Sign in to follow this  
Earl Grey

"The Sadness of Living Without Sex" - BBC

Everybody wants to feel that their pain is special and unique and that`s probably exactly right.  So why do I want to tell these people that they aren`t different from so many others who also have sexual problems?  Probably because it`s hard  to sit with someone else`s hurt without offering up (non) solutions and platitudes -- and never more so than when that hurt lies adjacent to one`s own tender places.  I don`t know what it is like to be an adult virgin, but I do not know what it`s like to feel alone.

So if I could I`d tell these virgins that many, many of us have sexual difficulties.  Some people, like themselves, have never had sex.  Others have had way too much of the wrong kind of sex.  Sex can sometimes leave a person feeling disconnected and discombobulated.  Sometimes this sex is what is commonly called "consensual," though that word skips over all sorts of nuances that don`t matter very much from a legal standpoint but often matter a great deal to an individual.  Sometimes this sex is very obviously not consensual.  Sex can result in an unwanted pregnancy and lead to an unwanted abortion, or worse, an unwanted child.  Sex can result in sickness and death or the fear of sickness of death.  Sex ties people together and splits them apart.  

And then I`d say that we`re never alone, or perhaps that we`re always alone.  One or the other, I guess.  There`s nothing inherent about having sex or not having sex that changes these existential conditions. Still, I don`t think there`s any denying that sex is a doorway to a certain kind of bliss.  Not the only kind of bliss there is or even the best bliss, but darn good bliss just the same.  It`s at least as good as a rare roast beef sandwich with lots of horseradish sauce.  But not much better.  Not really.  Most of the time.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

How can you miss something you never had? Maybe living through someone else life and not ones own or something seen on TV. I do not know. I will watch the sadness of living without food for sure.

• Like 1

Maybe there is a study on the sadness of living with sex too?  

The world cannot be expected to be cultivating... sub-word is cult after all !  LOL

If the vast majority of the entire world are doing nothing [about cultivation]... and a very few are cultivating with intention... which is more natural action?

Jesus said:  Many are called, few are chosen.

Maybe the BBC is hooked on sex... 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GSmaster said:

Can you imagine life of a human. They have nothing to do beyond food and sex. Take one thing away it will be great misery.

I don't much care for one but last time I checked I'm still human.. misery is for the masses, maybe.   

But the point is taken: take something away from someone and you may see some lose in humanity...  but give up something or not care about it, and then we can see true humanity.... or raising to a level beyond humanity.  

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this