tedd_a

Hello Forum

Greetings. I spent first half of my life in SE Asia, and second half of my life in Canada. Daoism and Buddhism has been major topics in my upbringings. I have basic proficiency (can speak but cannot read/write) in Mandarin. I am interested in finding english literature about daoism, particularly in gua (nei gua, wai gua), and meditation. Thank you! :)

• Like 1

Hello, Tedd_a, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome tedd,

Plenty of info floating around about gua and meditation on here. I’m sure you’ll find what your looking for. Happy reading and welcome aboard. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

• Like 1

Hi Tedd.  Welcome.

There are currently a couple threads speaking to meditation.  I'm sure you will find many discussions to get involved in.

On 6/3/2018 at 2:39 AM, tedd_a said:

I spent first half of my life in SE Asia, and second half of my life in Canada. Daoism and Buddhism has been major topics in my upbringings.

Hi tedd_a,

geeks-on-a-beach-philippines-south-east-asia-startup-ecosystems-mohan-belani-bowei-gai-gwen-regina-tan-amarit-Charoenphan-Richard-Min-infrastructure-payments-innovation-is-everywhere-mart-2.jpg

acommerce2.jpg

cousins-i-gang-so-you-have-protection-hennessy-i-thought-23377950.png

harrystruman1-2x.jpg

Echoes or recalls?

- LimA

SE Asia

Hi tedd

Was South East Asia invented? If so, how are our destinies affected?

From a Taoist perspective...

214606e436f84b5bf750b12fbddde3ce--taoism-quotes-lao-tzu-quotes.jpg

th?id=OIP.cCxD4aWjC5WeE8FWRh3hUAHaJg&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

But...

destiny-quote-1.jpg

So...?

- LimA

On 2018-06-09 at 4:52 AM, Limahong said:

Hi tedd_a,

geeks-on-a-beach-philippines-south-east-asia-startup-ecosystems-mohan-belani-bowei-gai-gwen-regina-tan-amarit-Charoenphan-Richard-Min-infrastructure-payments-innovation-is-everywhere-mart-2.jpg

acommerce2.jpg

cousins-i-gang-so-you-have-protection-hennessy-i-thought-23377950.png

harrystruman1-2x.jpg

Echoes or recalls?

- LimA

The white rabit candy definitely brings back memory! :)

On 2018-06-13 at 4:47 AM, Limahong said:

Hi tedd

Was South East Asia invented? If so, how are our destinies affected?

From a Taoist perspective...

214606e436f84b5bf750b12fbddde3ce--taoism-quotes-lao-tzu-quotes.jpg

th?id=OIP.cCxD4aWjC5WeE8FWRh3hUAHaJg&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

But...

destiny-quote-1.jpg

So...?

- LimA

hi LimA,

"Was South East Asia invented? If so, how are our destinies affected?"

No comment on this one. Too big of a topic for me to digest... Sorry! :)

Though the whole topic of regions and countries separation makes me think about what the astronout realize when they see earth from outer space and not observe any line separating regions.

Regarding influence from the past. It is also a grey line, which country is absolutely 'clear' from influence of the past? We all live in the corpse of our culture.

Re: The second portion...

I don't see a conflict between the destiny saying and the last image... Providing one is not attached to one's own definition of what one's destiny should be and that one cultivate sufficient contemplative ability to (1) perceive one's own tendency to hang on, and (2) the will/discipline to let go of that tendency.

1 hour ago, tedd_a said:

The white rabbit candy definitely brings back memory! :)

Hi tedd_a,

"White Rabbit Creamy Candy is white, with a soft, chewy texture, and is formed into cylinders approximately 3 cm long and 1 cm in diameter, similar to contemporary western nougat or taffy" - Wikipedia

For a while, the candy was banned for export thus:

"Shanghai has ordered the maker of the famed White Rabbit candy... to stop exports after four countries and regions... found the sweet contained the industrial chemical melamine... On Sunday, Singapore was the first to announce that its testing showed the candy to be tainted. Hong Kong did so on Tuesday. Australia and New Zealand urged shops to withdraw White Rabbit on Wednesday..." - South China Morning Post - 26 September 2008

I had out-grown the candy - a kind of freedom through unloading?

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi tedd_a,

"White Rabbit Creamy Candy is white, with a soft, chewy texture, and is formed into cylinders approximately 3 cm long and 1 cm in diameter, similar to contemporary western nougat or taffy" - Wikipedia

For a while, the candy was banned for export thus:

"Shanghai has ordered the maker of the famed White Rabbit candy... to stop exports after four countries and regions... found the sweet contained the industrial chemical melamine... On Sunday, Singapore was the first to announce that its testing showed the candy to be tainted. Hong Kong did so on Tuesday. Australia and New Zealand urged shops to withdraw White Rabbit on Wednesday..." - South China Morning Post - 26 September 2008

I had out-grown the candy - a kind of freedom through unloading?

- LimA

Hiya LimA

Whoa re: tainted candy! Not sure what you mean by unloading. Last i had one of those was approx 22 years ago now. Hahahaha!

-Tedd

41 minutes ago, tedd_a said:

Last i had one of those was approx 22 years ago

Hi tedd_a,

I bought a package of the candy during the Lunar New Year in February 2018. Had a craving for many years - but put it underwrap for many years until four months ago.

It did not taste anything as remembered - so no more craving. 

By 'unloading' I mean 'deleting' from my mind.

93b9d9bd90da8f36b3a1cb7f2f79c075.jpg

54c8d607e39858de3dd6d0d946ed281d.jpg

334523.png

But not anymore...

i-have-learned-a-lot-about-myself-and-come-to-deal-with-a-lot-of-things-that-at-first-bothered-me-quote-1.jpg

- LimA

On 6/16/2018 at 7:12 AM, tedd_a said:

Regarding influence from the past. It is also a grey line, which country is absolutely 'clear' from influence of the past? We all live in the corpse of our culture.

Hi tedd_a,

How about dragon boat races and rice dumplings? Today (5th day of the 5th lunar month) - we celebrate/enjoy both.

端午节快乐!
Happy Dumpling Festival! !

The date of 端午节 / Dragon Boat Festival is determined based on lunar calendar, and falls on 5th day of the 5th month in the Chinese lunar calendar. Thus in Gregorian (Western) calendar the date will change from year to year.

Dragon Boat Festival is said to commemorate the sacrifice of Qu Yuan, a legendary Chinese poet. In Mi Lo River around 2000 years ago, he drowned himself to protest against the rulers and to stop corruption. As respect to the poet, people throw dumplings into the river to stop fish from feeding on the poet’s body as well as make noise to scare the fish away.

To celebrate the festival, dragon boat races are organised - symbolizing searching for Qu Yuan’s body on the river. In the past, dumplings are said to be thrown on the river to drive away the fishes from the legendary poet’s body. Nowadays, the rice dumplings are eaten as a delicacy, which made this festival is also known as the Chinese Dumpling Festival.

20120623-162752.jpg-

-Adapted from Gintai's blog.

1062CrownePlazaAbalone.jpg

4710826992_3d951455b3_b.jpg

26936031962_2393076edb_b.jpg

83aefe0526f02662e1e0c055ef0c64b6.jpg

One of the festival's signature songs:

Same song - sang on a street stage during a temple's celebration in Singapore:

- LimA

13 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi tedd_a,

How about dragon boat races and rice dumplings? Today (5th day of the 5th lunar month) - we celebrate/enjoy both.

端午节快乐!
Happy Dumpling Festival! !

The date of 端午节 / Dragon Boat Festival is determined based on lunar calendar, and falls on 5th day of the 5th month in the Chinese lunar calendar. Thus in Gregorian (Western) calendar the date will change from year to year.

Dragon Boat Festival is said to commemorate the sacrifice of Qu Yuan, a legendary Chinese poet. In Mi Lo River around 2000 years ago, he drowned himself to protest against the rulers and to stop corruption. As respect to the poet, people throw dumplings into the river to stop fish from feeding on the poet’s body as well as make noise to scare the fish away.

To celebrate the festival, dragon boat races are organised - symbolizing searching for Qu Yuan’s body on the river. In the past, dumplings are said to be thrown on the river to drive away the fishes from the legendary poet’s body. Nowadays, the rice dumplings are eaten as a delicacy, which made this festival is also known as the Chinese Dumpling Festival.

20120623-162752.jpg-

-Adapted from Gintai's blog.

1062CrownePlazaAbalone.jpg

4710826992_3d951455b3_b.jpg

26936031962_2393076edb_b.jpg

83aefe0526f02662e1e0c055ef0c64b6.jpg

One of the festival's signature songs:

Same song - sang on a street stage during a temple's celebration in Singapore:

- LimA

Hmm.. Dragonboat festival, aware of it, though can't recall having ever attended one when at home.

There is dragonboat festival yearly where I am now, but probably more for social/sport purposes without any awareness of the tradition.

Rice dumpling - yes, we do make that at home, but i haven't have those for years!

gua (nei gua, wai gua)

Hi tedd_a,

Apology for the diversions.

I am new to gua. What is it?

- LimA

I am interested in finding English literature about Daoism, particularly in gua (nei gua, wai gua), and meditation.

Hi tedd_a,

I do not know much about bagua - but I have just found these:

bagua-mapa.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bagua_Life.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iching_trigrams.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bagua-mirror-symbols.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bagua-color.jpg

c5947a8e9fb694931c64f067af447135.jpg

22940279321408329_C9CIpmdA_c.jpg

Enhancement-feng-Shui-Bagua-Smaller-1.jpg

baguaMapEmpower.jpg

bagua.jpg

I profess again that I know very little about bagua - little knowledge is dangerous.

It will be very good if someone in the know shares his/her take.

- LimA