LAOLONG

The paradox of multicultural view

The paradox is that in the name
Of the velue of multicultural tolerance you begin to support
Cultures and religions that don't
SHARE velues of multicultural view
With respect to other beliefs

I suppose that could be a well supported argument.  I won't take it on.

However, me personally, I enjoy the music of most cultures.  When in the Army I always tried to learn at least a little about the culture of the people wherever I was stationed.  I learned very early to not question their culture, only to understand it.

I don't go out on the road much any more but I used to enjoy going to Louisiana (for the Cajun culture) and Texas (for the Tejano culture).  I think both are worthy cultures.

But I don't bring them or their culture back home with me.  I have my own.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ONE said:

The paradox is that in the name
Of the velue of multicultural tolerance you begin to support
Cultures and religions that don't
SHARE velues of multicultural view
With respect to other beliefs

Meh...it`s only a paradox if "support" means tit-for-tat.  I`ll scratch your back if you scratch mine.  That`s a pretty narrow definition of support.  I lived for awhile in Oaxaca, Mexico, a region not known for it`s hearty embrace of "outsiders," although the capital city relies heavily on tourism.  The people who live there for the most part don`t "support" me; they certainly don`t think very much about multiculturalism.  But that doesn`t mean that I can`t find a lot to appreciate about the region and it`s inhabitants.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

The whole world is multicultural. It is human politics that divides.

The whole world is multicultural in so far as there is a multitude of different cultures. There is nothing wrong in this.

Unfortunately we now have (at least in the western world) a great Cultural Marxist social experiment known as "diversity" where the multitude of cultures are expected to meld together in a homogenized degenerated mess.

Certain elements of society, such as Marxists, Liberals and Feminists believe that this can only be to the good of mankind. The more sensible elements of society know otherwise.

Edited by Chang

In it's essence it's simple enough:

- Those aspects of culture that can be experienced without disrupting the way of life of other people pose no problem. Multiculturalism is a possibility in this sphere.

- As for those aspects of culture (government, law, etc.) that concern society as a whole there can reasonably be only one system at a given time that applies to everybody in the society under consideration. Multiculturalism in this sphere isn't a stable situation and can easily lead to civil war.

There are no simple answers.

An ignorant man glorifies his own culture over another simply because it is his own.

A fool glorifies another culture over his own simply because it is another.

A smart man learns his own culture.

A wise man learns others' cultures.

A strong man acknowledges the good and bad of each.

A courageous man upholds the good and fights the bad regardless of where he finds it.

Sadly we live in a world of ignorant fools who are neither smart nor wise and lack both strength and courage.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Sadly we live in a world of ignorant fools who are neither smart nor wise and lack both strength and courage.

Wait a minute!  You are being a little dramatic there, aren't you?

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:
20 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Wait a minute!  You are being a little dramatic there, aren't you?

A little, yes. ;)

• Like 1

Maybe I don`t understand multiculturalism.  Odd, I know, given that I grew up in California.  I thought it meant always saying yes when friends suggest going out for pizza.  By that standard, I`m a big-time multiculturalist.

I used to have an adopted friend whose birth parents were Mexican.  He looked Mexican as could be and didn`t speak a lick of Spanish.  Everywhere he went, Spanish-speaking people who tried to talk to him figured he was stupid or self-hating.  Poor guy.

I love how specific cultures can be and appreciate it when people hold on to regional foodways and folkways.  It`s also true that we`re all individuals, and that none of us fit perfectly into somebody else`s view of what`s appropriate for our supposed culture.  I sure didn`t fit into mine.  

The first thing you notice when traveling internationally is how different we are from each other; the last thing you notice when traveling internationally is how much we are the same.

• Like 3

To me, variety is the spice of life.  Vive le difference. 

One can't throw common sense out of the window ofcourse, but travel opens the mind.  We learn things we didn't know, we didn't know. It gives us the chance to learn from the best of other cultures and better appreciate the best of our own.  Monochrome is boring. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, thelerner said:

One can't throw common sense out of the window ...

I was known for doing that when I was younger.

18 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

It`s reassuring to look back over the years and realize we`re still basically the same ole guy we've always been. :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

It`s reassuring to look back over the years and realize we`re still basically the same ole guy we've always been. :P

Yeah, if I was young again I would likely do most of it all over again.  I suppose it's good I'm older.  Hehehe.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

but mamaa.. that's where the fun is.. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1