Lost in Translation

Can You Lose Your Judgement?

Can you lose your judgement? Is that other really worthy of praise? Is that other truly pitiful?

Your judgements of other are a reflection of yourself. What do you see when you look on the mirror?

Yes, one can lose their judgement.  I will call it "being apathetic".

I make no judgement here.  Being apathetic, within reason, can bring one peace of mind.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 2

Bertrand Russell said: "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."

I am still struggling with this problem! What is the use of study, cultivation, and experience when all stages on the road are of equal worth? The solution probably lies in accepting two forms of truth (practical and metaphysical).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Yes, one can lose their judgement.  I will call it "being apathetic".

I make no judgement here.  Being apathetic, within reason, con bring one peace of mind.

That's exactly the Way of the ancient (Greek and Roman) sceptics. ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I am still struggling with this problem! What is the use of study, cultivation, and experience when all stages on the road are of equal worth? The solution probably lies in accepting two forms of truth (practical and metaphysical).

And the answer suddenly appeared to me. Reasoning and consciously worked out value systems aren't necessary for if they were plants wouldn't even grow, bear fruit and die. It's enough for there being an inner drive to develop ones potential. And in case the inner drive isn't there, it isn't there. It's just a matter of facts. No need to judge, because in both cases one just does what one feels like doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As regards this thread I was thinking about a specific event last night. I went to a concert. People were there, listening to music, enjoying themselves. I happened to see a person who looked like maybe they were drunk, or high - and not just last night but chronically, most of their life. This person had droopy eyes, a stupid smile, clothes that didn't fit - like they had just come in from spending all day in the sun and the fabric was stretched from constant pulling. I felt derision, disdain. I genuinely disliked that person and was offended by their presence. How dare this... person... share the same space as me?!!

They it struck me, the sense of judgement. I did not know this person. This person had no impact on my life. I had no reason to care - for good or bad - about this individual. So I told myself to let it go.

But it's not easy to let it go, since this happens all the time and most of the time it is not obvious as it was last night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Can you lose your judgement?

My opinion is no. As long as we live, we will judge. We are hard wired to do this - is it good or bad? is it a threat or a support?

At some level this is necessary for life. 

The problem is that we take it far beyond what is necessary and over-identify with the aspect of the mind which renders judgement.

This over-identification leads to dysfunction and can be lessened with practice.

Is that other really worthy of praise? Is that other truly pitiful?

That is the judging mind in action.

The answer to these questions are as you say below...

Your judgements of other are a reflection of yourself.

What do you see when you look on the mirror?

If you are interested in carrying this process forward, be the mirror and watch yourself constantly.

No better use of one's time, IMO.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

But it's not easy to let it go, since this happens all the time and most of the time it is not obvious as it was last night.

No need to let go if it's not easy.

Simply notice, in the moment, be aware of what is happening.

Once you are aware of this process it is already beginning to change.

The deeper your awareness, the sooner it will release spontaneously.

it's not a matter of working hard to let go, if that's the case you will simply be repressing or suppressing and it will resurface.

Over time you get more and more sensitive, picking up progressively more subtle tendencies to judge and comment.

Awareness is the key.

• Like 2

Yes - I agree with steve. Even judging your judging as wrong would only create more problems. And besides, some simple forms of judgment are necessary for survival and staying out of trouble.

By losing "judgement", i suppose you mean "not being judgmental"? 

If so, yes, and I find it to be a recipe for peaceful life. Not taking sides, staying in the middle-path is a classic recipe for alleviating of suffering.