Sign in to follow this  
Mikey_Power_Up

Why do teachers offer DVDs?

26 minutes ago, Mikey_Power_Up said:

Why do so many teachers offer DVDs and not streaming video via Amazon or some other content site? 

Who owns a DVD player in 2018?

If you spend your life trying to master an art that goes back centuries or millenia, do you then have a firm grasp of the modern way of peddling it? 

Not always. 😁 

• Like 1

I'm sure there have to be some techie savvy nerdy hipster teachers! :)  When you've mastered yourself, the internet is child's play... 

I did get two decent streaming videos awhile ago, Celestial Qigong from a guy who used to post here, and I rented a Wild Goose qigong video on Amazon that was surprisingly good. 

hmnn, maybe thats why my VCR cassette Series hasn't been doing well, and the 5 1/2 floppies have completely tanked. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All the possible reasons you could think of.

Not all of them are out there on the market trying to sell. 

Some have just made an effort 10 or 20 years ago to document an endangered art.

Some cater their established audience (like kung-fu guys in their 40-60s) where DVD is just fine.

Many mostly care about one on one teaching, and have something out just to establish some little presence.

Some don't really care to make themselves accessible, you have to make effort and prove yourself.

Some have DVDs, because they sell expensive courses, and it's harder to sell expensive online content, getting a big bag stuffed with DVDs and manuals is supposed to make you feel like your purchase was worth it :).

Many actually have online digital content (Peng, Matsuo, Bisio, Frantzis, Waysun Liao, Seidman, Chen Zhongua, Ken Cohen, Yadi Alamin, Gary Hearfield, at least two former students of Sifu Wong Kiew Kit have online courses,.... just few of the top of my head, there must be way more).

Edited by Leif
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DVDs are now outdated? Wow, our culture is moving too fast. Just in the last decade they were the format of choice. Give teachers some time to catch up to the latest trend...it usually takes a person a year or two at least to put out a good product.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leif said:

Not all of them are out there on the market trying to sell. 

Some don't really care to make themselves accessible, you have to make effort and prove yourself.

It makes sense based on age and not keeping up with the times. But laptops don't even come with DVD players one you start buying high-end computers. I have come across a few more teachers who have streaming and download options. I do think that all digital content should be backed up multiple times in the cloud and even locally, just in case. One risk we have is an electronic attack that destroys servers, we could lose decades worth of knowledge. 

• Like 1

On 2018-05-14 at 10:25 PM, Mikey_Power_Up said:

When you've mastered yourself, the internet is child's play... 

When you have mastered yourself, the internet becomes more confusing....? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mudfoot said:

When you have mastered yourself, the internet becomes more confusing....? 

Not confusing, but simple to use and navigate. 

Sign in to follow this