wandelaar

Taoist adaptation?

As a Taoist you are supposed to adapt to circumstances like a bending reed.

But how about living in a society that is anything but Taoist. Should you then live in a non-Taoist manner in order to follow the Taoist recommendation on adapting to circumstances.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Personal note:
I like Taoism as a philosophy somewhat in the spirit of Alan Watts and Raymond Smullyan. 

• Like 2

Hello, wandelaar, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hello wandelaar,

Welcome to the TDB.

You raise an interesting question. Is it possible to live a natural way of life, in something like a materialistic city? My answer is a resounding YES, it is definitely possible - but it all depends on what you consider a "Taoist" way of life...?

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

• Like 1

Hi Wandelaar.  Welcome.

I agree.  Our every-day life, regardless of how we live it, should not interfere with our Taoist "inner essence".  We are guided by the Way regardless of what path we are travelling at any given point during our life.

There's that popular saying "Do the right thing".  This, of course, is undefinable as altering conditions will determine what is the right thing at any given point in time.

• Like 3

I like to adapt to wind by becoming rigid and well defined, like an Oak tree.

Then the wind has to go around, like wind should. 

• Like 2

Hi Wandelaar,

I often wonder about 'non-Taoist' living. If Tao is, and does not need us to follow it, acknowledge it, or even be aware of it then is it even possible to exist in a 'non-Tao' manner? My suspicion is no, it is not. So what then does it mean to live a Taoist life? Well, as far as I can tell, living a Taoist life is about intention and choice. One intends to live as a Taoist and one chooses to live as a Taoist, all the while being aware that those who do not intend or choose to live as Taoists are also living as Taoists, albeit unconsciously.

Beyond that there are things one can do to feel more 'Taoisty'. You can read and talk about that all you want. But doing or not doing is just that - doing. It's not the same as being.

My thoughts on the matter. But what do I know? I am lost as anyone.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stosh said:

I like to adapt to wind by becoming rigid and well defined, like an Oak tree.

Then the wind has to go around, like wind should. 

Good metaphor. Yes to meditate is to root like tree where thoughts pass like the wind, and spiritual cultivation also has to be firmly rooted and progress inwards and outwards like a tree, slow, firm and strong. The fluidity in daoism I guess it relates to abandon previous stages in preference of higher ones. A tree only appears to be static, but it's always growing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes , by being rigid, the tree stands tall , grass being floppy , falls over , and so the tree sucks up all the sun and water, and the floppy grass dwindles to nothing , it dies. Unless one forcibly skews the environment, the oaks dominate , the grass is trampled and eaten and just dies out. Pathetic grass. 

• Like 1

"If you follow the present-day world, you will turn your back on the Way; if you would not turn your back on the Way, do not follow the world"

Takuan Solo

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

And then a hurricane comes along and blows your hard oak ass over.  Now you are termite food.

Occasionally all succumb to forces beyond their scope. The lowly grass is smothered by a single cowpie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

And yet, within the hard oak, there is a tiny bit of give and sway, too. :)

No one is perfect. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, wandelaar said:

As a Taoist you are supposed to adapt to circumstances like a bending reed.

Hi wandelaar,

What is a Taoist?

00d302a4184976635f01770eee5ceb03--i-am-taoist-quotes.jpg

taoism-quote-1.jpg

f4055594314f2b3975becbf13165b934.jpg

Why bend like a reel?

ceead86a6bb06fee5e320cf69d8f948a.jpg

f041db8f65bebb61aa77f57ed02cae90--taoism-quotes-lao-tzu-quotes.jpg

ef2265adacedc04b32d45a39d13785dc--the-punch-tao-te-ching.jpg

Lion-Tree-Bending-like-a-branch-pamela-quote.jpg

Adaptation ?

adaptation-is-a-vital-part-of-a-response-to-the-challenge-of-climate-change-quote-1.jpg

there-is-change-by-necessity-or-adaptation-and-there-is-contrived-change-or-novelty-quote-1.jpg

94087f198fd7bc5d9969f2762141a37f.jpg

72d42f35e00e70eed29cf318c433e24f.jpg

bbb461f435a249264c9566aae86ad71d.jpg

Welcome to TDB.

- LimA

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stosh said:

... speaking of  being smothered by cow pies... 

Hi Stosh,

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

21 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Thank you all! :)

Thank you, and welcome! Some Bums are oh so serious, others are silly, some are crazy, and others, well, we don't like to tease them since it can get ugly. I hope you enjoy it here. I do, usually...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bindi said:

Be like bamboo, over-achieving grass :) 

Over here,  we're told to be like paddy plant. The more you're filled, the more you bow.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bindi said:

Be like bamboo, over-achieving grass

Hi Bindi,

bamboograss.jpg

"The bamboos are evergreen perennial... plants... of the grass family. In bamboo, as in other grasses, the internodal regions of the stem are usually hollow and the vascular bundles in the cross section are scattered throughout the stem instead of in a cylindrical arrangement" - Wikipedia

HowBambooGrows.png

Bamboo_quote_onBamboo.jpg

175218705-Bamboo-Quotes2.jpg

bamboo_10surprising.jpg?h=528&la=en&w=800&hash=B8D4B798DF460BA910B5E9FC12431B77F9DCFDD3

stock-photo-bamboo-is-a-grass-family-tree-a-tall-very-utilized-by-many-leaves-also-become-food-for-the-pandas-171551231.jpg

th?id=OIP.XFUIOIifGHMwKa00zus4XgHaJ4&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

stock-photo-bamboo-is-a-grass-family-tree-a-tall-very-utilized-by-many-leaves-also-become-food-for-the-pandas-239450851.jpg

hmong-children-or-family-outside-their-traditional-bamboo-grass-houses-B71092.jpg

BamReeds_WovenWood_Cozumel_Ginger.jpg

ae8a8941ae0eba66d3a23949fff54565--simple-watercolor-paintings-easy-watercolor.jpg

Brush-Art-Bamboo_clip_image003.jpg

13bamboo_QingFengYaYun-under-moon_2002.jpg

BambooTree.jpg

chinese-bamboo-painting-b6423.jpg

615678768-personal-growth-quote.png

- LimA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Try said:

Over here,  we're told to be like paddy plant. The more you're filled, the more you bow.

I like that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bindi said:

Be like bamboo...

Hi Bindi

4 hours ago, Try said:

... be like paddy plant.

Hi Try,

- LimA