Phoenix3

Does anyone know any exact quotes from ancient Daoist sources (before tang dynasty) which teach how to meditate correctly?

5 hours ago, steve said:

You misunderstood my point, sorry for not being more clear.

I quoted you because of the precise and concise explanation of the scientific method provided by your graph.

I was not referring to how scientists use the word energy (or science), that is (should be) precise and consistent.

I was referring to the way 'energy' is used on this forum and by lay-people in general, which leads to poor communication. 

What Physics Professor Basil J. Hiley is stating is that - it is in the Schroedinger equation - the quantum potential is not the same as kinetic energy nor classical potential energy - but rather the quantum potential is a field that has its own energy that is nonlocal.

"why has this quantum potential been rejected? Because it's strange, Sure it's strange. Quantum mechanics is strange! ...The energy is not localized at the particle....This common energy...this energy is nonlocal. Here we go. People don't like having nonlocal."

So you just need to study science more to connect it to Daoism.

In many ways it seemed to be a new form of inner energy possessed by the particle, organising the flow lines in a novel way and suggesting a 'formative' cause rather than the traditional efficient cause.

....quantum phenomena emerged from a non-commutative phase space.

Quantum professor Basil J. Hiley, 2016: "Quantum Trajectories: Dirac, Moyal and Bohm"

I've corresponded with Professor Hiley.

So you can read my blog for more details. Professor Hiley again:

So the energy is not localized at the particle. In fact the particle energy is less than it would be if you tried to measure it without the entanglement....The energy is in the curvature of space and not in the flat region.

8 hours ago, Daemon said:

You're very much mistaken Steve. A competent scientist defines energy precisely in terms of its SI unit.

The SI unit of energy is the joule, which is the energy transferred to an object by the work of moving it a distance of 1 metre against a force of 1 newton.

☮️

Footnotes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_energy 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement

☮️

Chinese Philosophy Professor Patrick Edwin Moran made the below entry to Wikipedia and he ties it directly to Daoist philosophy.

500px-Why_Planck_Constant_not_energy.jpg

Every day upon waking up and opening our eyes, we are always looking outwards, seeking outwards and contemplating outwards.

We are very rarely contemplating our breath, our heart beat, and the peristaltic movement of our intestines and stomach. If we attempt to look inwards, seek inwards, we are capable of opening a new gate, which will make our thoughts and train of thoughts to be more clear, distinct and sharp, and which will make our physical flesh and organs to be more sturdy, firm and powerful

There are many methods of sitting meditation and stillness cultivation, but the only requirement is to be able to find the manner which allows your brain to stop, that allows your thoughts to return to zero; this is precisely the best method..

Sitting meditation and stillness cultivation has three levels in total. The first type is for eliminating illness and for achieving a healthy body, strengthening the physique and improving one’s physical constitution. The second type is for experimentation and for seeking the unusual and strange, as well as for gaining powers. The third kind is for the refinement of the elixir and for cultivating the Dao, gaining an eternally living and immortal body with higher dimensional and vibrational frequencies. Therefore the goals are not the same, and subsequently the requirements are not the same.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

There are many methods of sitting meditation and stillness cultivation, but the only requirement is to be able to find the manner which allows your brain to stop, that allows your thoughts to return to zero; this is precisely the best method..

Sitting meditation and stillness cultivation has three levels in total. The first type is for eliminating illness and for achieving a healthy body, strengthening the physique and improving one’s physical constitution. The second type is for experimentation and for seeking the unusual and strange, as well as for gaining powers. The third kind is for the refinement of the elixir and for cultivating the Dao, gaining an eternally living and immortal body with higher dimensional and vibrational frequencies. Therefore the goals are not the same, and subsequently the requirements are not the same.

Where would you place cultivation aimed at cultivating wisdom, perception, intent, spirit, etc.? Would you say that one can cultivate xing and ming without the goals of immortality?

• Like 1

I was also going to mention that too. practice could lead to higher goals. The bar is set very high in my tradition and physically demanding. I am a better person for it so I have great respect and gratitude for all bitterness endured.

• Like 1

恬淡虛無 

真氣從之

精神內守

病安從來

《皇帝內經 - 素問 -上古天真論》

From The Yellow Emperor's Inner Classic, Basic Questions, "On the Celestial Truths of the Ancients" (or however you wanna translate into the title... from, most likely, the Warring States period).

Rough translation:

"[Being] without a care [in] empty nonexistence/

[It is] this that true qi follows/

Holding jing and shen within/

From whence could illness come?"

The ancients were terse; those four lines are to this day in China and Taiwan considered to be a complete meditation instruction.

In my opinion, even Yangzhu (楊朱)'s supposed utterance that he would not pluck even a single hair from his body to save the world is a complete meditation instruction. If what I'm saying makes no sense, try sitting in such equanimity that you would not do anything to change anything, including within your own mind and body--I mean not even the slightest physical movement to remove pain or the slightest mental movement to affect thought. If you succeed, then what happens to you?

• Like 1