stovepipe

Explain "flow" to laymans

I didn't understand "flow" until my first profound spiritual experience.

How would you explain flow to someone who's never experienced it consciously?

• Like 1

Flow is the tendency of a fluid material to move from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, ultimately to achieve homeostasis.

How would you apply this definition to your spiritual experience? Did the experience "unblock" you, allowing you access to a zone of lower pressure, or did it "energize" you?

• Like 1

The flow is energy.

One way of describing it is through increased levels of silence. The first thing people notice when they experience silence in daily life is The Witness. They are able to observe their thoughts. With increased silence one is able to notice those thoughts as continuous flows of energy.

Our body isn't any different. As we progress we can feel energy flowing through us, in us, as us. Some from root to crown, others from crown to root, while others may notice it coming in from the heart and going whichever direction.

Often times you hear the term "going with the flow". This is about going with what is or if you want to refer to the first description as thoughts as flows of energy. You can think of it as being those flows and when you stop going with the flows, with what is and get caught up. You get caught up back in thoughts, in issues and suffering.

Just my take,

Tom

Edited by Jonesboy
  • Like 2

Flow is the experience of getting completely absorbed in some activity, be it dancing, reading, playing, painting, or whatever. The sense of you doing something and the notion of the passage of time recede into the background. I think it's a rather common experience and not something especially esoteric or religious. But it's precious nonetheless.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

flowing toward balance

always...

energy flows toward balance

drawn bows settle at rest

water settles in the lowest

from push to pull

and pull to push

unceasing

no hesitation

complete release

free fall

open

always flowing toward balance

never quite balanced

yet always balancing.

• Like 1

Humanity follows the Earth ---> Earth follows Heaven ----> Heaven follows the Tao ----> The Tao follows Nature

It is continuous and never ending flow.

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

As I read all the different comments I am  wondering what the topic starter meant by 'flow'. My comment took it to be the psychological term 'flow' introduced by  Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

• Like 1