Sign in to follow this  
Rwo

why routine might be important?

Hey everyone :)

this is my first topic so I hope I dont screw up.

How do you incorporate routine, into your life, and meditation?

Do you meditate every time before sleep and after waking up?

at fixed time? 

Sometime I feel like I am using willpower to meditate, so I thought... maybe it's better to have a fixed routine

that NO events excepts urgency can disrupt?

ex:

at exacly, 9h30pm I will practice for 2h, if I am still not centered I will practice until feeling centered then sleep.
At exacly  6h3Oam I will practice 2h. 

And do this everyday for at least 21 until it becomes an habit and no willpower is necessary.

I want to try that
What do you think?

• Like 4

Hi Rwo.

Yes, I am an animal of routine.  But only of those aspects of my life such that routine is the best path.

I meditate only when I know I need it.

But I can respect your decision to set meditation to a routine.

Best wishes.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rwo said:

By starting with less. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

By starting with less. 

you mean less routine? 

"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

6 minutes ago, Rwo said:

you mean less routine? 

"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."

By not starting with four hours (if you are new to it). 

This translates poorly:"up like a sun, down like a pancake". 

Results comes with years of practice, years of practice comes more easy if you start with 10-15 minutes and work yourself up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rwo said:

And do this everyday for at least 21 until it becomes an habit and no willpower is necessary.

I want to try that
What do you think?

Try it :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rwo said:

Hey everyone :)

this is my first topic so I hope I dont screw up.

You're doing fine!

Welcome

21 hours ago, Rwo said:

Do you meditate every time before sleep and after waking up?

at fixed time? 

I meditate first thing in the am and before bed.

No fixed time, I fit it into my schedule as consistently as possible.

I do not punish myself when I miss a day or have to cut it short.

21 hours ago, Rwo said:

Sometime I feel like I am using willpower to meditate, so I thought... maybe it's better to have a fixed routine

that NO events excepts urgency can disrupt?

ex:

at exacly, 9h30pm I will practice for 2h, if I am still not centered I will practice until feeling centered then sleep.
At exacly  6h3Oam I will practice 2h. 

I want to try that
What do you think?

I think you are setting yourself some very high expectations which may not be sustainable.

I know nothing about your experience or method but 2 hours is a long practice time.

In general we start with short sessions - a few minutes.

Quality is far more important than quantity of practice.

Some people spend hours on the cushion and never realize the state of meditation, they might as well have a nap.

Meditation requires openness, flexibility, focus, and awareness.

These are not only qualities to be sought during practice, but also in our relationship to the practice.

I prefer to look at meditation as a choice, not a habit. 

It is not work and is not a chore, it is a gift and a medicine.

A more playful and flexible approach can be valuable for the long run.

Also, while time on the cushion is important, applying the practice to our daily activity off of the cushion is arguably even more important.

Good luck!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steve said:

You're doing fine!

Welcome

I think you are setting yourself some very high expectations which may not be sustainable.

I know nothing about your experience or method but 2 hours is a long practice time.

In general we start with short sessions - a few minutes.

Quality is far more important than quantity of practice.

Some people spend hours on the cushion and never realize the state of meditation, they might as well have a nap.

Meditation requires openness, flexibility, focus, and awareness.

These are not only qualities to be sought during practice, but also in our relationship to the practice.

I prefer to look at meditation as a choice, not a habit. 

It is not work and is not a chore, it is a gift and a medicine.

A more playful and flexible approach can be valuable for the long run.

Also, while time on the cushion is important, applying the practice to our daily activity off of the cushion is arguably even more important.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your answers

I like this !

To clarify, I already practice between 1-2h morning and night but sometimes skip it, and don't do it at fixed hours.

When I say meditation this includes :

Zhan Zhuang, tai chi,  LDT cultivation,  stillness and other...

3 hours ago, steve said:

It's true I actually punish my ego for not doing it consistently enough and not sleeping enough because :

I am trying to become a very high level musicien, and a good energy healer. and if I don't meditate enough, I am clearly not as good.

But I've noticed If I force myself, because of fear of not achieving my goals, my practice is more tensed at the beggining and it's more difficult to center and completly let go thoughts.  That's why I thought well, let's make it a routine, so I don't force myself into a non dual state, which is impossible LOL.  

I am also working on that fear... but I think it's ok to have it for now so my ego can do something cool :) 

Edited by Rwo
  • Like 1

I personally keep a routine of disciplined practice at a certain time of day, which I never neglect unless there's a true emergency. In which case I forgive myself.

There are other practices that I'm less disciplined about, and do them as I'm able to.

In terms of the requirements of life (working), I like to have those in a routine so that my rest and relaxation time is spontaneous. I find that routine helps us to have free time feel more satisfying. For instance, if nothing else is scheduled for the day and you've completed all your duties, it's a great feeling.

So basically, it's good to have a balance of disciplined routine, and spontaneous play. Too much of either isn't good.

• Like 1

First off, I agree with those that have said 4 hours a day sounds like a lot.  I mean, more power to you if you can pull it off.  Lots of people meditate four hours a day and find it time very well spent.  The thing is not to get into a fight with yourself about it.  Many of us have a part of our personalities that is in charge of beating ourselves up when we don`t do what some part of us thinks we should be doing.  Beating ourselves up can be almost a full time job!  Anyway, a teacher of mine once said not to put that chastising part of the personality in charge of the meditation schedule.  Good advice, I think.

That said, I think routine can be very helpful.  When you do something at the same time every day your body will come to expect it and prepare yourself for it.  Even before you sit down on your cushion your body will be primed for whatever kind of practice you do.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Yeah, but if we keep doing things and they all turn to shit I think it is past time to sit down and shut up.  (I know that from personal experience.)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this