of whom one has particular questions to ask , like ,,, How did you guys move the big rocks? or What really was Your view before everyone else made comment ? 

And the other group would be folks who one would just think it was easy to have an interesting dinner thing with, that they might play off one another and make it memorable. 

Picking from group 2 , I go with Jane Goodall , Carl Sagan , and Jeremy Wade ( yes, the fishing guy) . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ONE said:

YOUR XXX WIFE ?

shame he didnt get one more wife  .... then you get a free beer !

xxxx-bitter-beer-online-1368414823.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nungali said:

Can I come too ?

Sure, in case that you are some alternate version of myself from the future who went back in time solely for the reason to witness the illuminating presence of his past self on thedaobums...

Edited by Wells

55 minutes ago, zerostao said:

It was a lovely dinner silent thunder, can't wait till we do it again sometime.

It's always amazing to me when I meet another new old friend!

Cheers bud and see you soon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wells said:

Sure, in case that you are some alternate version of myself from the future who went back in time solely for the reason to witness the illuminating presence of his past self on thedaobums...

But ... aren't we all just a part of you  ?

• Like 1

Sometimes I seek out the guests for Dinner and sometimes the guests present themselves.

Authors being recommended routinely leads to co-reading several books at once.  And suddenly I realize I'm hosting another TimeTravelDinner conversation.  It happens routinely that seemingly unrelated books will overlap in synchronistic manners for me.

Right now the guests who "popped by" are: Victor Fankl, Marcus Aurelius and Carl Jung

• Like 2

What a great idea.  I have time machine conversations with assorted people too from time to time, and occasionally over dinner -- if I'm invited. :) The first time that I recall having such tete-a-tete, it was with Lord Byron.  I was 17 and suffering from taedium vitae and mild nausea on a 6-hour-long bus trip when he just popped in and pronounced,

The best of remedies is a beef-steak

Against sea-sickness: try it, sir, before

You sneer, and I assure you this is true,

For I have found it answer—so may you.

"A beef-steak?  Are you sure, Lord Byron?"  "Please.  Call me George."  "Are you sure a beef-steak helps against sea-sickness, George?  What about bus sickness?"  "No idea, alas -- I've never ridden a bus."  "Well, then tell me more about that journey you had Don Juan undertake when leaving his native land and suffering from sea-sickness on the ship."  "Gladly, m'lady."  

He felt that chilling heaviness of heart,

Or rather stomach, which, alas! attends,

Beyond the best apothecary’s art,

The loss of love, the treachery of friends,        

Or death of those we dote on, when a part

Of us dies with them as each fond hope ends.

No doubt he would have been much more pathetic,

But the sea acted as a strong emetic.

I had to make that tedious bus trip on a fairly regular basis for two years (between the university I went to at the time and home) so this became my regular routine.  My next host as I recall was Jesus Christ at the Last Supper.   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm fascinated by a literary location that would be a perfect venue for such meals - a restaurant opened by a time traveler in Dong Yue's 1640 novel "Tower Of Myriad Mirrors - a Suppliment to Journey to the West". 

Basically a fan fiction in which Monkey comes unstuck in time. Too much fun.

49 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I would invite Einstein .... then I could ask him .   " Ein Stein  Einstein ? "

6.jpeg

I'd invite Isaac Newton and say 'oops sorry I dropped your apple'.