You practice. Perhaps you practice a little. Perhaps you practice a lot. Maybe you practice every day. Maybe you don't.

Maybe you meditate. Maybe you ruminate. Perhaps you move about, or not. You might move fast. You might move slowly.

Perhaps you read, and write, and think. Or maybe you feel, deeply. You might follow a well worn path. You might forge your own path. Maybe you follow secret and esoteric teachings. Perhaps you train high on a mountain. Maybe you train in your back-yard. You might even train at the local strip mall, right next to the dollar store. (I see you! You know who you are...)

It doesn't matter where, or how - at least not to anyone other than you. But to you it matters deeply. To you it is essential!

So why do you do it?

What do you want from this?

• Like 5

All I want is peace and contentment.  And that is the root cause for almost every thing I do.  No, it doesn't matter where I do it or how often I do it.  Doesn't matter if I am seen or unseen.

But, of course, I want peace between myself and all externals that effect me.  Awareness is important here.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

You practice. Perhaps you practice a little. Perhaps you practice a lot. Maybe you practice every day. Maybe you don't.

Maybe you meditate. Maybe you ruminate. Perhaps you move about, or not. You might move fast. You might move slowly.

Perhaps you read, and write, and think. Or maybe you feel, deeply. You might follow a well worn path. You might forge your own path. Maybe you follow secret and esoteric teachings. Perhaps you train high on a mountain. Maybe you train in your back-yard. You might even train at the local strip mall, right next to the dollar store. (I see you! You know who you are...)

It doesn't matter where, or how - at least not to anyone other than you. But to you it matters deeply. To you it is essential!

So why do you do it?

Thank you for the way you presented this important question.

It is well worth some consideration.

_/\_

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

So why do you do it?

I think for me - knowledge. I want to know the truth about everything.

• Like 3

I practice because I cannot NOT practice. Since as long as I can remember I have been insatiably curious. I read books on fantasy, and science fiction, philosophy, history and religion before I entered secondary school. As I entered my teenage years I found myself in the normal adolescent malaise. I wanted to understand, but nothing satisfied!

In my early 20's I discovered Taoism and Zen. I learned what I could. I spoke with experts. I read books. I sat in lotus and Zazen until my legs grew numb. Eventually I grew busy with other pursuits and put practice behind me. Then, years later, Pope John Paul II died, and I felt a sadness well up in me that I could not explain. I picked up the Bible and started to read. I began talking to priests and lay people alike. But that, too, did not satisfy. At a loss for what to do I returned to my old friend, Tao. I brushed off my library and returned to my meditations. I did NOT return to lotus or Zazen. A nice comfy chair suffices.

Age, experience, and (dare I say) a modicum of wisdom are doing what youth, vigor, and sheer will could not. I am growing happy, and content - secure in my knowledge. I accept that my path is not yours and your path is not mine, but the path is wide and there are many trails.

I practice because I choose to practice. I want what I already have, and am excited for what is yet to come. And if this is all there is then I am alright with that, too.

• Like 5

It's always difficult to know the reasons why we do this or that. Actually I don't think there are such reasons. It's rather that we feel the need to live this way or that way or search for still another way when we are not satisfied with the way things go. Those needs are not of our own making, but nevertheless they make us who we are. Wanting to know has always been an important drive for me, as well as desiring a more easy going general approach to life. As a young man I wanted to know everything. That wasn't reasonable even then, but now that I am getting old it is clear that I have to be more selective in making my choices for the rest of my life. There was a time I wanted to be a scientist, but I'm not smart enough for that. The best thing I can think of now is exploring philosophical Taoism and trying to apply it to my everyday life. 

• Like 1

I’ve said it before in another thread but one of the simpliest and most motivating reason I get my ass out of bed at 4 a.m. every day (most days 😉) is when I skip practice one thing I notice glaringly is less patience, especially with the chaos of my four girls. And being a better, more patient dad is reward enough but of course there is so much more...as you all know, but that springs to mind as a great concrete example of the benefits of Taoist practice. Much love to all. 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2018 at 6:09 PM, Lost in Translation said:

So why do you do it?

To follow that inner voice

To meet that inner voice

• Like 3

So why do you do it?

What happens when you take a skeptic and you confront them with directly observable proof?  If they are alone and certain that no one else is deceiving them, they will assume they are hallucinating.  What happens when they capture it on camera?  To see it directly for yourself is equal parts terrifying and surreal.  Imagine being forced to come to grips with a reality most people consider to be a fantasy. 

What I am talking about is not a belief, or an opinion, but rather something anyone can observe directly for themselves like making fire by rubbing sticks together.   It matters not if you believe it's impossible to make a fire this way, or if fire even exists altogether.  If you follow the instructions to the letter it is happening no matter what you believe or disbelieve.  Imagine the discovery of something so important and profound it would literally change everything.

What do I want from this?

I want people to see this for themselves.  I want it to reach a critical mass and spark a real revolution because that is what needs to happen. We as a society are more concerned with keeping ourselves entertained with fictional television shows, movies, games, and even make-believe religions and spiritual practices.   It's all fantasy and all for our entertainment.  We don't need fantasy when the reality that can be directly observed and objectively documented makes all that nonsense pale in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1