Sign in to follow this  
Tryingtodobetter

How do I sleep through the night

I have a problem waking up during sleep. I haven't been getting full sleep for too long, as in i don't feel rested often and racing thoughts. It's been around 12 or early hours in the morning. I wake up with a racing heart beat and for a while I've figure it may be some kind of bad dream, I'm not sure. How do I resolve this issue within myself so that I can begin to heal?

Edited by Tryingtodobetter

46 minutes ago, Tryingtodobetter said:

Jm

Just shamatha at the moment

Recovering from this

Thanks. 

How about exercise, and nutrition? Do you eat well, and do you move around enough?

One thing I recommend to almost everyone is Magnesium - most diets are lacking in it, and it promotes a healthy sleep and lowers stress levels... along with many other positive benefits.

Also, what changes have you made from the time of that posting?

Sounds like exercise and things that ground/relax you would help right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

Thanks. 

How about exercise, and nutrition? Do you eat well, and do you move around enough?

One thing I recommend to almost everyone is Magnesium - most diets are lacking in it, and it promotes a healthy sleep and lowers stress levels... along with many other positive benefits.

Also, what changes have you made from the time of that posting?

Sounds like exercise and things that ground/relax you would help right now.

Walking during the day, about an hour on average. Three square meals most of the time with protein, lots mung beans and black eyed peas, and salmon, eggs and beef etc. I guess I could move around more. I'm having difficulty investing in books and general hobbies, I'm not sure how to describe it- Sometimes it's like a heightened awareness that picks up too much background stuff to stay focused and other times it's okay, it's difficult to articulate it's like a feeling of unreality and disengagement and I'm trying to stave it off for the sake of my creativity and just trying to live life again. 

I will try the magnesium

It's just really overwhelming and I wakeup with racing heart and thoughts sometimes, and a number of them are attached to that crisis time and are mainly negative and paranoid. I really like this woman I'm talking to and I really need to get all the way back to reality again, she's been putting up with a lot.

It's difficult to think too much about relaxing because I need to find a job again soon. I quit my last one during that episode. I really need to get myself back and at least start feeling some semblance of normal again. Just to appreciate the sunsets and paintings and things like I used to, I feel so far removed sometimes and I just want to feel like myself again and recover from that.

• Like 1

It seems like you think a lot about the past, and worry about the future.

What about this moment? Maybe try to remain present... and make a plan about what you can do.  What can you change right now, at this moment, that will alleviate some worries? At the same time, what are you worrying about that you can't really change?

I think if you get a job (any job, even if it's temporary and doesn't pay well...) you will get out of your own head, and be around other people. This will be healthy, and help the healing process.

Your crisis happened in the past, but not happening right now, correct? Therefor, why dwell on it? Let it be in the past... 

Also, start surrounding yourself with positive things... music that is upbeat and positive can be extremely beneficial.  Working out, which will release endorphins.  Being in nature.  Good that you eat well, and walk daily.  

The feeling of "unreality" and "disengagement" you talk about - may be just what your body needs to experience before it gets back on track.  I know it's scary, you feel like it will be this way forever... but it won't.  Things change, all of the time.  Don't pressure yourself to fix things... just let them be. They will fix themselves over time. Just make baby steps right now.

Starting tomorrow, what can you change? Even if it's little ... do something everyday...

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

Welcome to the wonderful world of herbs:

Mu Li

Ling zhi

Wu Wei Zi

Suan Zao Ren

etc.

all promote sleep.

you suffer from any of these or a combination of them:

1. Heat

2. Damp

3. Damp-heat

4. Liver Qi stagnation

5. Liver blood deficiency

6. Heart fire

7. Heart qi deficiency

8. Spleen qi deficiency

Underlying problem:

liver yin and kidney yin deficiency

solution:

Chinese herbal formula

it will take time since one pathology moves on to the next.

2-3 years or more if you are an older person and have a chronic condition.

Good luck!

https://www.sustainhealth.com.au/blog/insomnia-treatment-traditional-chinese-medicine/

note: it is a complete dietary and lifestyle change you need to undergo in order to treat the problem at its root.

Edited by Gerard

That happened to me many years ago, and I couldn't figure it out, as life was otherwise going well... Finally realized that eating a sweet snack before bed was triggering my low blood sugar, making my adrenals dump out adrenaline to bring the blood sugar back up, and I would wake up sweating with a pounding heart for no obvious reason... Stopped the sweets before bed and that was the end of the problem...  If you eat sweets at night and/or have low blood sugar, this might be your problem...

Edited by cheya
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Underlying problem:

liver yin and kidney yin deficiency

solution:

Chinese herbal formula

About Gerard's post...you need to see a licensed practitioner to come to a diagnosis. It's not true that liver and kidney yin deficiency are the root of insomnia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never have a diagnosis. I only stated that those two conditions are usually the root of many health problems including insomnia.

Now if you really want to go deep:

The Heart is the root of all disease

Another must-read presentation:

https://classicalchinesemedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/fruehauf_alldisease.pdf

If you want to go even deeper:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_poisons

The complete removal of them from the Mind means some serious business. 

:)

Edited by Gerard

3 weeks in a Thai or Burmese monastery following your teacher's clear and strict instructions which were passed on by The Buddha ---> say goodbye to insomnia! :)

That's a Vipassana retreat. When I first arrived and saw some of the seekers who just finished I simply couldn't believe it. Wow! They are all glowing and look like 5-year olds. Imagine after 30 years of practice, sainthood is within your reach.

The Mind ---> the root of all suffering, disease and the architect of your own karma and the entire reality.

Edited by Gerard

14 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

It seems like you think a lot about the past, and worry about the future.

What about this moment? Maybe try to remain present... and make a plan about what you can do.  What can you change right now, at this moment, that will alleviate some worries? At the same time, what are you worrying about that you can't really change?

I think if you get a job (any job, even if it's temporary and doesn't pay well...) you will get out of your own head, and be around other people. This will be healthy, and help the healing process.

Your crisis happened in the past, but not happening right now, correct? Therefor, why dwell on it? Let it be in the past... 

Also, start surrounding yourself with positive things... music that is upbeat and positive can be extremely beneficial.  Working out, which will release endorphins.  Being in nature.  Good that you eat well, and walk daily.  

The feeling of "unreality" and "disengagement" you talk about - may be just what your body needs to experience before it gets back on track.  I know it's scary, you feel like it will be this way forever... but it won't.  Things change, all of the time.  Don't pressure yourself to fix things... just let them be. They will fix themselves over time. Just make baby steps right now.

Starting tomorrow, what can you change? Even if it's little ... do something everyday...

I've been trying to remain present and optimistic, it's difficult sometimes in the isolation that I'm experiencing where I don't have anyone around physically other than my parents who work, and its hars for me to engage with or feel passionate about many of the things I used to and just things in general.

I think I'm most worried about finding my purpose in life

That episode keeps popping up because when I wake up at around midnight or early in the morning I have racing thoughts that are leftover from that period. Also I've been waking up in sweats occasionally, and once I had a nightmare involving the old job and that episode and I think it may be all connected. Also when I'm out in the world and driving, I see certain patterns connected to that period like license plates that seem made specifically to address me or when people repeat very particular things that the woman I'm seeing said to me. Sometimes it's like the things she says to me manifest into my life, most notably she was talking about an old model pickup one of her friends encountered in some way and the next day I saw one on the road and it's very unusual for this area. There have been other things. The overhearing peoples conversations around me has dimmed a little and I don't feel like all of their words are sticking to me.

I hope it changes it's been pretty scary at times. Reoccurring themes from the original episode.

I'm thinking about meditating more, though the reason I didn't start on it initially was because I was afraid it would empower what was already happening instead of stopping it.

12 hours ago, cheya said:

That happened to me many years ago, and I couldn't figure it out, as life was otherwise going well... Finally realized that eating a sweet snack before bed was triggering my low blood sugar, making my adrenals dump out adrenaline to bring the blood sugar back up, and I would wake up sweating with a pounding heart for no obvious reason... Stopped the sweets before bed and that was the end of the problem...  If you eat sweets at night and/or have low blood sugar, this might be your problem...

I don't eat many sweets

• Haha 1

One way of finding your purpose is to try everything with all your heart since it releases those patterns of purpose. 

You might be lead in a direction that doesn't suit you but that is ego thinking it is in control. 

• Thanks 2

I sympathize, often having a racing mind at night myself.

More meditation at night helps, the Shamantha you do is very good, maybe lengthening it.  

Also guided meditation can be a good tool.  Here's a link to one, the Evening Inventory, instead of just relaxing you, it has you bring up your worries then put them away.  Nice and short too. 

That Barry Long meditation that begins the thread is very good for stopping thoughts and the Kim Walsh meditations are very relaxing.  Try'em, especially if you could listen to them in bed. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1

Seeing that your diet includes a lot of beans, I'd look into this in more detail. From my experience, whenever I eat beans for dinner, I feel elevated level of agitation through the night. You could try excluding beans from the meal for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, idquest said:

Seeing that your diet includes a lot of beans, I'd look into this in more detail. From my experience, whenever I eat beans for dinner, I feel elevated level of agitation through the night. You could try excluding beans from the meal for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

Do you suggest that I remove legumes entirely, and if so what would you suggest as an alternative?

I suggested that you tried removing legumes temporarily and see what difference if at all it could make. If no difference - continue with your traditional diet. If you notice any difference to the better, make a judgement on how to build your diet in future. I suggested two weeks so that effects from your current diet would fully clear from your system.

As someone who has had sleep problems before, I feel your pain.  (Please see my previous threads for tonnes of info on sleep especially from the physical and environmental perspective).

If you don't mind me saying, there's no need to take your life so seriously!!  (Unless you are over 48 lol).  So what if you can't think of a career that suits you?  If you are really desperate to move forward,  then just start with a short course in a field that you like a little.  If you like artistic stuff, take an art course / cooking course / music course

if you like creating stuff, take a writing course / programming course etc.

Sometimes you can have these courses subsidised by the government if you are not working, depending where you live.  If you are really keen, you can also apply for a job in a similar yet slightly different field, to narrow down what really suits you.  Also, take up volunteering, period.  It will help you feel better about yourself by giving to others and you sound like a considerate thoughtful person.

So lets see, those things should help you with the physical, environmental, and emotional aspects of sleep.   

You sound like you're really on top of things with diet.  Eating legumes or not eating legumes before bed shouldn't have a huge impact on sleep.  Don't let it stress you, its no big deal.  Mind you can I suggest cutting sugar completely.  I cut sugar, caffeine, and gluten from my diet, and though it was hard to do (don't worry, you have gluten-free soy sauce at least!), I feel so much calmer, and my mind is less frantic.  

Whole-30 is also a food program that transformed my friend from healthy, to raging beast!!  If you are really keen on diet.  https://whole30.com/2012/04/the-whole30-forum/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the responses thus far, it's been almost a month now so I'm really hoping that the information provided will help bring this emergency situation to a close

On 4/9/2018 at 10:15 AM, Tryingtodobetter said:

The overhearing peoples conversations around me has dimmed a little and I don't feel like all of their words are sticking to me.

This problem is still being addressed.  Its not going to be solved by humans.

I think I'm most worried about finding my purpose in life

For Me it was "rest".  Instead of "purpose".

That episode keeps popping up because when I wake up at around midnight or early in the morning I have racing thoughts that are leftover from that period. Also I've been waking up in sweats occasionally, and once I had a nightmare involving the old job and that episode and I think it may be all connected. Also when I'm out in the world and driving, I see certain patterns connected to that period like license plates that seem made specifically to address me or when people repeat very particular things that the woman I'm seeing said to me.

I know how you feel.  This matter is nefarious beyond imagination.  Give us some time to help.

For two nights, I couldn't sleep past 3am... 

The second night I got up, took apart the refrigerator ice/water dispensing unit... looked at the dispensing flap I tried to install about 2 years ago without success (since then, no ice dispenses).   I saw the problem... and fixed it.  Been sleeping ok since.

The mind is an underlying issue for many things... it can sometimes be like a hard drive that you cannot erase something... sometimes we have to just work with the data we have stored.   I could of bought a new refrigerator too... but that flap only cost $5 and it had gotten the best of me for two years... until 2 nights ago...

Re: Purpose in life... I think you just found that sector on the hard drive...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 9th said:

This problem is still being addressed.  Its not going to be solved by humans.

Could you elaborate? 

I ask because I've talked with a human that was able to overcome the "people around me are talking about me/sticky words phenomena to a point where he is able to function and carry on a relatively normal life

Sign in to follow this