Sign in to follow this  
Miroku

Buddhist qigong

Hi,

is there some good source on buddhist qigong? Some general information or maybe even some more concrete styles? I wonder whether there are some huge differences between buddhist qigong and daoist qigong in the proces and the goal of the practices.

Look into Shiba Luohan Qigong - 18 Arahat Qigong

It seems to have it's origins in Shaolin.

There are several internet resources and variations.

The way I learned it is a bit different from anything I can find online.

It can be practice with more internal focus for health or with more external tension for martial training.

In my experience, there are principles of qigong that can be learned and discovered through practice that seem to be independent of classifications like Buddhist and Daoist.

Good luck!

Edited by steve
  • Like 3

Shiba Luohan Qigong looks pretty cool.  You see quite a bit of martial (Shaolin) development from dynamic tension, and fast movement, balance work as well a slower smooth energy movements.  Impressive.

from youtube-

Published on Sep 12, 2011

This set was created 1500 years ago by a Buddhist monk, Da Mo, and taught to the Shaolin Monks in China to improve their health and stamina. Performed by Qi Gong Institute of Rochester www.Qigongrochester.com at World Tai Chi Day in Rochester, NY 4/2010. This set was taught to me by Dr. Jay Dunbar and he has a video of the whole set that can be found on his website: www.magictortoise.com
Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1

You can read a bit about Shaolin Nei Jin(g) Yi Zhi Chan in my ppd. 

It is buddhist, in the sense that you can get a grip on tings like impermanence and the nature of the mind. 

But you will also find a lot of stuff there that you also would find in a daoist tradition, or for that matter in many systems originating around the Himalayas. 

You just have to move beyond the confusion created by language, culture, and the need to be special. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 12:23 PM, Mudfoot said:

You can read a bit about Shaolin Nei Jin(g) Yi Zhi Chan in my ppd. 

It is buddhist, in the sense that you can get a grip on tings like impermanence and the nature of the mind. 

But you will also find a lot of stuff there that you also would find in a daoist tradition, or for that matter in many systems originating around the Himalayas. 

You just have to move beyond the confusion created by language, culture, and the need to be special. 

Thanks. 

Sign in to follow this