Marblehead

Mair 17:1-6

"Then what is to be prized about the Way?" asked the Earl of the Yellow River.

The Overlord of the Northern Sea said, "She who knows the Way must apprehend principle; she who apprehends principle must be clear about contingency; she who is clear about contingency will not harm herself with things.  She who has ultimate integrity will neither be burned by fire nor drowned in water, will neither be harmed by cold and heat nor injured by bird and beast.  This does not mean that she belittles these things, but rather that she examines where she will be safe or in danger.  She is tranquil in misfortune or in fortune; she is careful about her comings and goings, so that nothing can harm her.  Therefore it is said, 'The heavenly is within, the human is without; integrity lies in heaven.'  When you know the operation of the heavenly and the human, you will root yourself in heaven and position yourself in contentment.

Then you will be hesitant and flexible, reverting to what is important and bespeaking perfection."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

This does not mean that she belittles these things, but rather that she examines where she will be safe or in danger.

no superpowers then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taoist Texts said:

no superpowers then

Exactly.  I've been saying that all along.  If it ain't natural it ain't gonna' happen.  The only super is Superman and he's make-believe.

The text sounds like Stoic advice: do your best but find contentment within yourself, however external circumstances might evolve.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

The text sounds like Stoic advice: do your best but find contentment within yourself, however external circumstances might evolve.

You've got it!!!

Peace and Contentment.

What more should a person ask for?

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

You've got it!!!

Peace and Contentment.

What more should a person ask for?

I still appreciate some excitement in my life. As a little child I liked building fortresses of sand on the beach knowing full well that they would soon be washed away by the upcoming tide. Now as a grown up I am building fortresses of thought and the excitement is no less, even when they eventually will prove to be pointless.....

• Like 1

Yeah, the Buddhists are really good at that - creating beautiful works of sand art then immediately upon completion they destroy it.

Yes, doing is an expression of living.

In doing:  Will it make a difference for anyone?  If not, why do it?

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

In doing:  Will it make a difference for anyone?  If not, why do it?

It certainly makes a difference for me. It's fun. ;)

It's rather that I consider not ultimately useful but indifferent things as the ideal playing ground for grown up children like myself.

• Like 1

I can't argue with your philosophy here.  "I ain't never had too much fun."

Yeah, we are supposed to enjoy life.

I can't speak to the ultimate.

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I can't argue with your philosophy here.  "I ain't never had too much fun."

Sounds like you would be an ideal blues hero. B)

• Like 1

Blues music I have.  Lots.  But I don't have the blues even though I can feel it when I'm listening to the blues.

• Like 1