Brian L. Kennedy

Taiji tire training

Hi Brian,

That's a really good method you have there. Most of the equipment out there is for striking e.g. heavy bags. They are really difficult to practice Jin against. They are not like people. The bags move and wobble all over the place.

I have practised Jin against a wall without emitting it of course but just feeling root and connection throughout the body to align myself correctly.

Jin feel completely different from a strike. So it needs to be trained differently.

I have also seen this technique on a BBC video release called 'Mind, Body and Kick Ass moves'. This is where Chris Crudelli explores the martial arts.

Your training technique is quite rare and I doubt if many Taiji instructors in the UK are practising it. But it is an excellent training method. I would like to add it to my training eventually.

Interesting, I have also heard about guys poking a basketball in water to practice finding the center...

Nice suggestion, I may give that a try.

I currently use a 100lb heavy bag to practice ji and an and I find it works well. You just need the patience to allow or help the bag to settle between strikes (or time it to impact on the rebound).

thanks for that Brian

i think i will have to try this one out...

apparatus training (traditional) has always fascinated me...

Franklin

Glad folks found it of interest. I do it several times a week. Too bad about it being in a movie, I thought I had invented it, I was going to patent it...such is life.

Just kidding,

take care,

Brian