Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

Thanks, Like, Haha, Sad, Confused.

How do people find these response options? Personally, I’d be happy with just the one like we used to have. Either “Thank You” or “Like” would do me. But, if we are to keep the existing options, what I’d very much like is a more appropriate symbol for “Thanks” than the crass gold cup. Any suggestions? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In that case, perhaps another option for a simple thank you could be implemented?

☮️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yueya said:

How do people find these response options? Personally, I’d be happy with just the one like we used to have. Either “Thank You” or “Like” would do me. But, if we are to keep the existing options, what I’d very much like is a more appropriate symbol for “Thanks” than the crass gold cup. Any suggestions? 

The cup is gold? On my computers it shows as white inside a purple circle.

Edited by Lost in Translation
  • Thanks 3

Same as mine.  I just checked.  Obvious?

Maybe some folks are wearing gold tinted glasses.  Cheap sunglasses?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

The cup is gold? On my computers it shows as white inside a purple circle.

Yes, you're correct. In my mind I see it as a symbol for a gold cup. But that's tangential to the subject. Before this discussion goes any further, a question for Dawei: Is altering this symbol something that could be done easily enough?

If I had my druthers, we`d go back to a simple "like" and that`s it.  Better yet, people would write out what they like (or find true, funny, or confusing) and just make their appreciation part of the conversation.  The whole business of rewarding people with likes that can be counted and categorized and awarded gold stars is a little suspect.  Our worth as Bums -- not to mention people -- should not be condensed down to a statistic based upon the clicking behavior of our fellows.  

Each of us bring our own unique beauty (and sometimes ugliness) to this board, and none of it can be summed up neatly with any kind of symbol.  I feel good when I write something that a lot of people click "like" to.  Sometimes I feel bad if I write something I like and it doesn`t get clicked.  I`ll even make note of the clicking behavior of other bums and allow my observations to effect how much emotional weight I give a given click; if I notice that a bum has "liked" the majority of posts in a given thread then it doesn`t mean much to me if they also like mine.  How messed up is all this?  Well, I`ll tell ya: it`s very messed up.

We are so much more than our history of being liked or not being liked suggests.  Some Bums are deeply soulful and philosophic.  Some hilarious.  Some astound with specialized knowledge on particular topics.  There`s no button in the world that can express what this site, and the people in it, have meant to me.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@ Liminal Luke

Your thoughtful post is much appreciated. I like all you've written and especially your wish that "people would write out what they like (or find true, funny, or confusing) and just make their appreciation part of the conversation."  For me, I'd express it as: If someone's response is other than a straightforward 'Like' or 'Thanks' then I'd wish they'd explain why they click 'sad', 'confused' or 'haha' (when 'haha' is used as derision). To do so seems a matter of common courtesy to me. 

But really, the overriding reason I started this topic is that I'd like a way of simply saying 'Thank You' without the symbolism of the cup.  

• Like 2

Interesting, the symbols reflections, reflecting inner relevance.  

The Cup to me, allows me to make it known I totally agree with the point of somebody's post.  Kind of like a nodd in agreement or a raised eyebrow at something someone said.

Really don't see it as an indicator of winning anything.  The like a general agreement ,

not quite reaching the heart of the matter.

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

It's a cup!  I thought it was a square headed person with big sticky out ears.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Until this thread all I have ever used is "Like".

Before the last upgrade, there was only "like" which Sean customized to "thank you".   I assume he decided to not customize.

11 hours ago, Yueya said:

Before this discussion goes any further, a question for Dawei: Is altering this symbol something that could be done easily enough?

In theory I would guess yes but requires Sean to agree and do it... I didn't catch what was suggested as a replacement symbol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daemon said:

So he's also @admin?

☮️

And also the site owner.  We sometimes refer to him as Tao.  Then on day he changed his name to Dao.

He really doesn't Admin that often though - he leaves that to Dawei.

We normal members get to blame everything we think is not right with the site on Dawei.

Basically, I think the Sean doesn't want to hear it unless Dawei has already heard it and has made a decision.

I guess that @sean is capable of speaking for himself about that if he wanted to clarify his position?

So, I'd just PM him directly in the unlikely event that I came up with any concrete proposals about @Yueya's excellent suggestion about an icon change for the "thank you" function. If he doesn't want to hear it, I guess that he could simply ignore the PM.

☮️

24 minutes ago, Daemon said:

I guess that @sean is capable of speaking for himself about that if he wanted to clarify his position?

Yes, but you asked me.  I responded.

So, I'd just PM him directly in the unlikely event that I came up with any concrete proposals about @Yueya's excellent suggestion about an icon change for the "thank you" function. If he doesn't want to hear it, I guess that he could simply ignore the PM.

☮️

True that.

Edit to add:

Everyone has the right to be a pain if they select to be such.

Edited by Marblehead

Can we have the following:

'I found that post overly exciting'

fountain.png?1463165587

and ... 'that post made me want to spit

drinking_fountain-512.png

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this