Sign in to follow this  
Tryingtodobetter

How do I sleep through the night

2 hours ago, dawei said:

For two nights, I couldn't sleep past 3am... 

The second night I got up, took apart the refrigerator ice/water dispensing unit... looked at the dispensing flap I tried to install about 2 years ago without success (since then, no ice dispenses).   I saw the problem... and fixed it.  Been sleeping ok since.

The mind is an underlying issue for many things... it can sometimes be like a hard drive that you cannot erase something... sometimes we have to just work with the data we have stored.   I could of bought a new refrigerator too... but that flap only cost $5 and it had gotten the best of me for two years... until 2 nights ago...

Re: Purpose in life... I think you just found that sector on the hard drive...

It's been about a month for me now and seems to be getting earlier and earlier, it's around 12-12:30 now

I don't know what make and model my refrigerator is to catch it, I'm sure that it's running somewhere 

I hope I find out my purpose soon

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tryingtodobetter said:

It's been about a month for me now and seems to be getting earlier and earlier, it's around 12-12:30 now

I don't know what make and model my refrigerator is to catch it, I'm sure that it's running somewhere 

I hope I find out my purpose soon

thanks for that inter-play... I think your mind is running endless.  You could drink a bottle of whiskey to sleep through the night but that still won't solve the issue.

I think there are a few ways to go about this:

1. Find a job now, in the current situation... just find jobs that jump out to you.

2. Get some more education in stuff that appeals to your desires of working or practical side.  It can change later, just you need a stepping stone.

tell us this: What is your deep dream, goal, desire, want, passion of stuff...  folks may have a job or life suggestion.

• Like 5

If the OP and the rest of the forum members who are interested on this subject and have the time to read the document that follows, they will understand the intrincate nature of the 5E Theory and it's relationship with the Mind and subsequent healing using Chinese medicinal herbs:

Using Heat Clearing Herbs to Calm the Spirit

http://sixfishes.com/learn/edu/using-heat-clearing-herbs-to-calm-the-spirit

Hope you find it useful and understand that poor sleep/insomnia/dream disturbed sleep is caused by excess Heat that needs to be cleared up.

Best! :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Hope you find it useful and understand that poor sleep/insomnia/dream disturbed sleep is caused by excess Heat that needs to be cleared up.

I agree with this from a general TCM point of view. 

But usually, excessive heat can be felt above the ears as rising liver energy goes into the gall bladder.   If not, if the heat is in the head, one can still find it... hard to explain the areas but one can feel/find them....

While some of us here can remotely feel and clear something, it can easily come back without resolution.  

The root of the problem is what we need to address dear friend:

https://www.tcmworld.org/what-is-tcm/the-five-major-organ-systems/tcm-lifestyle-wisdom-for-liver-health/

Liver is the organ responsible for the smooth flow of emotions as well as Qi and blood. It is the organ that is most affected by excess stress or emotions.

since day 1 we at some stage were:

1. Bullied at school

2. Stressed about parents breaking up (not everyone though but many)

3. Anger

4. Lust

5. Stressed about exams 

6. The need to be better than the rest

7. Men never cry and need to be tough!

8. Overstudy and overwork

...and the list goes on.

It doesn't come as a surprise that people indulge in drugs and alcohol...their 'livers' are stagnant but by doing so you are triggering Liver Fire and the stagnation goes deeper (Wood becomes hard).

Emotions and stress affect the smooth flow of Liver Qi. It's an organ that stagnates easily and as a result it goes kaboom (fire, liver yang rising).

Herbs help but are not the solution. Meditation and energy work are plus the fact that the Wood likes movement, freedom, artistic expression...not tied up by rules and regulations. But excess Liver movement isn't good either or it will harm the Heart; hence we have Metal to do that job ---> morality, keep calm and in control of your emotions.

• Thanks 2

And another document that discusses the intricate dynamics of the Yin-Yang:

"The Stomach meridian of foot Bright Yang has an abundance of Qi and Blood from the digestion and transportation of the food. It also easily produces Heat from all these activities, that is why the Bright Yang meridian and organ are regarded as the ‘Sea of Food’, and the ‘Sea of the Yang and Heat’. One of the strate- gies for clearing Heat from the entire body is to clear Heat from the Bright Yang meridian and organ. After that it will be much easier to reduce the Heat from the other organs and meridians."

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/sitios/mednat/plantas_para_sacar_calor.pdf

Eating well is VITAL: good quality and healthy food according to your constitution, Ba Zi chart and geographical location; mindfully and peacefully and never to going to full, only 1/2 or 2/3 full. Don't eat past 3pm. Ideally all meals before midday.

Overeating, eating stressed, on the go, chewing fast and consuming convenience food are the best ingredients for internal heat and insomnia...plus lack of exercise. A recipe to disaster! Eating with alcohol is the icing on the cake. :(

Edited by Gerard

...and one eventually has to practice non-stop in order to remove ALL BLOCKAGES (karmic fires) as they are only activated at specific times according to the movement of Qi in the corresponding organ networks:

http://www.astrodreamadvisor.com/Qi-Cycle.html

It makes sense why I'm serious Vipassana retreats one is required to meditate non-stop in the last 3 days, no breaks. Only the ones required to eat (but they are better to be skipped).

I remember reading Ajahn Chah recommending a full night meditation practice for at least once a week. The Liver is very active during that time, also the GB and the Pericardium.

Also, blockages work as onion peels; that is, any wrong-doings early in life; ie. childhood traumatic events, schooling brainwashing, etc. need to be worked progressively in order to get to them. You can't suddenly jump straight down to them...the system won't let you. It is a very slow and minute work, step-by-step and some of the fetters are so difficult to beat that basically require renunciation: lust and delusion, the most difficult of them all!

Edited by Gerard

16 hours ago, dawei said:

thanks for that inter-play... I think your mind is running endless.  You could drink a bottle of whiskey to sleep through the night but that still won't solve the issue.

I think there are a few ways to go about this:

1. Find a job now, in the current situation... just find jobs that jump out to you.

2. Get some more education in stuff that appeals to your desires of working or practical side.  It can change later, just you need a stepping stone.

tell us this: What is your deep dream, goal, desire, want, passion of stuff...  folks may have a job or life suggestion.

I'm working on getting a job, even though certain facets of the Original episode are still at play, and from thinking back over the last few weeks there have been events where it's reared its head in the past, although not in such an abrupt and jarring way.

Having a difficult time gaining/finding interest in most things for some reason, even things I was interested in at a prior time.

As far as my deep dream or desire, I'm not exactly sure. I've spent so many years deliberating over what to do and how I should go about applying myself, that I guess I've built up a big mass of indecisiveness or maybe a blockage of some sort. I've always been interested in the arts. People have suggested that I actively engage in just about every medium over the years, from suggesting that I write a book, to creating music, to painting. A friend told me something years ago and the only piece that really stuck with me was "Jack of all trades, master of none" and I knew I wanted to at least gain some kind of mastery in one thing, just to know that I saw one thing through to completion and gave it an honest effort, though with all of the deliberation it's gets to be seen.

I've been in a not so good place mentally for a while, and I guess I hadn't noticed just how detrimental it was and how bad it was getting until the episode happened. There have been flare ups over the years though nothing like what I experienced several weeks ago. Throughout that period I probably played guitar with the most regularity,  and made depressive and or pretty cynical critiques on society and my personal life on facebook. 

Im trying to heal, tho it's like the twilight zone off and on with what's been happening. I'm becoming less fearful, though I'd really like things around me to return to some semblance of normality. I want to get back that life I was living before I became so disillusioned with the world and eventually practiced meditative techniques I shouldn't have been doing. 

I really want friends, I want to start learning again, I want the phenomena to cease, I want the ravens and dark days to go away

11 hours ago, Gerard said:

And another document that discusses the intricate dynamics of the Yin-Yang:

"The Stomach meridian of foot Bright Yang has an abundance of Qi and Blood from the digestion and transportation of the food. It also easily produces Heat from all these activities, that is why the Bright Yang meridian and organ are regarded as the ‘Sea of Food’, and the ‘Sea of the Yang and Heat’. One of the strate- gies for clearing Heat from the entire body is to clear Heat from the Bright Yang meridian and organ. After that it will be much easier to reduce the Heat from the other organs and meridians."

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/sitios/mednat/plantas_para_sacar_calor.pdf

Eating well is VITAL: good quality and healthy food according to your constitution, Ba Zi chart and geographical location; mindfully and peacefully and never to going to full, only 1/2 or 2/3 full. Don't eat past 3pm. Ideally all meals before midday.

Overeating, eating stressed, on the go, chewing fast and consuming convenience food are the best ingredients for internal heat and insomnia...plus lack of exercise. A recipe to disaster! Eating with alcohol is the icing on the cake. :(

How do I go about finding which diet is the most suitable for me, I'll try the not eating past 3- starting tomorrow

10 hours ago, Gerard said:

...and one eventually has to practice non-stop in order to remove ALL BLOCKAGES (karmic fires) as they are only activated at specific times according to the movement of Qi in the corresponding organ networks:

http://www.astrodreamadvisor.com/Qi-Cycle.html

It makes sense why I'm serious Vipassana retreats one is required to meditate non-stop in the last 3 days, no breaks. Only the ones required to eat (but they are better to be skipped).

I remember reading Ajahn Chah recommending a full night meditation practice for at least once a week. The Liver is very active during that time, also the GB and the Pericardium.

Also, blockages work as onion peels; that is, any wrong-doings early in life; ie. childhood traumatic events, schooling brainwashing, etc. need to be worked progressively in order to get to them. You can't suddenly jump straight down to them...the system won't let you. It is a very slow and minute work, step-by-step and some of the fetters are so difficult to beat that basically require renunciation: lust and delusion, the most difficult of them all!

I was thinking of attending a vipassana retreat, though I'm unsure of how I'd fare in my current state, monetary issues aside.

I'm pretty sure I've identified most of the primary delusions I suffer from, how do I discern the difference between love and lust? I ask because I've been talking to a woman i care for deeply since before the episode, and then when the episode happened all of these feelings of paranoia and general mistrust arose, ways I didn't think of her prior to. It really hurts me day to day, because I wake up sometimes with thoughts against her and the world and sometimes like this past night things are fine. It stresses me because I know she cares for me deeply and when I have moments of clarity I cry over what I've put her through thus far. I don't know what to do sometimes

Try to refrain from negative expression on facebook and real life.. It's one of those things that can come back quickly to haunt us. Try really hard.

It's been hard for me too, with paranoia and delusions, mistrust..

Remember to try and live for yourself, regardless of how things working out/failing with the woman in your life.

The people that are there in your life now, try to treat them like you'd like to be treated by others. Try to work towards turning the other cheek if you can.

Phenomena won't stop happening, try to work with things as they are happening, one thing at a time..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thursday said:

Try to refrain from negative expression on facebook and real life.. It's one of those things that can come back quickly to haunt us. Try really hard.

It's been hard for me too, with paranoia and delusions, mistrust..

Remember to try and live for yourself, regardless of how things working out/failing with the woman in your life.

The people that are there in your life now, try to treat them like you'd like to be treated by others. Try to work towards turning the other cheek if you can.

Phenomena won't stop happening, try to work with things as they are happening, one thing at a time..

Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it

I'm working on trying to live for myself, to find my purpose/passion

I love her and she's been helping me in big ways since the onset

I want friends, I don't think it's healthy for me to be so alone so often. 

Certainly you suffer from LIVER Qi STAGNATION, hence your insomnia problem. Intensive/dedicated practice over many years will clear your emotions. This cannot be rushed due to the complex dynamic of Yin-Yang and the flow of Qi in your channels (and the Universe you have within ---> your own personal spiritual evolution, everyone has one, this process cannot be rushed at all!! Or else will destroy you).

How to eat according your animal sign (date of birth and weigh of your Ba Zi chart). Some info here:

http://www.longevity-acupuncture.com/eat-according-to-your-type-five-element-food-guideline/

Are you a water pig? metal goat? Pig ---> ruled by water. Goat ----> ruled by Fire (small Fire; Snake is medium Fire and Horse is big Fire).

Check the above chart to see the weigh of your elements and adjust diet accordingly following this big chart:

https://www.universal-tao.com/5elements/5ElementsCDmenu.html

I personally would recommend you to stay away from social media...it furthr promotes liver qi stagnation...like society itself.

Good luck! (feel free to ask for more help if you need to).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Tryingtodobetter said:

I was thinking of attending a vipassana retreat, though I'm unsure of how I'd fare in my current state, monetary issues aside.

They are free of charge, some monasteries ask for a donation. I'd recommend you going to Asia at one stage:

https://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Asian_Retreat_Centers.pdf

Best money you'll ever spend in your entire life (airfare, food and accommodation until you arrive to the monastery).

10 hours ago, Tryingtodobetter said:

how do I discern the difference between love and lust?

Love = sensual desire

Lust = excessive sensual desire

Deep down is the same thing: it's a form of craving for desire.

Humans live at the bottom level of what Theravada Buddhism calls the Kama Loka (sensuous world)

You need to work this out through serious practice. A teacher will be required in most instances as progressing through the stages of the Mind is hard work and it has many pitfalls.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Gerard said:

They are free of charge, some monasteries ask for a donation. I'd recommend you going to Asia at one stage:

https://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Asian_Retreat_Centers.pdf

Best money you'll ever spend in your entire life (airfare, food and accommodation until you arrive to the monastery).

Love = sensual desire

Lust = excessive sensual desire

Deep down is the same thing: it's a form of craving for desire.

Humans live at the bottom level of what Theravada Buddhism calls the Kama Loka (sensuous world)

You need to work this out through serious practice. A teacher will be required in most instances as progressing through the stages of the Mind is hard work and it has many pitfalls.

Thank you for your continued aid 

How do I go about finding a teacher, as this process sounds quite involved I think I'll need to find one soon

Do Internal Martial Arts appeal to you? They are very good at dealing with the root (emotions and yin-yang imbalances), especially Xingyi and Bagua. If so, ask here:

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewforum.php?f=4

Also seek TCM herbal treatment to purge that fire and get better sleep. One example of a heat-clearing formula:

http://www.americandragon.com/Herb Formulas copy/HuangLianJieDuTang.html

Treats > insomnia.

Herbalists usually mix herbal formulas, 2-3 at a time and as soon as the healing progresses then different conditions will appear and new formulas are used...and so on. Taking Chinese medicinals is like eating food and drinking water, you never really stop taking them, only take breaks from time to time to let the system adjust itself. For instance, there are longevity formulas once people go past the age of 40-50, they will be taken regularly until physical death arrives.

One sample formula:

Qi Ju Di Huang Wan (check the formula actions)

Treats > senility

You may or may not have Heart Fire but as we are about to exit the Fire Rooster year and knowing the Yang nature of our world it is not surprising that you may have excess heat in the Heart channel. Let a doctor look after you. This is only a hint of what you should do, not a full diagnosis done in a professional setting. Good luck :)

Edited by Gerard

19 hours ago, Gerard said:

Do Internal Martial Arts appeal to you? They are very good at dealing with the root (emotions and yin-yang imbalances), especially Xingyi and Bagua. If so, ask here:

http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewforum.php?f=4

Also seek TCM herbal treatment to purge that fire and get better sleep. One example of a heat-clearing formula:

http://www.americandragon.com/Herb Formulas copy/HuangLianJieDuTang.html

Treats > insomnia.

Herbalists usually mix herbal formulas, 2-3 at a time and as soon as the healing progresses then different conditions will appear and new formulas are used...and so on. Taking Chinese medicinals is like eating food and drinking water, you never really stop taking them, only take breaks from time to time to let the system adjust itself. For instance, there are longevity formulas once people go past the age of 40-50, they will be taken regularly until physical death arrives.

One sample formula:

Qi Ju Di Huang Wan (check the formula actions)

Treats > senility

You may or may not have Heart Fire but as we are about to exit the Fire Rooster year and knowing the Yang nature of our world it is not surprising that you may have excess heat in the Heart channel. Let a doctor look after you. This is only a hint of what you should do, not a full diagnosis done in a professional setting. Good luck :)

Martial arts appealed to me in the past, though not so much in the present

An acupuncture professional I've been seeing was kind enough to offer his expertise and has filled an order for traditional Chinese herbs to help me treat my ailment. Are there any steps I could take to prevent it from being an indefinite need of herbs? Would a form of qigong or something similar work to balance things in a way where I wouldn't always be dependent upon a supplement?

I'm planning on attending a vipassana course relatively soon, though I'm worried about how I will fare given the phenomena I've experienced and healing from This event

I wouldn't take herbs from an acupuncturist unless they have completed formal studies in Chinese  Medical Herbalism. It's a ten-year study when it is for real, not like some institutions offering 1 year of study for 25 grand. Money doesn't buy the complexity and depth of Taoist herbalism. View it as a kind of apprenticeship from a master. 

10 years of formal study. If the TCM practitioner cannot show you that when requested ---> walk away.

Healing is not something you do overnight including Vipassana. Many, many retreats purifying your mind during and after the retreat, every minute of your life. 

A lifetime of work and healing.

Good luck. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gerard said:

10 years of formal study. If the TCM practitioner cannot show you that when requested ---> walk away.

This sounds nice and idealistic...but in reality, anyone graduating from a school that teaches Chinese herbal medicine and who gets licensed is fully qualified to practice.

There is no 10 year barrier. Some random period of time passing, or having any old apprenticeship, doesn't necessarily make one practitioner better than another.

I highly recommend sticking with what the professional does, unless it actually has bad effects or isn't working at all for months. Much better to listen to that person, than to some unqualified person on the internet.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this