Rara

Crying When I Sing

Hey bums,

I've taken almost 3 years out of performing music and took a job with high responsibility. Since leaving last Friday, the urge to play has been overwhelming.

So I started jamming some covers for a bit of fun and realised that I wanted to build on that and perform a short set maybe this summer.

Now...

Somehow, it has just come to me that one of my favourite songs ever, must be in the set.

This song is Cornflake Girl, by Tori Amos.

I've always been aware of its themes but for some reason, have never really looked at the lyrics nor sung along to it.

Over the past few days, I crossed that line and EVERY time I sing along with effort, I find I am struggling to keep it together.

This morning I decided I would listen to the song on loop in the car to practice the lyrics/phrasing and the experience was so overwhelming. I started crying and experienced all sorts of emotions that I cannot describe.

The rain was pouring down, the sun was out and everything was just speaking to me, like my soul was opening.

Does anybody know what this sensation could be? I don't have any conscious trauma or anything related to the lyrics...part of the reason why I wanted to sing the song was BECAUSE I was male, too.

Let me know if you've ever had anything like this.

Peace and blessings to you all.

Edited by Rara
So close...only one spelling mistake this time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't sing. The folks at the Karaoke bar groan when it's my turn.

That said, when I do sing I very often feel chills running along my skin, particularly my arms, neck, and spine. I suppose that's as close as I get to feeling chi, but it's consistent, repeatable, and enjoyable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

You are being emotional.  Don't fight it or be afraid of it.  Just experience it.

I'm sure it'll pass, but man, I have to wait until it does before I'm "gig ready"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost in Translation said:

I don't sing. The folks at the Karaoke bar groan when it's my turn.

That said, when I do sing I very often feel chills running along my skin, particularly my arms, neck, and spine. I suppose that's as close as I get to feeling chi, but it's consistent, repeatable, and enjoyable.

Why do you go to the karaoke bar? A part of me thinks you're trying to annoy people :D

Yeah, I sure do know about those chills. Just these tears, lumps in the throat for this song, I wish I knew what was going on there.

Have you sung it since with the same emotional response?

The song is about betrayal, specifically females betraying females in a variety of ways.

Sounds like it hit a soft spot you didn't know you had and opened up something maybe on a subconscious level.

Embrace the feeling momentarily and keep on singing. It will release. :wub:

I'd love to hear a good male version of this tune. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kar3n said:

Have you sung it since with the same emotional response?

The song is about betrayal, specifically females betraying females in a variety of ways.

Sounds like it hit a soft spot you didn't know you had and opened up something maybe on a subconscious level.

Embrace the feeling momentarily and keep on singing. It will release. :wub:

I'd love to hear a good male version of this tune. 

Hi Kar3n - nice to see you again. Yes, I had another go this morning, twice. Same again, not as extreme...I would describe my "chokes" as more joyful though...I converted the cries into laughs.

Thanks. If I do it and get a recording, I'll send you a copy....if it's good :D

• Like 1