Lost in Translation

People don't have ideas, Ideas have people

People don't have ideas, Ideas have people:

I came across this statement a few days ago. It was in the context of how ideas disappear from mainstream consciousness then reappear again. In a sense ideas a like conceptual viruses. They spread from host to host. Just as people don't "have influenza", but really "influenza has a person", an idea can be said to "have a person" too.

Maybe this topic is worth discussing.

• Like 1

Ive likened the mind to a forest... and ideas to animals...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

People don't have ideas, Ideas have people:

Or more generally, "People don’t have consciousness, consciousness has people". I wrote a brief story about how consciousness is like a new and evolving life-form here on earth; like a new animal in the forest to use 9th's imagery. I’ve posted it a while back on my PPD here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 9th said:

Ideas can reproduce and spread throughout the mind, or walk to another mind?

or

Ideas can poop all over the place and unbalance an ecosystem?

or

Ideas wander about doing what they do and really don't care about other ideas or the mind they live in?

Hmm... I'm starting to like this metaphor.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2018 at 5:12 AM, 9th said:

I took this comment as an allusion to a paragraph in Jung’s Red Book (which I know from previous posts 9th has read).

“My thoughts are not my self, but exactly like the things of the world, alive and dead. Just as I am not damaged through living in a partly chaotic world, so too I am not damaged if I live in my partly chaotic thought world. Thoughts are natural events that you do not possess, and whose meaning you only imperfectly recognize. Thoughts grow in me like a forest, populated by many different animals. But man is domineering in his thinking, and therefore he kills the pleasure of the forest and that of the wild animals. Man is violent in his desire, and he himself becomes a forest and a forest animal. Just as I have freedom in the world, I also have freedom in my thoughts. Freedom is conditional.” 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yueya said:

I took this comment as an allusion to a paragraph in Jung’s Red Book

The idea originated with Jung. I did not know that when I created the topic. Now I need to read that book. Thanks!